Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Default Re: Training camp/pre-season!

Gilder was in camp last year so they must like him. Skinny tweener forward that can shoot and play with some energy it looks like.

Surprised to see them go into camp with 15 guys. Any of them non-guaranteed?

The rookie tweeted that he's looking for a home so he must have at least a partial guarantee. Watson or Tinsley could be traded by the end of camp if Foye is in the pg mix I'd think. Teams are always in need of a 3rd pg. Watson is still hurt though which might effect that. I think Watson needs to go if at all possible after his whining last last year.

Darren Wolfson: Gotten some #Twolves-Raja Bell questions. Update: Sounds like Kahn isn't in that mix. Birdman would like to come, but no MN interest still. Twitter

"We get more time for attention to detail, we can be more elaborate, we can work the 2nd or 3rd parts of an offensive set," said Corbin. "We wouldn't be in a rush, we can build consistency."

Last year, it was all done in a dash. A play or a system would be introduced to the team. However, there was no time to dig into the core of the play. Once there was a basic understanding it was time to move onto to the next item or all the items on the agenda wouldn't addressed.

"We get to put time into things, teammates can get a better understanding of each other," explained Corbin.

Go back to the beginning of last season. The Jazz didn't understand where each other were on the defensive end of the floor and it showed in blowout losses early to the Denver Nuggets and the L.A. Lakers. Impressively, Corbin was able to get his team to improve with limited practice time during the shortened season and the Jazz finished as a tighter defensive team.

"Early in the season, guys were guessing and thinking. You can't play that way," Corbin recalled.

Corbin's work has already started. Unlike last off-season when he was prohibited from talking to, seeing or communicating in any way with players, this summer he has been building up the frequent flier miles.
    Good to hear. Hopefully the return of the flex offense instead of the Al isolation.

The summer of Enes (Kanter)
    he Utah Jazz have a logjam with their big men, they have the hardworking scrapper, the point-scoring center, the fan favorite with potential, the dunk champ and the unknown enigma from Turkey.

Corbin went to New Jersey to lunch with new Jazzman Randy Foye. He visited Al Jefferson at his camp in Mississippi and saw him workout. He stopped by and checked up on Mo Williams while in Mississippi and visited with Gordon Hayward and Derrick Favors in Las Vegas while they played with the elite team. He then flew to Orlando to see Enes Kanter, Alec Burks and Kevin Murphy.

Those trips, along with regular visits with Jazz players at the P3 training center in Santa Barbara, and Corbin's message has been sent. There is no doubt what is expected from each player, they know what a Corbin-coached team will be and they enter training camp with a clear vision of what is anticipated.

"It has given us more time in building better relationships, we still have to coach, but we have more time for more understanding," said Corbin.

Eighteen month into his head coaching career, Corbin will finally be able to do what he knows leads to wins: dig into the details.

The buyout that was expected to come in July still hasn't arrived for Raja Bell. Because of that, the veteran guard recognizes that even a possible move into free agency might not mean the opportunity to suit up for his hometown Miami Heat. The defensive-minded swingman with 3-point range said Friday that he remains hopeful of receiving his release from the Utah Jazz in advance of next week's start of training camp and that few teams hold the allure of the Heat. "They would be on the top of my list, for sure," he said on 640 Sports' Andy Slater Show. "Again, hometown crowd, my kids are in elementary school here. It'd be great for me to get a chance to play here in Miami where I grew up and I know a lot of people, and be a part of this history that they're going to make for the city. But that's not always just up to me." South Florida Sun-Sentinel
    I'm guessing if it was up to him the buyout would have already happened

Looks like camp fodder unless Favors and Kanter force them trade Jefferson. A big guy that doesn't rebound or block shots.

From trib interview with Hayward:

[B]

Add more muscle weight again: Same
    type of thing. I think I added about five more pounds. Last year, I think I came
    in at 220, but ended up playing at 210, 211. So hopefully I can kind of keep it
    more this year as a opposed to last year.

At 225 right now: Yeah. I think I was
    at 223. Hopefully it'll be right around the 220-mark.
    Hopefully he can put a full year together. He's finished strong the past two years and shot the ball well for stretches.

[quote]Determined after two seasons whether he prefers
    to play shooting guard or small forward:
    You know, I think it'll take
    [care of itself]. It's one of things especially

Gery Woelfel: Brian Butch has signed with the Utah Jazz. Twitter

Brian T. Smith: Butch's contract defined by person close to him as "make-good deal" for veteran training camp. Twitter

Looks like he's tall and skinny and can shoot and rebound a bit. Again if Kanter and Favors play dictates a trade of Al before camp is over he might have a chance.

Marc J. Spears: Free agent F Josh Howard visiting Sixers today & tomorrow, source tells Y! Sports. He visited Spurs last week & getting interest from Minny. Twitter

[QUOTE]Utah

Jody Genessy: Former U. of U. standout Johnnie Bryant has been added to the Utah Jazz staff as a player development assistant. Twitter
    I guess he works with Millsap so this looks like a good hire. Maybe they figure Millsap will be more likely to stay around too?