Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Backcourt

Good college starter

Default The Backcourt

I honestly have a feeling that Rodney Stuckey will leave the Pistons and go to a contending team like the Bulls.

In the event that the Stuckey leaves, do you think a backcourt of Brandon Knight and Terrico White would be good to rebuild around?

I think the Pistons should do like the Blazers and Thunders and rebuild through the draft.

Here are some SGs, that will probably enter the draft in 2012 that the Pistons should keep an eye on.

Austin River from Duke,
    John Jenkins from Vanderbilt
    Jeremy Lamb from UConn
    Doron Lamb from Kentucky
    Glen Rice Jr from GA Tech
    Will Barton from Memphis
    Michael Snaer from Florida State
    Lorenzo Brown from North Carolina State
    Reggie Bullock from UNC
    Maurice Creek from Indiana
    Brandon Paul from Illinois
    Tim Hardaway Jr from Michigan
    William Burford from Ohio State
    Orlando Johnson from UC Santa Barbara
    Tony Mitchell from Alabama
    Trent Lockett from Arizona State
    Terrence Ross from Washington
    K.T. Harrell from Virginia
    Andre Dawkins from Duke
    Jared Cunningham from Oregon State
    Allen Crabbe from California
    Anthony Brown from Stanford
    CJ Wilcox from Washington
    Cameron Clark from Oklahoma

NBA lottery pick

Default Re: The Backcourt

If Stuckey leaves that means either Gordon or Hamilton starts with Knight. A back court of White and Knight pretty much guarantees us a lottery pick. I definitely want a lottery pick again next year rather than just being a mediocre team. It's the only way we're going to be contenders again. With Monroe, Knight, and another solid young star we could be a very talented team again, especially with the other role players we already have. This years draft is going to have better big men. I'd much rather go after size since a PG/SG can be drafted almost any year. Plus we're deep at that spot anyhow.

With that said, I don't like the idea of giving up Stuckey. I highly doubt he would end up on the Bulls. He's a restricted FA so they wouldn't be able to offer him enough without Detroit matching. Of course this is if the rules on that part of free agency remain the same or similiar to what they used to be, which will probably be the case. With the players losing money in this deal and the cap more than likely coming down a bit I don't see how a contender can sign him. Miami, Chicago, LA, Boston, OKC, etc don't have an extra 8 to 10 million to give a guy. I think it's far more likely we'll see Stuckey resign and then we'll move Rip (finally) and/or BG.

Good college starter

I'm still think the Pistons should trade Rodney Stuckey. He just seem like a mismatch for this team.

I like what I've been seeing and hearing about Middeleton and English

http://www.nba.com/pistons/features/...ns_120919.html

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by idizzle
    I'm still think the Pistons should trade Rodney Stuckey. He just seem like a mismatch for this team.

I like what I've been seeing and hearing about Middeleton and English

http://www.nba.com/pistons/features/...ns_120919.html
    There's no way either of those players are even close to Stuckey's level. It would be a long season for us if we had to start one of those two players. I'd love to have the chance to draft Shabazz Muhommad. We'd be a contender again at that point. I doubt we'd be that bad though. I'd rather wait and see what happens at this point.

o()xxx[{::::::::::::> SourPatchKids's Avatar

Is Brandon Knight the future franchise PG?

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by SourPatchKids
    He's shown signs of it, but it's yet to be determined. There were times last year he looked like he would eventually be the best rookie PG. There were also times he just looked like a rookie. I think this season will say a lot about how Knights career ends up. It looks like he has worked at being more of a distributor. Off the top of my head I think he lead the summer league in assists. He comes in this year pretty much guaranteed to start (which he didn't last year) so that has to be a boost of confidence to him. The kid can definitely play. Hopefully he's a really hard worker too and we'll see some progress in his game this season.

Local High School Star Aussie Dunker's Avatar

To answer your question - Definitely

Inconsistent as you would expect from a rookie, but strip that away and there is so much natural talent just waiting to be tapped into. He has the athleticism needed to excel in today's game, with a great dish and drive game as well as a great perimeter game and very active defense. He is only a baby in the big scheme of things but there is no reason he shouldn't develop into a premier point guard in this league... He has a couple of young big studs in Monroe and Drummond who he should mesh well with over the next 5-7 years...

Good college starter

NBA lottery pick

Yeah, I read something about that last week. It's really hard to see Flynn making the squad. I really wonder how well Williams could fare as a PG though. Obviously his size advantage there would be huge, but I don't really see him as a guy who runs the offense and creates for others. He seems like a more natural SG. Maybe they view him like a Russell Westbrook type. Who do they cut to keep Williams though?

Quote Originally Posted by dd24
    Yeah, I read something about that last week. It's really hard to see Flynn making the squad. I really wonder how well Williams could fare as a PG though. Obviously his size advantage there would be huge, but I don't really see him as a guy who runs the offense and creates for others. He seems like a more natural SG. Maybe they view him like a Russell Westbrook type. Who do they cut to keep Williams though?
    Hopefully Charlie V!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Dunker
    To answer your question - Definitely

Inconsistent as you would expect from a rookie, but strip that away and there is so much natural talent just waiting to be tapped into. He has the athleticism needed to excel in today's game, with a great dish and drive game as well as a great perimeter game and very active defense. He is only a baby in the big scheme of things but there is no reason he shouldn't develop into a premier point guard in this league... He has a couple of young big studs in Monroe and Drummond who he should mesh well with over the next 5-7 years...
    So what do you do with Stuckey? He's still young and yet to peak.

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Dunker
    Hopefully Charlie V!!!
    I hear ya! Unfortunately, we all know that isn't going to happen.... Charlie will be a Piston for another season.

Stuckey is the 2 now, hence getting rid of Ben Gordon.

Well Stuckey has had the keys to our franchise since Chauncey got traded, but now he is about the 4th priority for us after Monroe, Knight and Drummond... He will be starting at the 2-guard spot, and hopefully him and Knight form an exciting up-tempo duo for many years to come. Stuckey is still our go to scorer... But if things don't work out, Stuckey will be the one they look to move...