Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast
    National High School Star

Default Re: Obama sets a food stamp record...AGAIN.

Quote Originally Posted by kentatm
    no.

not even close man.
    Before the Government started taxing people in order to provide "charity", the churches and private charities DID cover welfare (along with people relying on their own families).

______________________ Balla_Status's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nanners
    fvcking hawker over here arguing semantics until he is blue in the face

hey moron....regardless of whether you want to call the handouts given to the fossil fuel industry tax breaks or subsidies.... for the US treasury, the bottom line is identical.

us taxpayers subsidize the profits of oil and gas companies. period. maybe its not a direct subsidy, but the numbers work out the same. and this is just direct subsidies, we havent even begun to talk about how the oil and gas industry externalizes their environmental and human health costs on to the US taxpayers.
    How much do your taxes increase when O&G companies receive tax breaks?

Quote Originally Posted by Balla_Status
    How much do your taxes increase when O&G companies receive tax breaks?

really? what a fvcking stupid question.

or maybe its not a stupid question. like they say, there are no stupid questions, just stupid people.

heres a question: how much have your taxes increased due to obamacare being passed? how much have your taxes increased due to the expansion of food stamps and other entitlement programs during the obama presidency?

last time I checked, virtually nobody has seen a tax increase in decades, and the govt is perfectly happy to overspend and run trillion dollar deficits every year.

here is a much better question you could have asked me: how much *would* my taxes decrease if the US govt ended tax breaks for oil and gas companies, and instead gave those tax breaks to the poor and needy? well, if that were the case, my taxes wouldnt change at all, because I am not poor or needy.
    Last edited by Nanners; 12-11-2012 at 10:49 PM.

An uglier Lamar Doom boozehound's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Balla_Status
    Oh, I've heard about the social contact. Doesn't mean I have to agree with it all the time.

I don't know what you meant about money-dominated view but I actually enjoy what I do. I just happen to get paid very well for it. I don't see the issue.

My brother works as an economics assistant (half grad student/half something else) and worked on a project in Chile where the government is trying to "push" citizens to start studying subjects that allow them to make more money so they can pay back the loans they receive from the government. Shouldn't people be a little more responsible and do some research about what jobs are available, salaries, job market for whatever they're studying? A "well-rounded" education (very relative term btw) is all well and good but if you're stuck paying back loans and then b[COLOR="Black"]it[/COLOR]ch about not being able to find a job (because you studied something that wasn't marketable to begin with), do you really have anything to stand on? Of course this can go in the "is college really for me" thread...

see, thats my point. My 4 yr old has heard of the social contract. the point is you have never read anything about it. How can you disagree or agree with something you dont understand/havent bothered to understand. The social contract underlies every aspect of our lives, something you take for granted.

And, no, a well-rounded education is not relative. It means a college education where you were exposed to the humanities, social sciences, life sciences, physical sciences, languages, and math. Try looking up the common core curriculum concept of Robert Hutchins. I would be willing to bet you havent read a single one of the Great Books and take the accumulated knowledge on which we rest our laurels for granted.

You looked at college as technical training (i.e. a tech school) and thats what you got out of it.

Not sure if you are talking to me, but I have no student loans and have a great job that I take great satisfaction in.

An uglier Lamar Doom boozehound's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by longhornfan1234
    http://dailycaller.com/2012/12/09/fo...-participants/

What's a shame is the shit the obese slobs that are a large part of food stamp nation are allowed to buy... frozen pizza, frozen nuggets, and cases of Big Red.
    this is something I agree with. You shouldnt be able to buy soda and candy and all that shit with foodstamps. WIC is restricted to (relatively) healthy foods, why cant foodstamps.

NBA sixth man of the year

It feels like when conservatives say that they don't want to pay for other peoples "mistakes" that they're trying their best to ignore that these "mistakes" are often children and the children will suffer sometimes cause of shitty parents.

Do conservatives think the ones that are simply "freeloaders" will just shape up and get great jobs if we take away welfare? And if they don't?

Just screw the kid... Cause him/her was a mistake anyway because keeping kids alive only should be guaranteed if the child is in the woman's body.
    Last edited by Hotlantadude81; 12-11-2012 at 11:11 PM.

NBA sixth man of the year

Quote Originally Posted by boozehound
    this is something I agree with. You shouldnt be able to buy soda and candy and all that shit with foodstamps. WIC is restricted to (relatively) healthy foods, why cant foodstamps.
    I agree.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

When 85-90% of the budget is used on other things im not thinking we need to look at potentially misused charity for the poor very soon when we list all our ills. If half of all food stamps arent needed its what....4% of the budget depending on the source? The poor dont need to be the first to get kicked to the curb. If not spent on poor kids and under(or even un) employed people its just spent on something else. It doesnt go back into the peoples pockets. Once its gone its gone.

**** it. Help the poor. Even if some dont need it as bad as they say. Greater good. Id rather help 6 that need it and 4 who dont than just 3 who need it.

How the **** could you be against food stamps? Damn I can't believe how some here are so passionately apathetic toward the poor.

So hawker's solution is everyone should only pursue career's that pay really well? This fukcing guy is so detached from reality it's hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by bdreason
    So hawker's solution is everyone should only pursue career's that pay really well? This fukcing guy is so detached from reality it's hilarious.
    Don't you know? He happens to have a job he enjoys doing and it magically pays really well.

Before the Government started taxing people in order to provide "charity", the churches and private charities DID cover welfare (along with people relying on their own families).
    Yeah, they did such a great job!

Can you provide a link to the revisionist historical sites you get this information from?

National High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by IcanzIIravor
    Can you provide a link to the revisionist historical sites you get this information from?
    Google is your friend. It's common knowledge. Get a valid education from a non-lib indoctrination center and then you will understand the nature of our history and the nobility of our God-believing people. Tell your lib professors to screw themselves. Before FDR started pushing through the New Deal, about 1 in 3 Americans belonged to Mutual Aid Societies, where they would help their fellow members and others in the community.

Those organizations are effectively gone after gov created welfare.

Please clap. Real Men Wear Green's Avatar

Google is your friend. It's common knowledge. Get a valid education from a non-lib indoctrination center and then you will understand the nature of our history and the nobility of our God-believing people. Tell your lib professors to screw themselves. Before FDR started pushing through the New Deal, about 1 in 3 Americans belonged to Mutual Aid Societies, where they would help their fellow members and others in the community.

Those organizations are effectively gone after gov created welfare.
    And you know these societies were enough? Funny to see you spout bs about indoctrination centers when you're the one that was fooled by your sources into thinking Romney was winning. You don't know what you don't know, and that's why you persistently fail to spread your lack of knowledge.