Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Old 11-09-2011, 01:20 AM   #46
UtahJazzFan88
Jazz | Utes | Raiders

Default Re: Should Joe Paterno be fired/step down over this Sandusky shit?

He can't fire him when he was already retired.
UtahJazzFan88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 01:22 AM   #47
PowerGlove
By Any Means

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahJazzFan88
He can't fire him when he was already retired.
thanks for the correction, he just had an office there as a part of his retirement package.
PowerGlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 06:31 AM   #48
ROCSteady
One of One

This entire story is extremely disturbing. From the graphic particulars to a heralded mans reputation going down the tubes at the end of his life. Sports fans and their priorities overshadowing innocent lives. People wanting to tear down notable figures despite past benefits to young lives.

Paterno is most definitely at fault and didn't oblige his fellow man at perhaps the most crucial time to do do but its very sad that this will define him for a long time as a man rather than all the lives he improved with nobility and grace. Its just depressing that one misstep can negate a lifes work when overall, it was a beacon of leadership and grace.

Damn how can a child pedophile get away with that for that long at a prestigious American University? Penn State failed as an institution on so many levels.
ROCSteady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 09:58 AM   #49
StateProperty
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

AP reporting he'll retire at the end of the season.
StateProperty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 10:09 AM   #50
irondarts

Quote:
Originally Posted by StateProperty
AP reporting he'll retire at the end of the season.
He should be fired.
irondarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 11:00 AM   #51
JMT
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by irondarts
He should be fired.

He should step down, especially now that it's been released that they're willing to wait until the end of the season. He could salvage some semblance of dignity by taking the initiative.
JMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 11:11 AM   #52
Tarik One
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by irondarts
He should be fired.

He probably did get fired behind closed doors. But I understand your point. Perhaps the University should have come forward and dismissed him themselves. That would have made a huge statement

Last edited by Tarik One : 11-09-2011 at 11:13 AM.
Tarik One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 11:12 AM   #53
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs

It's crazy that he still has so many supporters on campus. If I was a Penn State student, I'd be looking for the first ticket out of town, to another university.
mlh1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 11:21 AM   #54
ROCSteady
One of One

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh1981
It's crazy that he still has so many supporters on campus. If I was a Penn State student, I'd be looking for the first ticket out of town, to another university.

Me too. However, the majority of college kids still abide by a mob mentality and are very sheepish so their 'school spirit' aka drunken causes are suited to supporting the godfather of PSU. I can't believe that many idiot kids are looking right past the real issue here just to back up their once proud football program. Pathetic
ROCSteady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 11:23 AM   #55
Tarik One
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:

I guess when have a bunch of teenagers who grew up practically worshipping someone, it's not gonna be easy to sway them the other way.

We had a similar situation with R. Kelly. In spite of the charges against him, not to mention video footage, fans were swarming the courthouse during the preliminaries and trial.
Tarik One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 11:36 AM   #56
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Quote:

You should see some of the stuff popping up on my facebook feed.

"I stand by Joe"
"PSU is the greatest university in the world and only people that went here can understand the experience..."

blah blah blah

It's some pathetic shit.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 02:14 PM   #57
Sarcastic
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Joe is being selfish saying he wants to finish the season. He needs to step down today.
Sarcastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 02:53 PM   #58
Godzuki
NBA Superstar

i've been listening to this 24/7 on sports radio....theres a lot of other crazy shit they're talking about like how the initial investigator was found dead and his hard drive stolen....

i also don't think we're getting the truth of what Paterno was told. it doesn't make sense with his statement of "had he known...", its very possible he was told something not nearly as graphic of what we've read....hell it doesn't make sense at all that if they were told point blank someone witnessed Sandusky raping a 10yr old, that Paterno or any of those school officials would sweep it under the rug. idc whats at stake in terms of Penn States rep, they aren't that dumb....and we're only reading one side of it from the prosecutors indictment.

i also think a lot of people are unfairly trying to punish people who weren't involved like its a lynch mob mentality right now. the stuff i'm hearing on the radio with callers is pretty nuts. like they should forfeit the season...

the hosts are also acting like the Board needs to fire Paterno instead of letting him dictate when he steps down. its like Paterno is being made the scapegoat before there is even a trial or all of the facts are out.
Godzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 03:17 PM   #59
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Yeah joe pa was told something less graphic. The grand jury documents say otherwise. Sandusky was in trouble in 1998. He was exposed then. So what joe pa was totally oblivious to the allegations? That in 2002 when he was told something less graphic it never occurred to joe pa "wait this guy is still messing with kids?".

The case is simple a bunch of dudes lookin out for themselves because no one wanted to be the one to bring that negative attetion to the university. Janitor was afraid he lose his job if he did the right thing. Grad student knew sadusky personally as well as his dad. So they didn't want to expose a family friend. Joe pa relationship with Sandusky was well documented. No one cared about the kids just themselves.

Not hard to understAnd
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 03:24 PM   #60
UtahJazzFan88
Jazz | Utes | Raiders

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
Yeah joe pa was told something less graphic. The grand jury documents say otherwise. Sandusky was in trouble in 1998. He was exposed then. So what joe pa was totally oblivious to the allegations? That in 2002 when he was told something less graphic it never occurred to joe pa "wait this guy is still messing with kids?".

The case is simple a bunch of dudes lookin out for themselves because no one wanted to be the one to bring that negative attetion to the university. Janitor was afraid he lose his job if he did the right thing. Grad student knew sadusky personally as well as his dad. So they didn't want to expose a family friend. Joe pa relationship with Sandusky was well documented. No one cared about the kids just themselves.

Not hard to understAnd

+1, and Paterno's little pep rally at his house disgusts me too.
UtahJazzFan88 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: