Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Utah Jazz Forum

Utah Jazz Forum Utah Jazz forum - Utah Jazz message board

Old 09-17-2018, 12:36 PM   #781
Xiao Yao You
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Default Re: 2018 off-season

The sole purpose for Wade was to infuse his knowledge of the game into the next generation of rising stars. “No one said you had to like the process but you must love it,” Wade shared via Instagram, alongside a photo next to Mitchell. “Basketball. Body. Recovery. Business. Taking what I’ve learned over the years and passing it down to the next generation!” – via Deseret News

Even during exit interviews, Mitchell vowed to soak in as much knowledge as possible to return as a better player for his sophomore year. “I’m going to be training with any NBA great possible that I can get in contact with just to pick their brain,” Mitchell foreshadowed. “This isn’t a victory lap summer. It’s been a great year, but in my head there’s a lot more to work on.” – via Deseret News

Mitchell logged a rookie-best 20.5 points per game as the first rookie to lead a 45-win team in scoring since San Antonio’s David Robinson in 1989-90. “He’s definitely ready,” Wade tweeted Sunday. – via Deseret News
Xiao Yao You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 04:31 PM   #782
Xiao Yao You

Quote:
Keith Pompey: The #Sixers ownership group had dinner last night w/ Utah Jazz assistant general manager Justin Zanik on Sunday for their vacant GM job and will have dinner w/ Houston Rockets vice president Gersson Rosas tonight, according to sources. This is both candidates second interview. pic.twitter.com/r7OH8w1gsD – via Twitter PompeyOnSixers

Derrick Favors: Former Salt Lake Tribune writer Tony Jones has agreed to join The Athletic to cover the Utah Jazz and NBA, according to league sources #rumors – via Twitter dfavors14

Favs with a scoop!
Old 09-17-2018, 05:34 PM   #783
Xiao Yao You

Quote:
Rodney Hood would like to re-introduce himself to Cleveland. Why? Because he plans on staying here a while. Hood accepted the Cavs’ one-year, $3.4 million qualifying offer on Sept. 9, following a summer of not getting the money he wanted in a contract from either Cleveland or the eight teams he said expressed interest. – via Cleveland Plain Dealer

So Hood took the Cavs’ one-year deal with the full intention of earning a much more lucrative contract from them next summer when he’ll be an unrestricted free agent. “I believe strongly in myself that after this year I’ll be able to make Cleveland my home and we’ll get a better deal next summer,” Hood told cleveland.com Monday in a wide-ranging interview. – via Cleveland Plain Dealer

Son Rich and daughter Riley had some nerve, refusing to sleep through the night while dad was trying to help the Cavs beat the Pacers. There was also the matter of playing alongside LeBron, in what turned out to be his last year in Cleveland, with his Finals streak on the line. Losses were magnified. Wins were expected. Every shot was either taken by LeBron or facilitated through him, or so it seemed. Hood doesn’t use those items as excuses, exactly. It’s just, well, that’s what was happening around him while he was dealing with the worst stretch of his pro career. – via Cleveland Plain Dealer

“It was a lot of stuff going on where I just couldn’t really focus, until the time where I really wasn’t playing,” Hood said. “And then I was able to lock in and get to myself. “At first I kind of felt bad for myself, but then it was like I don’t want to feel this feeling again, sitting on the bench, or playing 8-10 minutes a game,” he continued. “I want to be a big part of a really good team, so that was my focus this whole summer.” – via Cleveland Plain Dealer

Same old Rodney. Glad he is someone else's problem
Old 09-17-2018, 05:53 PM   #784
Xiao Yao You

https://www.si.com/nba/2018/09/17/ri...formed-himself

Quote:
The former prodigy showed flashes of brilliance as a rookie with Minnesota after sticking in Spain for two seasons, earning All-Rookie honors in 2011–12. But as the Kevin Love era ended, Rubio’s Timberwolves floundered, winning just 16 games in 2014–15 and 29 the year after. Karl-Anthony Towns and Andrew Wiggins didn’t mesh with Rubio, who looked like a professional conductor running a middle school orchestra. Minnesota ranked in the bottom third in turnovers committed each of the three years Rubio played without Love.

Now that's surprising!

Quote:
Rubio wasn’t free from culpability for Minnesota’s plunge in the West. He shot an abysmal 35.6% in an injury-shortened 2014–15 campaign, a continuation of his career struggles from the field. In December 2015, Rubio claimed an especially ignominious record. Of players who had logged over 5,000 career minutes since 1979–80, Rubio held the worst shooting percentage in NBA history, making just 36.5% of attempts in nearly 7,000 career minutes. It was an anchor weighing down his career.

Was even worse in his first playoff!

Quote:
Rubio has found a near-perfect basketball situation after years of floundering in Minnesota. Snyder’s motion mania springs Rubio off a multitude of looks, from pindowns on the wing to HORNS sets with Gobert and either Mitchell or Joe Ingles as dual screeners. As Rob Mahoney noted in SI’s Top 100 list, Snyder has fostered a perfect environment for Rubio, allowing his creativity to flourish while manufacturing quality shot attempts for the former non-shooter. The mind meld between Snyder and Rubio was a key reason behind Utah’s nine-spot jump in points per game from 2016–17 to last season.

Hard to imagine a worse fit than Rubio spotting up in the corner. The perfect situation would have him as a high energy bench player

Quote:
While the West is stacked this season, don’t expect Utah, or Rubio, to fade from contention. Last year wasn’t an aberration for the seven-year veteran, it was a signal of things to come, with a stabilized jump shot now in place alongside a dynamic backcourt mate and upper-echelon coach. A decade after capturing the NBA’s imagination, Rubio is finally the force we wished for back in 2009.

He sucked most of the year but sure let's hype him up. Almost refreshing to have a Rubio article after an off-season of almost daily Exum ones.
Old Yesterday, 04:36 PM   #785
Xiao Yao You

https://www.slcdunk.com/2018/9/18/17...n-nets-apology

Quote:
For months before Sloan’s resignation I had heard through media friends that there were issues between Sloan and Deron Williams. The details are no longer important but there was a pattern of disrespect between the young All-Star point guard and his HOF coach. It didn’t take long before rumors started that it was because of Williams that Sloan decided to call it quits. The Jazz were in a bad place. Miller and O’Connor were calling out not only fans but the two-time MVP, Karl Malone for speaking out and not believing the company line of “Sloan being tired” as a reason for his resignation. It got ugly. Please read Moni’s post for a reminder of how bad things really were with the team. It took the team over two years to even admit that there had been strife between Sloan and Williams. The dishonesty from the Jazz in regards to the whole situation caused a divide between the team and its most loyal fans. The years immediately following Sloan’s resignation and Williams’ trade made it difficult to be a Jazz fan. The years passed, O’Connor retired, Ty Corbin was not re-signed and things began to look up for the team.

The had a couple good teams under Corbin despite no Deron and being forced to build around a black hole and than to tank. He never had a shot. It was dark again until December of 2014 when Gobert emerged. Otherwise they'd be the Kings

Quote:
Under the leadership of Dennis Lindsey, Quin Snyder, and now Steve Starks, there began to be a different feeling around the team. Fans were no longer disregarded, instead they were valued. The front office and the media no longer had to sell false hope about a bad coach or a middling team. The Jazz were different now, they had one of the smartest coaches in the league who excelled not only in player development but also player relationships. The front office and media no longer felt the need to hide things from fans and were slowly regaining their trust.

All the media does is sell false help. Nothing has changed. Cheap owners. Questionable coaching called great. Bad front office moves called wizardry. Same as it ever was

Quote:
As a Jazz fan who had heard some of what had happened between Williams and Sloan it has been hard get over what happened between the two of them. It had been hard to truly forgive Williams. I have moved on as most Jazz fans have but there was always something hanging over my fandom. Things have never been the same since 2011. It was almost as if the 2006-2011 Jazz teams did not exist. Highlights of those teams are rarely shared by the team, nor are they mentioned much by the media. In my heart it was also hard to think of those teams and enjoy them knowing how it all ended.

Most fans haven't gotten over it. Just like Fisher and Kanter and now Hayward.

So number 8 will be going up in the rafters soon U take it?
Old Yesterday, 05:03 PM   #786
Xiao Yao You

https://www.slcdunk.com/2018/9/17/17...-brooklyn-nets

Quote:
”I want you to be very clear on one thing,” Miller told Sloan. He continued, “If anything got to the point where we had to make a choice between a player and you as our head coach, we would side with you a hundred times out of a hundred.”

And it's why the Jazz have never won. Sloan is a great coach because he couldn't be fired no matter what he did?

Quote:
It was quite the dramatic night. Most franchises don’t have such a long period of sustained greatness. We were lucky, but I don’t know of anybody who had greatness end like that either. I’m glad we’ve been getting more info about it. It was hard not knowing what really had happened.

Making the playoffs is greatness?

Quote:
I’m really glad that Deron and Jerry have worked things out a bit. That being said, I think it’s time to stop talking about bringing him back. It would be great to see him sit next to Jerry at a game this year. Put them up on the jumbo tron and we can all cheer…. but no need to talk about letting him play again. That ship has sailed, and I’d much rather see Exum get the minutes. Maaaybe Deron could make a good development coach, but if he had trouble not getting his way before, I’m not sure if he would work out as low coach on the totem pole.

I'm sure Deron is still a lot better than Exum will probably ever be on offense

Quote:
We don’t need any "feel good" slots on this team. We didn’t need one last year and we don’t need one this year. Use the slot on a project player.You don’t scratch and reopen wounds.

Nothing wrong with seasoned vets if they can help. Not sure he fits with the current team

Quote:
already got neto, so no need for williams

Coach doesn't like Neto and other players. Why not open up those spots?

Quote:
I don't feel like we have space for a feel-good spot this year unless Bradley, or Niang absolutely suck or someone is moved.

Wouldn't be surprising if some guys are moved. Several Snyder wouldn't miss and deserve better elsewhere

Quote:
So we think Neto is better?

Better than Ricky and Exum anyway

Quote:
And DWill is actually better than Neto, he always will be.

Neto is a better defender and a better fit. Exum and Rubio otoh.

Quote:
Ehhh… there’s plenty of examples where GM’s do not spend their money wisely.

Yeah just looks at the Jazz roster.

Quote:
DL got rid of Jerebko because we didn't have enough minutes to go around and didn't want to mess with team chemistry

My guess is he may have asked out so he could go win a ring

Quote:
Quote:
With Deron’s version of events, this felt like two strong headed individuals clearly not on the same page right from the beginning of the season. Was this simply two of the NBA’s fiercest competitors caught in friendly fire?

Sure, these stories give a little more clarity. But isn’t this what everyone thought anyways? I know this is basically what I’ve always thought.

me too
Old Yesterday, 05:11 PM   #787
Xiao Yao You

https://www.nba.com/jazz/williams-sl...ere-it-belongs

Quote:
Williams was traded shortly after Sloan’s resignation. The deal, orchestrated by then-general manager Kevin O’Connor, brought Derrick Favors and a number of other assets—including a future draft pick that, through a series of trades, eventually became Ricky Rubio—to Utah.

The 2nd deal on the table without any other teams bidding and all they got to show for it are two guys that don't fit.
Old Yesterday, 05:16 PM   #788
Xiao Yao You

https://thejnotes.com/2018/09/18/uta...rable-picture/

Quote:
If leaked salary cap projections hold true, the Utah Jazz could have a lot of money to spend over the next two offseasons.

But instead they'll probably give it to Favors and Rubio.

Quote:
Having said that, the team’s continuity and potential for internal growth should be a major assets in the year ahead. Also: the lack of movement now gives the Jazz a greater ability to make a real splash next summer and beyond. And the splash zone only looks to be getting bigger.

The off-season would have made a lot more sense but than they threw a 3 year contract at Exum!

Quote:
Per Charania, the league is anticipating a jump of more than $7 million — from $101.9 to $109 million — in the cap from this year to next. In turn, the luxury tax threshold is expected to go from just under $124 to $132 million. The 2020 spike is expected to be even greater, with a cap projection around $118 million.

The problem is so are many teams

Quote:
Jazz GM Dennis Lindsey will likely explore extensions with both players, but until those come to fruition, Gobert and Mitchell are locked-in on team-friendly deals.

So, too, are Joe Ingles, Dante Exum and Grayson Allen. The latter will be on his rookie deal, and while some questioned the money doled out to Ingles and Exum when they signed their deals, those dollar figures become less and less substantial with each bump of the cap.

Exum's deal is team friendly?

Quote:
Now, Lindsey won’t spend just for the sake of doing so. It’s not in his nature to play fast and loose with the Miller family’s money and the Jazz have always been a team that carefully considers the possible long-term impact, positive and negative, of every move they make. Almost to a fault.

and yet Exum got his deal
Old Yesterday, 05:21 PM   #789
Xiao Yao You

https://thejnotes.com/2018/09/18/uta...etire-jazzman/

Quote:
I admittedly was pretty young during the height of the John Stockton and Karl Malone years, so while those guys will always hold a special place in my heart along with the likes of Jeff Hornacek, Bryon Russell and others, my favorite player during my growing-up years in which I actually understood the game of basketball was without a doubt Deron Williams. I imagine the same goes for many of my fellow fans from the same generation.

Haven't gotten the impression that you do know the game though

Quote:
Rudy Gobert and Donovan Mitchell may very well surpass that at one point in the not-so-distant future, but for now, the Jazz have yet to field a single player as exhilarating as Deron Williams since that bygone era.

Gobert because he's a 2 way player
Old Yesterday, 05:22 PM   #790
Xiao Yao You

https://fansided.com/2018/09/17/utah...gital-rivalry/

they play twice a year
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: