Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I rule the local playground Inspector Rick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kwajo
    damn, I was really pulling for Vancouver to regain a team
    Would of been nice to see some Vancouverites make a push for the Sonics, but the Blazers still look like a viable option.

New Oreleans currently has less than 1/2 its original population (currently close to 200,000). For the Hornets to go back there, the NBA would have to fund them or something because there is no way they are drawing 20,000 to a game. It would be like 5,000-8,000.

BOLD PREDICTION:

Seattle's new owners will play hardball to get new stadium with a threat to move. If they don't get it they'll move to NOK.

The league will take over the Hornets (much like MLB did with the Expos and baseball) and find the right city and sell to owners:

Some possible choices:

Puerto Rico (David Stern would love this)
    Mexico City (David Stern would love this too)
    Las Vegas (All-Star game is there this year, steps are in place)
    San Diego (top 10 city in population, NBA is missing)

Link to populations of U.S. cities: http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0763098.html

Puerto Rico would be a cool place for a team, except that players would chafe living on the island.

Same thing with Mexico City.

That was one of the problems with Vancouver - some of the "brothers" didn't want to live there.

Montreal would be a good place for a team, if that team could pick up a lot of Euros and foreign players.

The only way the Hornets will be able to succeed in Louisiana is if they play 15 games or so in Baton Rouge, since it is almost the same size as New Orleans now. It really makes sense to keep the team in Oklahoma City.

The answer that would end this problem forever, is to make it illegal for governments to award free stadiums to teams. All of the sudden, teams would have to build their own stadiums, and cut player salaries to come up with the money. If you need a new stadium with better revenue generating capabilities, you build it.
    But that's something a leftist pinko commie would do. No, wait.. Isn't that what giving money away is anyways? I'm confused. USA! USA!

NEVER forget da SONICS RainierBeachPoet's Avatar

Default $$$

the stadium is an issue only in light of the desire for total control of revenue that shultz wanted.

corporate welfare is what it amounted to and holding the team in ransom with the threat of moving it didnt work

i agree that if the owners want total revenue, they should build their own stadium

unfortunately, there are many other places that will fund their desires

kudos to local officials to not buckling under.

i have been a sonic fan for MANY years but i still think it was the right thing to do. i hope they stay in the area

bellevue sonics
    renton sonics

still better than the ok sonics

we'll see how the drama develops; i havent read the details yet...

Not airballing my layups anymore KingofKings718's Avatar

They said they won't move the team, if Seattle builds a new arena, or renovates the current one. But I hope they don't move.

Good High School Starter Voice of Reason's Avatar

No one wanted to buy the Sonics and keep them here because they have the worst lease in the league. The team makes almost no money from their home games. Bill Gates is not the type to buy up 'toys'..he gives away more money than he keeps. Paul Allen would've bought them if he could've found a buyer for Trailblazers but his lease situation is almost as bad as the Sonics.

The ones who ****ed up is the local government. They making 30+ million a year off of the sonics but didn't want to help build a new arena or try to fix the lease of the current arena. They really didn't think Howard Schultz would sell the team to someone out of state. Now they about to lose a cash cow.

The fans are loyal but the politics f*cked them.

Good college starter Noob Saibot's Avatar

I guess Seattle ran outta room for another arena. They built 2 new stadium right next to each other anyways.

NEVER forget da SONICS RainierBeachPoet's Avatar

Default Re: Sonics Sold to Oklahoma Group

Quote Originally Posted by SaveThePigs
    http://www.insidehoops.com/sonics-so...p-071806.shtml

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...icssold18.html

Summary

-News Conference at 3pm
    -Don't know if team will be moved to Oklahoma.

NBA Finals

Well the way i see it is, eventually Seattle will get another team and karma will bite Bennett or however you spell his name in the @$$ so it's just a matter of waiting for you hungry Seattle fans

Saw a basketball once

Default Sonics Sold to Oklahoma Group

Oklahoma phishhooker here Im in Texas quite a bit because the maority of my family still lives there.. but there are only 3 active Oklahoma phishhookers that I know of, and that includes myself. So whatever region OK is put into is fine with me..

Saw a basketball once

Default Sonics Sold to Oklahoma Group

I think its fantastic that the new SwishMax2 will support components... just like FLASH. How can I get involved in the Beta testing??? Please advise as Im very excited about this

Good High School Starter

Quote Originally Posted by xxxSuperStar
    New Oreleans currently has less than 1/2 its original population (currently close to 200,000). For the Hornets to go back there, the NBA would have to fund them or something because there is no way they are drawing 20,000 to a game. It would be like 5,000-8,000.

BOLD PREDICTION:

Seattle's new owners will play hardball to get new stadium with a threat to move. If they don't get it they'll move to NOK.

The league will take over the Hornets (much like MLB did with the Expos and baseball) and find the right city and sell to owners:

Some possible choices:

Puerto Rico (David Stern would love this)
    Mexico City (David Stern would love this too)
    Las Vegas (All-Star game is there this year, steps are in place)
    San Diego (top 10 city in population, NBA is missing)

Link to populations of U.S. cities: http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0763098.html
    Wow, you were right on with those predictions four years later.

oklahoma is gud

THE NEXT BIG THING

Quote Originally Posted by MikeBeas
    oklahoma is gud
    lol omg beasley