Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Charlotte Hornets Forum

Charlotte Hornets Forum Charlotte Hornets message board forum

Old 10-13-2007, 07:13 PM   #1
Bobcat4Ever
Six Pack Cat

Default Heat @ Bobcats Gamethread

Sorry for the lateness but I have been with the G Parents all day at Lenoir Rhyne College and I just got back.

Game Info

7:00 PM EST Time
Saturday, October 13th, 2007
Game 3 of the 2007-2008 Preseason
Greensboro Coliseum, Greensboro, NC

Charlotte Bobcats Key Players (2007 Preseason Stats)
Gerald Wallace - PPG 19 | SPG 3 | BPG 2
Jason Richardson PPG 14.5 | RPG 5 | APG 1.5
Emeka Okafor - PPG 8 | RPG 6 | BPG 2
Raymond Felton - PPG 7 | APG 6.5 | SPG 1

Miami Heat Key Players (2007 Preseason Stats)
Devin Green - PPG 8.3 | APG 1 | 3P# .500 (3/6)
Marcus Slaughter PPG 9.3 | RPG 5.3 | BPG 1
Antoinue Walker PPG 7.5 | RPG 2.5 | SPG 1.5
Udonis Haslem - PPG 14.5 | RPG 8 | SPG 2

Listen Live

Go Bobcats!!

Last edited by Bobcat4Ever : 10-13-2007 at 08:57 PM.
Bobcat4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 07:46 PM   #2
Bobcat4Ever
Six Pack Cat

Default Re: Heat @ Bobcats Gamethread

Richardson not at game tonight, expecting baby.
Old 10-13-2007, 08:50 PM   #3
Bobcat4Ever
Six Pack Cat

Halftime

Heat 36
Cats 52

Last edited by Bobcat4Ever : 10-13-2007 at 08:55 PM.
Old 10-14-2007, 09:02 AM   #4
TarHeelBorn
Local High School Star

Spanking but no d-wade or jrich makes this game forgettable
TarHeelBorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 09:32 AM   #5
~spectre~
You've been 'Smacked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelBorn
Spanking but no d-wade or jrich makes this game forgettable

Sorry...gotta disagree on that one THB. Playing with a new coach and game plan, every one of these preseason games are about progression...and just like Crash said in the recap that's exactly what's going on here.

I've made comments on anothr forum...I'm just going to paste the same here...

For those of us vastly disappointed in Ammo's lack of effort this year we all should hit "reset". The boy is night and day from last year; he's chasing his man as hard as he can go, going for steals (I about lost it when he got the second one so quickly after the first). He was first back on a Heat fastbreak, squared up against the guy and went up with him...made him miss. He's not suddenly gained foot speed, but the boy worked his ass off TRYING.

You guys remember how Alan Anderson would always be the first off the bench to welcome the guys in on a timeout? Guess who was doing that last night?

That's right...Ammo. You can tell his attitude is TOTALLY changed. It's not just him though; everyone talks, everyone high fives each other constantly. Everyone just looks very comfortable with one another.

Hammer...I had no idea he's so skinny! And his ability to just come out swishing shots is amazing. We might have paid an above average salary, but I'd take Hammer over guys like Krapono ANY day. Heart...all right there in that #13 jersey.

Fabio popped two shots to beat the buzzer. You can tell he's a little off in his timing, but you can also see just how smart he is in getting to the right spots. Constantly running; the offense moves well when he's in there, mainly I think because he just won't stay in one spot.

Crash was awesome...how about that 12 of 15 from the line? He didn't get it FG wise because the Heat wasn't giving up layups, but I'm very pleased with that FT shooting. He's also passing WELL! He did a give and go with Felts that was as sweet as anything.

Mek played Shaq well. He wasn't fronting him like Coach V has been preaching but D'ed up behind...kept his chest in his back and didn't give in to all that mass. Playing this way (Twiggy on Haslem) worked pretty well, but if Shaq had played more than token minutes I think we'd have been in trouble.

I thought Felton played great! None of those TOs were "bad"...the Antoine Walker steal? Felts was trapped at the top of the circle by 3 Heat guys; he tried to bust thru that with a dribble to get the line of sight to one of our guys wide open underneath the basket. Best play of the night? Felts driving on the left, pulled Mek's guy to him for the block...Felts does a wide reacharound with the ball and puts it right in Mek's gut for the slam. Gamecast or stats won't show that however; they called the foul on the help defender when they went up against Felton. He legitimately missed one layup (contested)...just threw it up a little short. The other he missed he got flat hammered but no call (I was surrounded by Heat fans, and even they were saying "wow, no foul on THAT???). He did another give and go with Mek for another jam...but the zebras called an offensive on our big guy. Of course I couldn't tell if the guy was in the ring or not...but it sure looked like a crap call to me.

Twiggy. He did play well against Haslem, but there's still a lot of rawness still there. He doesn't have the best hands either...he fumbles a lot of passes. A lot we don't see in the stats because it's underneath and a lot of times one of ours will pick off the lose ball...but I see that as a problem. Primoz ain't gonna save the day either as his hands are just as bad.

Davidson...I really like that kid. He did get a little lost sometimes, but he worked. Very seldom lost his man, seems he had good vision on D, watching his man while also keeping an eye on the ball movement. He has a real good offensive game with a nice stroke. He might not be a huge contributer now (or he might due to our thin frontcourt) but I think he will be in the near future.

Felton and Crash ARE the leaders, and from what I saw last night they're definitely the guys for the job...constantly talking to the younger guys and setting them straight. And I love the connection both those two have developed. They would get together while the Heat were shooting FTs...whisper a little bit, then Crash would head back to around half court. On the end bounds Felts would drive up the ball and you could tell his sights were set on Crash. I LOVE that rapport going on there!

This team is together. Everyone seems to be on the same page and I saw no attitudes...in fact quite the opposite. It's going to take some time to completely gel (and no JRich...dammit, but I guess I can forgive having a baby as an excuse to miss a preseason game!) but I've never seen this team get along so well before.
~spectre~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 12:08 PM   #6
Timmeh
Yes, I am a dick.

I also read that Shaq got injured in this one. It shows that the Heat are screwed without Wade and Shaq.
Timmeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 12:55 PM   #7
TarHeelBorn
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~spectre~
Davidson...I really like that kid.
I dont really wanna read that much, still recovering from yesterday's game day celebrations (loss or not). But I agree with this a lot. By the All-Star game, Davidson will be better than Hollins, imo.
TarHeelBorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 01:40 PM   #8
Bobcat4Ever
Six Pack Cat

Photos from yesterdays win

Old 10-14-2007, 03:36 PM   #9
ILuvThisGame
My Swag is Phenomenal

is it just me or is shaq starting to look like Ewing when he should have retired.....

http://cache.viewimages.com/xc/14877...5397277B4DC33E
ILuvThisGame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 09:26 PM   #10
onewickedlady
Not your average OWL

Okay I know I'm a day late here and I don't have anything other than a superficial understanding of strategies and such but I really want to share my impressions of Saturday's game against Miami. You can skim through this or pass on it if it's redundant or boring.

First, I would agree that the guys have never gotten along so well but additionally it's deeper than that. The players exhibited absolute trust in each other's ability to make good decisions and handle the ball. There was no hesitation. Veteran players had no problem passing the ball to the newer guys and speaking of passing the ball, I haven't seen the spread on the floor as good as it was and our guys passed the ball to each other and set up good shots, just like the more mature players on the more experienced teams; there was little of the frantic play that often sinks our stomachs. Hustle, definitely, but not the frantic "oh g-d what do I do now" sort of thing. These guys played like this was a regular-season game that they were determined to win. Need I say more?

Regarding Ammo: This will be the year that he will begin to make good on the promise, we will see the player that he was originally drafted to be. He was focused on shooting accuracy and even his fade-aways hit the target. Adam now acts as if he has a clue of what's going on and he hustled his behind to contribute to the game in a variety of ways. It's obvious that he's really working on his defense. He was not the stressed-out man-child of last season but he seems more mature. Hopefully he has some stress-reducing mantra or something to keep him going on an even keel.

McInnis is definitely happy that he was re-signed. It seemed that he and Felton played about equal minutes at PG (but I may be way off because I haven't checked that out) and McInnis really led the players on the field. It was funny to me that at one point McInnis had to call out to Ammo four or five times because Ammo was in his own little world with the ball at that moment. McInnis had pretty good decision-making and contributed baskets, too. Felton has definitely matured and took shots sparingly. I'm comfortable with Felton/McInnis/DA.

Hollins is definitely not the lost-puppy any more. I was impressed with the improvement (I know, you all will say that anything is better than what he had) in his focus and confidence, his shooting accuracy and willingness to get in Miami's face. On the downside, he too easily lets the ball be stolen from him (and Davidson has the same weakness). I don't think that we know what to expect from Primoz. He was in street clothes and listened in during time-outs but he seemed pale, preoccupied and expressionless. Man where is the fire that we saw in his eyes during his first and second seasons??????????? Neither Hollins or Brezec are really starters, IMO, and that's why Mek has to be allowed to play at both 4 and 5 because we will need his physical presence against other big men. But that just repeats what many of you have believed for a long time.

I really don't have anything to add to spectre's report on the topics of Fabio, Crash, Carroll and Davidson. I do think that with the exception of some vintage Okafor near the baskets, Emeka seemed uninspired. But then he may be saving his body--the opposite of what G-Dub is doing.

What will happen to Jameel Nelson after the pre-season. The man contributed throughout the entire game. Is there/should there be a spot for him on the roster? (I think maybe so). Maybe instead of May? Jameel is a big man--he sort of reminds me of a young Magic Johnson.

Okay, that's it. Yes we have worries over some perceived weaknesses--I'm no Pollyanna-- but the individual players improvements and the overall changes in the way that the team plays together speaks at least something as far as Vincent's influence and I think that this will be one hell of an exciting season, definitely the best to date.
onewickedlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 10:12 PM   #11
~spectre~
You've been 'Smacked!

Excellent onewickedlady (could I call you "wicked" or something shorter?)...that makes me feel pretty good about what I took from the game as well; other than details it seems we saw the same things. A poster on another board shared similar thoughts, so that makes 3 of us that saw a real team coming together. There was another who didn't, but he also confessed to being drunk...so I'm thinking he doesn't really count.

And we didn't even see JRich!

This year is going to be GREAT!!!!
~spectre~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 10:16 PM   #12
Bobcat4Ever
Six Pack Cat

Nice analysis lady, you went to game, correct?
Old 10-14-2007, 11:49 PM   #13
onewickedlady
Not your average OWL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~spectre~
Excellent onewickedlady (could I call you "wicked" or something shorter!!!

owl
Old 10-14-2007, 11:49 PM   #14
onewickedlady
Not your average OWL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobcat4Ever
Nice analysis lady, you went to game, correct?

Yes.
Old 10-15-2007, 12:39 AM   #15
onewickedlady
Not your average OWL

Is it Jameer Watkins? How did I get Nelson? 8 rebounds in 16 minutes? Yes he's a rookie but he plays forward and center according to the Cats roster. And he would be number 15 on the roster if the Cats can get an exception and replace May for this season.

Last edited by onewickedlady : 10-15-2007 at 12:47 AM.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: