Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

View Poll Results: Why not
the Texas rattlesnake 15 55.56%
The people's champ 12 44.44%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-09-2018, 02:44 PM   #1
Bigsmoke
Death Before Dishonor

Default Who do you got? Stone Cold Steve Austin or The Rock?

In terms of in-ring ability, Mic skills, influence, and career...and all of the above
Bigsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 02:50 PM   #2
Bigsmoke
Death Before Dishonor

Default Re: Who do you got? Stone Cold Steve Austin or The Rock?

I've been posting here for 9 years now and this is my very first thread with a poll

Last edited by Bigsmoke : 02-09-2018 at 03:03 PM.
Bigsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 02:51 PM   #3
CelticBaller
You mad?

Your mother
CelticBaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 02:54 PM   #4
JohnnySic
green is good

Stone Cold
JohnnySic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 03:03 PM   #5
UK2K
NBA Legend

So here's a question for wrestling fans....

I read an article the other day talking about how someone (can't remember who it was) had won like X amount of championships or belts or whatever and it was a record...

But aren't the matches choreographed? So couldn't another wrestler ultimately break the record if the powers that be deemed them worthy of such an achievement?
UK2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 03:27 PM   #6
iamgine

Quote:
Originally Posted by UK2K
So here's a question for wrestling fans....

I read an article the other day talking about how someone (can't remember who it was) had won like X amount of championships or belts or whatever and it was a record...

But aren't the matches choreographed? So couldn't another wrestler ultimately break the record if the powers that be deemed them worthy of such an achievement?
Yes. WWE more or less works like a movie.
iamgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 03:31 PM   #7
UK2K
NBA Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamgine
Yes. WWE more or less works like a movie.

Here's the article... It was about The Dudley Boyz

Quote:
With 18 championship reigns, it wouldn't be a stretch to call The Dudley Boyz the most decorated tag team in the history of professional wrestling. Beginning in April, you can also call them WWE Hall of Famers.

Over a 20-year run, The Dudleyz won titles in every promotion they entered, from ECW, WWE and TNA to All Japan and New Japan Pro-Wrestling. Bubba Ray and D-Von count 24 total titles to their name.

https://www.cbssports.com/wwe/news/t...class-of-2018/

I remember them a loooong time ago. But I read the bolded above and thought why don't they always have people challenging for records just to drum up ratings?

And wouldn't winning and losing just depend on who's better friends with whoever gets to decide the story line?
Old 02-09-2018, 03:42 PM   #8
CelticBaller
You mad?

Quote:

I remember them a loooong time ago. But I read the bolded above and thought why don't they always have people challenging for records just to drum up ratings?

And wouldn't winning and losing just depend on who's better friends with whoever gets to decide the story line?
No, most of the time the champions are the best performers in the show

Itís like an Oscar
Old 02-09-2018, 03:43 PM   #9
iamgine

Quote:

They could do that but might get boring after a while.

They all play characters just like actors. Winning and losing don't really matter, more important is it's a good part (like how Thor and Loki are both great parts for the actors even though Loki lose at the end of the movie).
iamgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 04:03 PM   #10
UK2K
NBA Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticBaller
No, most of the time the champions are the best performers in the show

It’s like an Oscar

What do they base that on?

Like popularity? Most of those dudes are roided the **** out, but they're still pretty agile, like gymnasts, so do they care about style and ability or is it just about who gets the crowd riled up the most?

I watched wrestling occasionally when I was real little (when I thought it was real) and ever since then, I've wanted to know...

Like I think about Stone Cold Steve Austin... how did he become so popular?
Did he win titles just because he was able to hype the crowd up so much (good or bad, I guess villains can do the same thing in a way), because of his personality? Or was there something more to it, like his techniques and what not?

And who decides who wins and who loses? Do they ever go into a match without a predetermined winner?
Old 02-09-2018, 04:06 PM   #11
CelticBaller
You mad?

Quote:
What do they base that on?

Like popularity? Most of those dudes are roided the **** out, but they're still pretty agile, like gymnasts, so do they care about style and ability or is it just about who gets the crowd riled up the most?

I watched wrestling occasionally when I was real little (when I thought it was real) and ever since then, I've wanted to know...

Like I think about Stone Cold Steve Austin... how did he become so popular?
Did he win titles just because he was able to hype the crowd up so much (good or bad, I guess villains can do the same thing in a way), because of his personality? Or was there something more to it, like his techniques and what not?

And who decides who wins and who loses? Do they ever go into a match without a predetermined winner?
Popularity, in ring work, mic skills

The champions is the face of the company and the person who would be promoted the most. When you want people watching your wrestling show, you want them watching the champion

Stone Cold became popular because he was a great in ring performer, he was extremely popular and his was a master in the mic. He could talk on the mic all day long and you listened because he caught your attention

Plus he had a whole rebellious persona and people love to root for the anti hero
Old 02-09-2018, 04:18 PM   #12
Smoke117
The King Returns...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsmoke
In terms of in-ring ability, Mic skills, influence, and career...and all of the above

In ring ability: Austin was much, much, much better. Before Owen Hart nearly killed him he was a fine technical wrestler. He didn't become that brawler who used about four moves till after Owen Hart nearly ended his career. Then his knees of course started bothering him. Back when he was feuding with Bret Hart they had some amazing matches. The Rock never really showed any in ring ability at all, but I'm not sure if that is on him or they just told him to "wrestle" the way he did which was similar to Austin after nearly breaking his neck.

Mic skills: I think you could say The Rock here, but Austin isn't too far behind. Austin also had better storylines and wasn't always just spewing off one liners like the Rock did at his peak of popularity.

Influence: Obviously Austin. There is no Rock without Austin paving the way for characters like him.
Smoke117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 04:22 PM   #13
hold this L
d-y-n-a-s-t-y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke117
In ring ability: Austin was much, much, much better. Before Owen Hart nearly killed him he was a fine technical wrestler. He didn't become that brawler who used about four moves till after Owen Hart nearly ended his career. Then his knees of course started bothering him. Back when he was feuding with Bret Hart they had some amazing matches. The Rock never really showed any in ring ability at all, but I'm not sure if that is on him or they just told him to "wrestle" the way he did which was similar to Austin after nearly breaking his neck.

Mic skills: I think you could say The Rock here, but Austin isn't too far behind. Austin also had better storylines and wasn't always just spewing off one liners like the Rock did at his peak of popularity.

Influence: Obviously Austin. There is no Rock without Austin paving the way for characters like him.
While I agree overall, no way the Rock wouldn't have been monolithic regardless of Austin. He's one of the charismatic people of all time, he would have made it work. Those two going at it was definitely the peak for me, mostly because of how insanely skilled on the mic they were. Everyone just wanted to listen to them with anyone, and when they went at each other the hype was through the roof.

I like Rock a bit more, but this is one of those there is no wrong answer.
hold this L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 04:25 PM   #14
red1
firmwrist heterosexual

The legend.

red1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 04:51 PM   #15
Smoke117
The King Returns...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hold this L
While I agree overall, no way the Rock wouldn't have been monolithic regardless of Austin. He's one of the charismatic people of all time, he would have made it work. Those two going at it was definitely the peak for me, mostly because of how insanely skilled on the mic they were. Everyone just wanted to listen to them with anyone, and when they went at each other the hype was through the roof.

I like Rock a bit more, but this is one of those there is no wrong answer.

Meh. Their matches were terrible. No actual in ring ability being shown. You watch their matches and then you watch matches between Chris Jericho and Shawn Michaels and you really see how pathetic it is.

Last edited by Smoke117 : 02-09-2018 at 05:01 PM.
Smoke117 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: