Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Today's guys that practice MMA are a bunch of douches and meatheads

Play beach volleyball with Sam Stout in the summer. He's not an a-hole at all. He takes verbal abuse like a sport and just acts like one of the guys and laughs it off. Now if you physically confront him....that might be a different story. lol

Come on Hateraid, there has always been douchebags in TMAs and MMA. It's not a new trend at all. You think all those McDojos focus on discipline? Hell no, they just care about taking people's money. Not all the wrestling guys are douchebag Koscheck-wannabes, either. In my experience, most of the douchebags/meatheads actually came from TMAs. They thought they were badass because they had a black/brown belt. They were the 'nobody can mess with me' type. Though, I did take TKD and nobody from there was a douchebag. Actually, now that I think about, I might even say boxers were even bigger assholes. Granted, MMA didn't get big until I was out of school, so if I were younger then maybe I would have a different perspective.

Decent college freshman

Quote Originally Posted by Dolphin
    Play beach volleyball with Sam Stout in the summer. He's not an a-hole at all. He takes verbal abuse like a sport and just acts like one of the guys and laughs it off. Now if you physically confront him....that might be a different story. lol
    that's cause Sam Stout actually trains and competes. Most of the douches you see around gym are just UFC fans who started following mma after the ultimate fighter and the sport became popular. They are ignorant and are hated by most die hard fans of the sport. the dude below exemplifies them as a group.

It's a douchebag sport where White Bros can succeed.

The difference is that MMA is a blood sport. Big difference.

NBA rookie of the year Da KO King's Avatar

Shockingly enough most of the MMA douches I've met are Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu guys. You'd think BJJ would draw a different type of kat.

Quote Originally Posted by Brujesino
    I dont wear a UFC shirt or cut offs but this is a reason i dont want to join a gym because when i work out it makes feel like a fighter so i practice my hooks,high kicks and jabs pretending iam in a actual fight after iam done i was think thank god nobody sees me work out because i would have looked like a douche.....
    Honestly most people don't look at you weird at all... if you are clearly working in form training or shadow boxing in between sets. If you start making noise and just trying to draw attention to yourself then you get the MMA douche label.

Nuggets/Avs/Broncos. NuggetsFan's Avatar

I don't live in a huge city so it might be why but this whole "MMA" era has done wonders for me personally. Nothing better than a dude who tries to wrestle when they really have no idea what there doing and it's a street fight. 99% of the dudes I've encountered who are into that stuff love to try and pull it usually have no idea what there doing.

Might not be the thread but would love to state that anybody who loves to train for this stuff and likes to use it OUTSIDE of the gym makes guy's like me(smaller who'd rather duke it out fist to fist) life's about 10x easier. Nothing better than someone's who's been practicing for that stuff and tries to use it outside of the gym.

Coming from a dude who's about 140 and 8\10 most likely get's sent to the ground. 2\10 being the guy's who try and play Karate kid

I have to agree with this thread. In the early days of UFC/MMA, there was a very strong martial arts element to it. Now its largely just 2 meatheads beating the snot out of each other.

MMA is the new World's Gym.
    Last edited by JohnnySic; 12-03-2010 at 08:49 AM.

In martial arts, aren't we taught to run away and avoid fights?

True martial artist story would end with: "I was able to defend myself and get away" or "I subdued him until the police came."

Training in any MA makes a number of people cocky and arrogant. Mix in some alcohol and/or that person not wanting to look bad in front of their friends and that equals that person acting like a meathead.

I got my wolf shirt on and I train UFC. Come at me, bro

Dont H8 the Laker H8er glidedrxlr22's Avatar

Some of these loud mouth meatheads who do MMA like to practice it in real life at clubs and bars. They feel MMA gives them free reign to be wannabe badasses. I know there

a LAKER & a DODGER fan Lakerlove420's Avatar

^^^^^^^^what are you talking about brah!
    you remind me of one of those meatheads

Dont H8 the Laker H8er glidedrxlr22's Avatar

^^Got chin-checked by me awhile back. Sorry I bullied you.

a LAKER & a DODGER fan Lakerlove420's Avatar

He kids..he jokes..

Quote Originally Posted by Jackass18

Come on Hateraid, there has always been douchebags in TMAs and MMA. It's not a new trend at all. You think all those McDojos focus on discipline? Hell no, they just care about taking people's money. Not all the wrestling guys are douchebag Koscheck-wannabes, either. In my experience, most of the douchebags/meatheads actually came from TMAs. They thought they were badass because they had a black/brown belt. They were the 'nobody can mess with me' type. Though, I did take TKD and nobody from there was a douchebag. Actually, now that I think about, I might even say boxers were even bigger assholes. Granted, MMA didn't get big until I was out of school, so if I were younger then maybe I would have a different perspective.
    Nice, great Cobra Kai plug.

There was a difference back then and today. Obviously guys like you and me with a TMA background and people we trained with were more level headed outside of the club. Sure, there were the bullies with the black belts but they used there aggression more to intimedate and earn respect through force, and that they did. They were more assholes with agendas, but at least they were scary and accomplished what they sought out for.
    The difference nowadays is that the meatheads that are exposed to it walk in wanting to learn how to fight, not to learn the art. They walk in meatheads and they walk out meatheads. The guys who had strong TMA/Style specific backgrounds tend to be the more level headed people in MMA.
    There is a difference in attitude as well between yesteryears bullies and todays meatheads. Back then the at least they gained a sense of respect through scare tactics. Today people have no respect for them at all.

The club I want to get back into and enrole my son in does MMA, but you need to achieve black belt status and it's closed off to the rest off the students. It's a form of Kenpo that incorperates BJJ, Hawaiian style wrestling, Muay Tai and such. But you have to earn your blackbelt first. I think through that method you learn the discipline first. It actually can make you a better, more responsible fighter when you get to the MMA part.