Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
       

Default Re: Scalebrine DESTROYS Boston's best street ballers

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204
    Yeah I feel what you're saying. I'd recommend you take a look at the third matchup just for the sake of seeing how that particular player fared. The little fellow had some opportunities but did not capitalize and one of them actually was a reverse layup attempt. There were also times where he seemed to make really solid moves but just couldn't deal with the size and length of Scalabrine.

Brian seemed to be protecting the paint first and foremost. Then when players recognized this and attempted step-backs, Scalabrine was often adept and sized well enough to still get out and strongly contest or block the shot. He seemed willing to allow opponents to take NBA threes. He'd still contest them, he just preferred to be in a position that left him about a step and a half from the hoop at all times which, again, created a situation where he'd be able to meet just about anyone at the hoop unless he literally had his ankles snapped off. And in those meetings at the rim, even on reverse attempts, it's going to be tough for a 6'2'' guy (or less) to finish with a 6'9'' 250 pound fellow on your hip or back.
    i'll take a look after posting this.

and i know you're right. whether 100% right or 99% right, that's the part i'm trying to figure out. :P

re: bolded,
    it's tough, but then, that's what always has to be a specialty of little guys. based on what i saw, pocket rockets would be able to reliably create at least separation-enough for a reverse, including enough room to take the shot without having to worry about getting blocked.

but i don't know... maybe scallops is even faster than i realised, and it's not clear on the video because that's the way these things often work when it comes to sports. :/

Local High School Star

I saw the video on my celtic app. Am i missing something or did scal just beat 3 guys who play like the guys no one wants to pick up at the YMCA?

Was there actually d1 d2 players there?

Finally watched the video. That was retired Scal playing at about 50%. His competition wasn't anything special, but they also played losers outs. I think the shot clock actually helps the inferior and/or smaller player... because without it, Scal could just take his time backing down for layups every possession.

NBA rookie of the year Da KO King's Avatar

It was designed to have Scalabrine win.

There was a 10 second shot clock and if you miss your shot possession changes, that way Scal doesn't get tired.

There were no fouls being called that way Scal could be as physical as he wanted and bother any shot you took cause all he needed was a miss. It also benefited his offense because he could just play "bully ball" and get a basket.

Then you have to look at his opponents. Matt Tomaszewski played two unimpressive years at the JuCo level then went to Syracuse as an "uninvited" walk-on. 6'8" with no athleticism, no handle, no physicality, and only hits jumpers with his feet set.

Next was 19yo HS prospect Jake Faye. Faye is comitted to go to Fordham next year. People have called Faye over-rated saying they he is NOT one of the top 80 players in the New England area as ESPN has him ranked.

Then was a 6'2" former Division 2 player and a 6'5" nobody. Oh, and by the way, none of these guys are from the city of Boston. All are from surrounding suburbs.

I'm not impressed. If he plays the actual best that Boston has then I'll care.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Da KO King

There was a 10 second shot clock and if you miss your shot possession changes, that way Scal doesn't get tired.

There were no fouls being called that way Scal could be as physical as he wanted and bother any shot you took cause all he needed was a miss. It also benefited his offense because he could just play "bully ball" and get a basket.

Then you have to look at his opponents. Matt Tomaszewski played two unimpressive years at the JuCo level then went to Syracuse as an "uninvited" walk-on. 6'8" with no athleticism, no handle, no physicality, and only hits jumpers with his feet set.

Next was 19yo HS prospect Jake Faye. Faye is comitted to go to Fordham next year. People have called Faye over-rated saying they he is NOT one of the top 80 players in the New England area as ESPN has him ranked.

Then was a 6'2" former Division 2 player and a 6'5" nobody. Oh, and by the way, none of these guys are from the city of Boston. All are from surrounding suburbs.

Big talk idiot

Local High School Star

agree with post... rules definitely favored scal

also, im not from boston, but no way can those be their best ballers LMAO
    Last edited by icewill36; 01-23-2013 at 09:42 AM.

Very good NBA starter

The game proves nba bench players will win over average playground player. Scalabrine had to check pierce n kg in practices...

Length and strength can negate quickness because balance is hust as inportant going to the basket.

He also can shoot 3 better than most bench players. And he was goin at 60%.

Learning to shoot layups Chad44's Avatar

Not impressed.

It was good PR for Scal. I am sure they may have been able to find better ballers but it is what it is. Scalabrine deserves props for doing this.

People get the wrong idea about benchwarmers in the NBA (or any other sports).

They don't know hard it is to make a team alone.

these guys who challenged Scal and who got their ass handed to them are delusional.

Banned

Scalabrine was a superstar first option at USC, he was all pac-10 first team and scored 17 ppg on 53% and shot 40% from 3.

Only the very best players make the NBA, Dan Dickau was a star in college, and Dee Brown, Mateen Cleaves and Chris Douglas Roberts who were elite college players can't even make it in the NBA as 15th men.

It doesn't matter who the best streetballers in Boston are because they wouldn't be able to take on even old man out of shape Scalabrine who had a long NBA career and was a star in NCAA D1 former all-pac 10 team.

Even if there is some young phenom in boston projected to be in the NBA, Scalabrine would beat him because of years of NBA experience, and also for the fact that despite being considered unathletic in the NBA he would basically be Lebron James if he went into NCAA to play ball right now for Duke or something.

Even current old man Dan Dickau if he keeps himself in decent shape could probably go to Rucker Park and start raining buckets and shitting on people, these NBA players are truly at another level.
    Last edited by Nick Young; 01-23-2013 at 11:16 AM.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Young
    Scalabrine was a superstar first option at USC, he was all pac-10 first team and scored 17 ppg on 53% and shot 40% from 3.

Only the very best players make the NBA, Dan Dickau was a star in college, and Dee Brown, Mateen Cleaves and Chris Douglas Roberts who were elite college players can't even make it in the NBA as 15th men.

It doesn't matter who the best streetballers in Boston are because they wouldn't be able to take on even old man out of shape Scalabrine who had a long NBA career and was a star in NCAA D1 former all-pac 10 team.

Even if there is some young phenom in boston projected to be in the NBA, Scalabrine would beat him because of years of NBA experience, and also for the fact that despite being considered unathletic in the NBA he would basically be Lebron James if he went into NCAA to play ball right now for Duke or something.

Even current old man Dan Dickau if he keeps himself in decent shape could probably go to Rucker Park and start raining buckets and shitting on people, these NBA players are truly at another level.
    I agree with a lot of what you say but not all of it. For instance, I think a Boston phenom projected to be in the NBA really would have a very good chance of defeating Brian Scalabrine in a game of one-on-one. I say this because, as I mentioned before, one-on-one tends to blur the line between great all around players and those with mere one-on-one skills.

Scalabrine has tons of outstanding NBA experience, but in one-on-one, he's not necessarily going to be able to showcase his ability to run the floor, get back on defense, pick up his assignment, slip screen, and hit the open man. We saw a few pickup games where Scalabrine hit cold stretches, missing 7 out of 10 shots in one burst I tracked. If he did that against a 6'6'' high school senior phenom with range projected to go the NBA, I think it could have spelled trouble.

Also, I think you were exaggerating for effect but I don't believe Brian Scalabrine would be like LeBron James if he were to play for Duke right now. Instead, I think he'd be Super Scal. By that I mean, he'd still play like the Brian Scalabrine we all know and love, but he'd be a lot more refined than he was during his first trip through college. Of course, he also wouldn't be quite as young and spry as his early 20's self.
    Last edited by Rake2204; 01-23-2013 at 11:40 AM.

Banned

funny vid, but...so many travels on scal part, it was hilarious. Also the two white guys were complete clowns, not a real challenge. Scal played them all in a row so had less time to recover tho, he s quite in shape for such a big, retired, fat slob.

Good High School Starter AussieG's Avatar

He's not even an active player anymore.. and he had to play them all back to back? Never been a Scalab fan.. but it's just common sense that in any elite league in the world.. like the NBA, or NFL or F1 or NASCAR or FIFA or whatever else.. every single person who ever makes it.. can destroy ordinary citizens or non pros.

For the NBA players that don't make it.. it's not that they can't play.. it's just that their niche doesn't fit with what teams want or need in the league. If you are an short PG.. you need to be quick. If you are tall, you either need to be well rounded or have a niche like rebounding or blocking or have good basketball IQ. All of them need discipline and need to be able to cope with the NBA life.. which is hard in of itself.

All of the ones that don't make it.. they are still ridiculously good basketball players.