Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 07-15-2009, 12:59 PM   #1
RidonKs
rank sentamentalist

Default Take Time To Talk Turntables Today (Lenco L78)

I've been contemplating buying one for myself the past few weeks, and I just stumbled across this:

That costs $169, with a brand new stylus. I'm told it's a fantastic deal, and is one of the only machines you can find that happens to play 78's, just in case I happen to stumble across any during my treasure hunts.

Any seasoned musical vets on ISH able to confirm the value of this machine in comparison to its tagged price? I've read good things about the brand, but most everything on the net concerns the much more popular L75 (although from what I understand, the 78 is a direct improvement upon the 75, with an added auto-stop), and the 78 didn't get nearly as much play.

Any help will be appreciated. Not repped, but appreciated.
RidonKs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 02:24 PM   #2
LJJ
Extra Cheese

Default Re: Take Time To Talk Turntables Today (Lenco L78)

There has been a thread on this. You should look it up, it was pretty big I think.

I actually used to have of those (well, a 75), and they are pretty good.

But my advice? Go do a search through your phone book. Any peeps you know over 35? Friends, family, whatever. Chances are a couple of them have turntables collecting dust in the attic that you can have for a small price/free. And chances are that some of those are going to be of higher quality than what you are about to drop $170 on.
LJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 02:32 PM   #3
RidonKs
rank sentamentalist

You actually gave me that advice before (likely in that other thread), and I checked around for a little while without much luck. I came across a few and tried them, but none worked well enough to bother keeping. And when I buy new records, I don't want to be spinning them on a ****ty table with an old needle.

I was pretty sure I wanted to buy something new, probably for between $350-450, but now I've stumbled upon this. I'm leaning towards getting it, but I thought I'd check out what ISH residents had to say.
Old 07-15-2009, 02:35 PM   #4
LJJ
Extra Cheese

Damn, I guess I got lucky or something. I got four good quality turntables at the crib right now, all for free.
LJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 02:41 PM   #5
loot
H.U.M.A.N. World

I just gave away Technics SL 120's. They were decent, but not great. This looks okay, but I wouldnt pay that much money for this one. At 170$ you could almost buy something new from Numark.
loot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 06:17 PM   #6
RidonKs
rank sentamentalist

Update: I did buy the Lenco - a pretty solid machine with a good rep, and coming with a brand new stylus and cartridge. Having bought it on my lunch break, I went back to work and told everybody about it. First thing out of somebody's mouth is this:

Quote:
have turntables collecting dust in the attic that you can have

My manager had a fully automatic SL 5300 just sitting around in her basement. She brought it in, I checked it out (without an amp of course), and it seemed to work fine. I brought it home and gave it a shot, and of course it made no sound - a mystery until I took a peek at the stylus and found that it wasn't even correctly fastened into the cartridge, and the needle was literally hanging from a thread. Anyway, long story short, I brought the lenco back and instead paid $110 less for a brand new Technics cartridge/stylus combo (and one that's easily replaceable should something happen to it). I just got home, through on Dark Side immediately, and it sounds great.

Next up: New hi-fi cans

All in all, I'm incredibly frickin' pleased right now, and think you all should give me a hearty pat on the back, and maybe even a "good on ya, you deserve it bud". Because I do. I really really do.

PS. Couple of pics of my new super fly baby

Old 08-10-2009, 06:21 PM   #7
i seen hippos
NBA Superstar

Save money. Spend $1500-2000 on a decent setup.
i seen hippos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 06:58 PM   #8
RidonKs
rank sentamentalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by i seen hippos
Save money. Spend $1500-2000 on a decent setup.
I don't have the cash for that right now, and as it stands, I just want my own set-up - even if it isn't anything more than mediocre. As much as I'd love to spend that type of money (and much much more), it's not going to happen at the moment. Instead I've got to deal with some used (although quite solid) speakers, and what I imagine is probably a pretty ****ty integrated amp. I am going to splurge a little on headphones, although I'm also keeping my eyes on SlickDeals in hopes of a deal.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: