Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2018, 12:52 PM   #31
Patrick Chewing
#MAGA #TIGERBLOOD
 
Patrick Chewing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: NYC
Posts: 18,532
Default Re: Tell me where you think I'm wrong here (re: gun control)

The machete is the weapon of choice in Africa and in some parts of South America.


I rather face a gun than a machete to tell you the truth.
Patrick Chewing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 01:11 PM   #32
InfiniteBaskets
Decent college freshman
 
InfiniteBaskets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,778
Default Re: Tell me where you think I'm wrong here (re: gun control)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UK2K
Well, because, in this country, statistically, they tend to commit more homicides, for starters. That pattern tends to hold true all over the ****ing globe so....

For every one country filled with Latinos or blacks with a low homicide rate, I'll give you 20 where it's sky high. What's your point? You think Chile is indicative of the homicide rate in Central and South America?

Cause I don't.

Also, lots of countries in Africa aren't even allowed to own guns, so their gun homicide rate may be low, but they're still cutting each others heads off.

Better to be beheaded than killed by a gun, I guess.

Serious question, In a vacuum do you believe Africans and Latin Americans (Or I suppose Natives pre-dating colonization Spaniards) have a genetic propensity for violence completely irrespective of their upbringing and environment?
InfiniteBaskets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 01:35 PM   #33
NumberSix
Big Booty Hoes!!
 
NumberSix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: The Internets
Posts: 27,936
Default Re: Tell me where you think I'm wrong here (re: gun control)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Dogg
I should have said assault rifle, apologies
Itís not an assault rifle.

One of the key features of an assault rifle is a selective fire function. The AR-15 doesnít have a selective fire function. The selective fire version is the M16, which is only available to the military, not the public.
NumberSix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 08:39 PM   #34
Cleverness
GSW Fan Since the 90s
 
Cleverness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,436
Default Re: Tell me where you think I'm wrong here (re: gun control)

yeah, i've kept it in mind. my point was it's tough to compare other countries when we talk about shootings, especially psycho-killer shootings.
Cleverness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 08:57 PM   #35
tpols
we already won
 
tpols's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 22,161
Default Re: Tell me where you think I'm wrong here (re: gun control)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UK2K
That's because Japan has been anti-immigration for decades.

Every country that gets used as an example of what the US should look like in regards to homicide rates is practically all of one, singular race.

And notice none of them have large black or Hispanic populations. Weird, right?
.





I cant believe you still arent able to differentiate between these random mass killings and inner city gang violence. Most people killed by minorities... like 95+% are other guys in the game. Theres a REASON for it. When poor Italians and Irish first moved here and were living in city tenaments, they were gunning stabbing bombing each other down left and right. Your racism cant allow you to see the physics of putting a lot of poor people in a small space to compete for scarce resources is going to result in violence no matter the ethnicity. But you need to learn!

These killings that everyone gets upset by arent beinbg done by minorities... the most heinous ones have all been deranged isolated white guys. Totally different context that you can be a good kid going to school and get gunned down like you were gang banging in the ghetto. Its absolutely amazing you cant comprehend the difference. Its a fear put into people because it teaches that no matter what who where you are, that could be your fate. None of us on this site have any chance of getting killed by minorities in chicago because its pretty obvious where not to go, what steps to take to prevent. Like... dont go to the ****ing ghetto in Chicago lol. Problem solved.
tpols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 09:18 PM   #36
johndeeregreen
Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer?
 
johndeeregreen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 11,009
Default Re: Tell me where you think I'm wrong here (re: gun control)

I've chimed on this way too many times before, but...whatever.

I'm Canadian. Up here you must have a license to own any firearms. There are two classes, non-restricted (bolt/level/pump rifles and shotguns) and restricted (pistols, M-16 type variants, most semiauto rifles, which are restricted to 5 round capacity). The restricted class, you cannot take anywhere except from your home to a range. That's it. Taking these weapons hunting, or for recreation outdoors, is illegal. There are also very tight restrictions on how to store and transport these weapons.

Personally, I have no need for a restricted license as there is very little you can do with it legally. For home defense, there is nothing that can beat a shotgun anyway. For hunting, you won't beat the accuracy of a bolt action rifle. Non-restricted firearms do not need to be registered with the government. Restricted firearms do.

I have zero problems with these regulations. Our gun violence here is non-existent compared to America. We have cities of 1 million plus people with 15-20 homicides TOTAL per year. Are there any American cities that can make even close to that claim? I agree wholeheartedly that we are not comparing apples to apples here, and I think a huge part of American gun violence is cultural rather than because of restrictions, but our societies are not that much different. Should that not be something to strive for?
johndeeregreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 09:49 PM   #37
Cleverness
GSW Fan Since the 90s
 
Cleverness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,436
Default Re: Tell me where you think I'm wrong here (re: gun control)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UK2K
That's because Japan has been anti-immigration for decades.

Every country that gets used as an example of what the US should look like in regards to homicide rates is practically all of one, singular race.

And notice none of them have large black or Hispanic populations. Weird, right?

You mean singular culture, not race. The culture of Japan promotes a strong sense of national identity.

hmm looks like the US ranks #94 of 219 countries in murder rate https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._homicide_rate
Cleverness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 10:00 PM   #38
bladefd
NBA rookie of the year
 
bladefd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 6,188
Default Re: Tell me where you think I'm wrong here (re: gun control)

Hey, if Trump thinks mental health is the reason, how about he stop trying to cut funding to mental health institutions like NIMH?

It's funny to see him blame mental health and sit there cutting funds to the very institutions who are equipped to handle those very issues. Instead, lets bump up military funding another $100 bil from the already over-inflated budget
bladefd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 10:19 PM   #39
Fallguy20
Suck-A-Fish
 
Fallguy20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: bangin' in your boombox
Posts: 3,994
Default Re: Tell me where you think I'm wrong here (re: gun control)

States like New Hampshire, Vermont, Iowa, Idaho (my state), North Dakota, and Montana have the lowest gun homicide rates. None of these states have strict gun laws.

I understand the theory of taking away weapons that are capable of multiple casualties. But then i'm concerned about vehicles being used to take out tons of people like we saw in France. If people want to kill people, i'm pretty sure they'll find a way. I am actually for making it ridiculously hard to get semi-auto's, even though I am pro gun, if only because it makes it harder for the mentally ill who commit atrocities to take guns from people who have them legally.

At the end of the day, we abso-****ing-lutly need to remember why the 2nd amendment was put in place: Tyranny. Our forefathers understood that a government needed to be afraid of its people. Look at North Korea or any other regime that disarms its people and shackles them. It happens TODAY.

#shallnotbeinfringed
Fallguy20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 10:29 PM   #40
GimmeThat
NBA rookie of the year
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 6,171
Default Re: Tell me where you think I'm wrong here (re: gun control)

why not talk about the differences between a body guard and a hit man

what would be your preference when it comes to self-defense?


let me open your imagination, you can talk all you want, but how would you/anyone take the news as the commander in chief when they are informed with casualties
GimmeThat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 10:46 PM   #41
egokiller
The Mind Fvcker
 
egokiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 7,711
Default Re: Tell me where you think I'm wrong here (re: gun control)

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndeeregreen
I've chimed on this way too many times before, but...whatever.

I'm Canadian. Up here you must have a license to own any firearms. There are two classes, non-restricted (bolt/level/pump rifles and shotguns) and restricted (pistols, M-16 type variants, most semiauto rifles, which are restricted to 5 round capacity). The restricted class, you cannot take anywhere except from your home to a range. That's it. Taking these weapons hunting, or for recreation outdoors, is illegal. There are also very tight restrictions on how to store and transport these weapons.

Personally, I have no need for a restricted license as there is very little you can do with it legally. For home defense, there is nothing that can beat a shotgun anyway. For hunting, you won't beat the accuracy of a bolt action rifle. Non-restricted firearms do not need to be registered with the government. Restricted firearms do.

I have zero problems with these regulations. Our gun violence here is non-existent compared to America. We have cities of 1 million plus people with 15-20 homicides TOTAL per year. Are there any American cities that can make even close to that claim? I agree wholeheartedly that we are not comparing apples to apples here, and I think a huge part of American gun violence is cultural rather than because of restrictions, but our societies are not that much different. Should that not be something to strive for?

The NRA makes too much money and the government receives too much of it. As long as the NRA exists, we will never be able to be like Canada.

In the 2016 election, the NRA spent $11,438,118 to support Donald Trump—and another $19,756,346 to oppose Hillary Clinton. That’s over $31 million spent on one presidential race.

The NRA doesn't give a damn about who gets killed by guns. All they care about is their money. Our gun laws should definitely be like Canada, but our gov will never allow it to happen. This country is too fucking stupid to look at another country and see what works and what doesn't, and then apply what works.
egokiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 10:53 PM   #42
pauk
NBA Legend
 
pauk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 17,919
Default Re: Tell me where you think I'm wrong here (re: gun control)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Chewing
The machete is the weapon of choice in Africa and in some parts of South America.


I rather face a gun than a machete to tell you the truth.

You prefer dying instead of running away from a dude with a long knife?

You prefer dying instead of fighting/grabing hold of the knife/hand holding the knife/long knife? (still recommend running, but yea...)

You and your 10 friends prefer dying from a ***** with 1 gun in a couple of seconds rather than jumping that 1 machete dude and sticking that machete up his arse?
pauk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 11:04 PM   #43
iamgine
...
 
iamgine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 13,908
Default Re: Tell me where you think I'm wrong here (re: gun control)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallguy20
States like New Hampshire, Vermont, Iowa, Idaho (my state), North Dakota, and Montana have the lowest gun homicide rates. None of these states have strict gun laws.

I understand the theory of taking away weapons that are capable of multiple casualties. But then i'm concerned about vehicles being used to take out tons of people like we saw in France. If people want to kill people, i'm pretty sure they'll find a way. I am actually for making it ridiculously hard to get semi-auto's, even though I am pro gun, if only because it makes it harder for the mentally ill who commit atrocities to take guns from people who have them legally.

At the end of the day, we abso-****ing-lutly need to remember why the 2nd amendment was put in place: Tyranny. Our forefathers understood that a government needed to be afraid of its people. Look at North Korea or any other regime that disarms its people and shackles them. It happens TODAY.

#shallnotbeinfringed
I am pro gun as well but that seems just picking suitable examples. There are plenty of countries that disallow guns for citizens and are just fine.

I also find the "if people want to kill people they'd find a way therefore guns are okay" intellectually wrong. The only reason things aren't banned is because their use overcome their negative. For example, knives and trucks aren't banned because they're very useful despite also used to kill people. Bombs are banned except in mining or military because the negative is higher than the positive for the general public. Same way with morphine is only for hospitals.

If we want to argue, then we must argue that the positive of guns for the general public overcome the negatives.
iamgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 11:04 PM   #44
Patrick Chewing
#MAGA #TIGERBLOOD
 
Patrick Chewing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: NYC
Posts: 18,532
Default Re: Tell me where you think I'm wrong here (re: gun control)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauk
You prefer dying instead of running away from a dude with a long knife?

You prefer dying instead of fighting/grabing hold of the knife/hand holding the knife/long knife? (still recommend running, but yea...)

You and your 10 friends prefer dying from a ***** with 1 gun in a couple of seconds rather than jumping that 1 machete dude and sticking that machete up his arse?


Go watch some machete attack videos and you'll understand.

Close quarters combat is usually the most lethal.
Patrick Chewing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 11:37 PM   #45
nathanjizzle
#Trump4Treason
 
nathanjizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 15,102
Default Re: Tell me where you think I'm wrong here (re: gun control)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Chewing
Go watch some machete attack videos and you'll understand.

Close quarters combat is usually the most lethal.

patrick, you have blood on your hands.
nathanjizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:


Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:18 PM.






NBA BASKETBALL FORUM KEY LINKS:

NBA Basketball

NBA Rumors

Basketball Blog

NBA Videos

Search Site

FOLLOW US
Twitter
Facebook
Instagram
YouTube
















Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy