Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2014, 08:25 PM   #61
NuggetsFan
Nuggets/Avs/Broncos.
 
NuggetsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: NuggetNation.
Posts: 10,083
Default Re: The hypocrisy of hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmacattack33
In hockey you're on skates. No one can get leverage on a punch if they're on skates. They also have pads.

So it's usually not even that bad.

Not really. People want it gone because the damage it's doing to players brains, similar to protecting the QB in football. Yeah alot of the times it's nothing seriously but you can get some real crazy one's going. Earlier in the year I believe Parros had a nasty fall. I guess your not aloud to remove your helmet anymore, fights nowadays are nowhere near as bad they use to be.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKWBupArhpE

Those are some bombs tho. Much more than what you see with basketball players flicking there wrists
NuggetsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 08:31 PM   #62
NuggetsFan
Nuggets/Avs/Broncos.
 
NuggetsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: NuggetNation.
Posts: 10,083
Default Re: The hypocrisy of hockey

To clarify it's deff the history and how long it's been around. You got kicked out for fighting when I was a kid but you still did it. You seen guys like Tie Domi sticking up for teammates so you wanted to do the same. As you advance the fighting continues regardless of punishment. So for NHL players they've seen it on every level just like they see goals and assists, same with fans.

For the record last nights activities will be on the hot seat among NHL fans. Esp Torts going after Hartley during the intermission, the coaches. Check out an NHL forum, some do consider what Hartley did a major offense. He started his 4th line looking for a fight and Torts was forced to match thus creating the mayhem.
NuggetsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 08:42 PM   #63
tpols
we already won
 
tpols's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 22,331
Default Re: The hypocrisy of hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Getter
You mean like beating someone over the head with a stick?
nah

like bynum hitting barea at the end of the LA series.. artest and pretty much all his incidents.. if you put Ben Wallace and Ron Artest on ice and let them duke it out Artest never goes into the stands. All the animosity is gone after the fight.. nothing builds up.
tpols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 10:48 PM   #64
Go Getter
Wild 100's
 
Go Getter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: The Wasatch Range
Posts: 13,860
Default Re: The hypocrisy of hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen_one6


You weren't specific.

The ignorance about the sport and fighting just comes from a lack of understanding of the sport. A few posters have already eloquently stated why fighting is around in hockey and the impact it can have. Some people say hockey is an irrelevant sport or that it's boring to watch but I say those people don't know what they're talking about.


I see what you're saying but I don't agree. Hockey players get a pass for thuggish behavior. They staged a fight and no one in here called them classless or selfish but Sherman said snide comments after the game and he is a goon, a thug, someone who needs to be shut up.
Go Getter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 10:51 PM   #65
Go Getter
Wild 100's
 
Go Getter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: The Wasatch Range
Posts: 13,860
Default Re: The hypocrisy of hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpols
nah

like bynum hitting barea at the end of the LA series.. artest and pretty much all his incidents.. if you put Ben Wallace and Ron Artest on ice and let them duke it out Artest never goes into the stands. All the animosity is gone after the fight.. nothing builds up.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcgivAeVlI4

Hockey players fight fans too.

Artest didn't initiate the fight he got a beer thrown on him. Domi squirted the fans with water and started the confrontation. Still, Artest is the def. of sports bad boy...
Go Getter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 11:11 PM   #66
JtotheIzzo
NBA Superstar
 
JtotheIzzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Wolviapolis
Posts: 14,734
Default Re: The hypocrisy of hockey

Hockey has fighting because:

1-protect the smaller skill players who could easily be taken out within the rules of this full contact game(important to remember). Wayne Gretzky's records are so amazing because he played so many years with an unskilled bodyguard (Dave Smenko) on his line. The reason why is a guy like him dancing around the ice is equivalent to a quarterback running wild out of the pocket...he could get drilled, so if someone takes umbrage, there is someone there to make sure they pay for it.

Fighting is an added deterrent to hard hits on the less physical players.

Not everyone fights, players know this, there are guys who are there to score, and muckers. The muckers tend to mingle with each other, when they go at a star or a goalie, their counterpart muckers will sort them out.

You would never see a goon go after a top shelf, non-physical star, and the reason why is it goes again the unwritten rules of the game which are policed through fighting.

2-keep the stick work to a minimal. you hit someone with your stick, you can guarantee you will get a fist in your mouth before the end of the game. if you follow every nasty piece of stick work, there is almost 100% of the time a fight involving the guilty party shortly there after.

3-there is a method to fighting, rare are there cheapshots in a fight and rarely does a fight end where there is not a 'good job' or some exchange at the end. it is an intricate and necessary part of the game, without there would be more injuries and more stoppages in play because everything would need to go through the officiating and the dirty players would have a field day.
JtotheIzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 11:13 PM   #67
Go Getter
Wild 100's
 
Go Getter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: The Wasatch Range
Posts: 13,860
Default Re: The hypocrisy of hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by JtotheIzzo
Hockey has fighting because:

1-protect the smaller skill players who could easily be taken out within the rules of this full contact game(important to remember). Wayne Gretzky's records are so amazing because he played so many years with an unskilled bodyguard (Dave Smenko) on his line. The reason why is a guy like him dancing around the ice is equivalent to a quarterback running wild out of the pocket...he could get drilled, so if someone takes umbrage, there is someone there to make sure they pay for it.

Fighting is an added deterrent to hard hits on the less physical players.

Not everyone fights, players know this, there are guys who are there to score, and muckers. The muckers tend to mingle with each other, when they go at a star or a goalie, their counterpart muckers will sort them out.

You would never see a goon go after a top shelf, non-physical star, and the reason why is it goes again the unwritten rules of the game which are policed through fighting.

2-keep the stick work to a minimal. you hit someone with your stick, you can guarantee you will get a fist in your mouth before the end of the game. if you follow every nasty piece of stick work, there is almost 100% of the time a fight involving the guilty party shortly there after.

3-there is a method to fighting, rare are there cheapshots in a fight and rarely does a fight end where there is not a 'good job' or some exchange at the end. it is an intricate and necessary part of the game, without there would be more injuries and more stoppages in play because everything would need to go through the officiating and the dirty players would have a field day.


Why are the rules policed by fighting and not the FO? Regulations from the commissioner, in theory, could stop all that drama.

If hockey players like to make millions playing a children's game they will comply, no?

Last edited by Go Getter : 01-19-2014 at 11:37 PM.
Go Getter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 11:33 PM   #68
NuggetsFan
Nuggets/Avs/Broncos.
 
NuggetsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: NuggetNation.
Posts: 10,083
Default Re: The hypocrisy of hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Getter
Why are the rules policed by fighting and not the FO?

If hockey players like to make millions playing a children's game they will comply, mo?

You do realize fighting in hockey goes beyond the NHL right? and like I said history of the game. They made fighting a major back in the 20's. That's a whole lot of seasons where fighting is a 5 minute major. Nobody cares because that's the way it's always been, thats hockey
NuggetsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 11:41 PM   #69
hateraid
Is it in you?
 
hateraid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: In your local 7-11 freezers
Posts: 15,834
Default Re: The hypocrisy of hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Getter
Why are the rules policed by fighting and not the FO? Regulations from the commissioner, in theory could stop all that drama.

If hockey players like to make millions playing a children's game they will comply, no?

Because fighting has worked since it's inception, so why change it?

and fighting is not that "classless" in the NHL as you're making it out to be. There is a gentlemanly agreement with combatants and monitored closely by the refs. Rarely is there a major injury.
hateraid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 11:42 PM   #70
Go Getter
Wild 100's
 
Go Getter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: The Wasatch Range
Posts: 13,860
Default Re: The hypocrisy of hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuggetsFan
You do realize fighting in hockey goes beyond the NHL right? and like I said history of the game. They made fighting a major back in the 20's. That's a whole lot of seasons where fighting is a 5 minute major. Nobody cares because that's the way it's always been, thats hockey


I like the fighting in hockey. I would not like it to change.

My thing is:

Hockey player fights=it's a part of the game; it's how it's always been
Football player fight=he's a thug/goon/poor role model

Which is crazy because the whole game is a shoving match.

Sherman talked trash after a game and he is a thug but hockey players stage a fight and it's shrugged off -- it seems like a double standard to me.
Go Getter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 11:42 PM   #71
flipogb
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 4,872
Default Re: The hypocrisy of hockey

because football sucks thats why
flipogb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 11:44 PM   #72
Go Getter
Wild 100's
 
Go Getter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: The Wasatch Range
Posts: 13,860
Default Re: The hypocrisy of hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by hateraid
Because fighting has worked since it's inception, so why change it?

and fighting is not that "classless" in the NHL as you're making it out to be. There is a gentlemanly agreement with combatants and monitored closely by the refs. Rarely is there a major injury.

I never tried to make it out as a classless act [only the extreme instances where a person was beat with a stick]...I'm wondering why fighting in hockey is seen as tough but in other sports it's seen as classless.
Go Getter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 11:52 PM   #73
Styles p
NBA rookie of the year
 
Styles p's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 6,449
Default Re: The hypocrisy of hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Getter
I never tried to make it out as a classless act [only the extreme instances where a person was beat with a stick]...I'm wondering why fighting in hockey is seen as tough but in other sports it's seen as classless.
BECAUSE FIGHTING IS NOT PART OF OTHER GAMES what do you not understand? it's expected in hockey.
Styles p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 11:53 PM   #74
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies
 
GOBB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Illadelph live 215
Posts: 47,341
Default Re: The hypocrisy of hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by hateraid
Because fighting has worked since it's inception,.

See, inception can be done!
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 12:10 AM   #75
Go Getter
Wild 100's
 
Go Getter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: The Wasatch Range
Posts: 13,860
Default Re: The hypocrisy of hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styles p
BECAUSE FIGHTING IS NOT PART OF OTHER GAMES what do you not understand? it's expected in hockey.


I don't understand why it is EXPECTED in hockey.

I don't understand why hockey players are allowed to regulate themselves and the NHL doesn't do it.

I don't understand why hockey fights are seen as an act of toughness but in other sports it is seen as an act of classlessness.

*The only sports that fighting should be a part of is boxing, wrestling, martial arts, and MMA.
Go Getter is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:


Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:54 AM.






NBA BASKETBALL FORUM KEY LINKS:

NBA Basketball

NBA Rumors

Basketball Blog

NBA Videos

Search Site

FOLLOW US
Twitter
Facebook
Instagram
YouTube
















Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy