Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 06-14-2018, 06:57 PM   #106
Hawker
Repeal FATCA

Default Re: Trump and Kim Summit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Facepalm
Yes, when they leave office. Trump is making money off the Presidency right now.

They make money when the leave office after making deals while in office.
Hawker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 07:00 PM   #107
Hawker
Repeal FATCA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jailblazers7
Dude, the fear isn't crony capitalism in North Korea...its crony capitalism in America. Trump leveraging a nuclear negotiation to create a profitable business deal would violate all ethical standards and probably the Constitution as well. It's wild to me that you would be OK with Trump doing that.

Based on your posting history and exchanges, you're very anti-business and anti-capitalism so I think you just have a generally warped view. And you're not looking at the bigger picture here as taking on a Trump tower is a transformation towards a freer country. You can bitch about it all you want but that's the reality.

You've also expressed concerns in the past about China gaining too much power and the USA not stepping in. You do realize that would involve crony capitalism to counteract Chinese power yes? China is using its "private" companies to offer infrastructure and O&G services to these nations. USA can't really do the same since they don't own any companies.

So choose one. And the japanese and korean leaders both expressed support for Trump's summit who have a lot more at stake than a bunch of angry anti-Trump ISH posters so they're likely more of an authority than you. You've made references in the past that these leaders are "also only doing this to appease Trump." I don't see how that can be the case in this respect.
Old 06-14-2018, 07:01 PM   #108
Hawker
Repeal FATCA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsMillerTime
It's pretty amazing how ethic laws aren't even an afterthought any more. Trump uses his presidential power to advance his businesses and the Feds are just like

Yeah, this isn't a new revelation that only occurred during Trump presidency. But continue to act morally superior.
Old 06-14-2018, 09:11 PM   #109
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawker
Based on your posting history and exchanges, you're very anti-business and anti-capitalism so I think you just have a generally warped view. And you're not looking at the bigger picture here as taking on a Trump tower is a transformation towards a freer country. You can bitch about it all you want but that's the reality.

You've also expressed concerns in the past about China gaining too much power and the USA not stepping in. You do realize that would involve crony capitalism to counteract Chinese power yes? China is using its "private" companies to offer infrastructure and O&G services to these nations. USA can't really do the same since they don't own any companies.

So choose one. And the japanese and korean leaders both expressed support for Trump's summit who have a lot more at stake than a bunch of angry anti-Trump ISH posters so they're likely more of an authority than you. You've made references in the past that these leaders are "also only doing this to appease Trump." I don't see how that can be the case in this respect.

I see the big picture just fine. Opening up North Korea to capitalism is a fine goal but Trump cutting a business deal exclusively for his own business would not be capitalism. That would be an agreement between two authoritarian leaders to mutually enrich themselves. Introducing capitalism into that country would involve getting North Korea to open their markets to US enterprises so that they can compete freely, which is not what you are describing. You are describing a situation where Donald Trump receives a personal exemption to open his own hotel...with zero competition from other companies. I fail to see how that is anything resembling capitalism. Also, this is a negotiation about North Korea's nuclear arsenal and the US's military presence in Asia. "Introducing capitalism" would have nothing to do with that other than Trump seizing a business opportunity to enrich himself.

If our only avenue to compete with China is to become more like China, then we've already lost my friend. Ideally, we would counter China's tactics by uniting with our allies who are committed to the principles of democracy and the free market but Trump seems to have no interest in that route given his behavior at the G7 conference. The goal is to preserve a system of business and government favored by democratic nations that demands a fair playing field in the market. If we turn into a quasi-Chinese government by using state power to influence business outcomes in favor of our president then we've concede the loss.

As far as Korean & Japanese leaders expressing support, what other options do they have? They are totally dependent on US military power to counteract aggression from China/NK so at this point they can only hold on tight and hope for the best. Trump already agreed to halt joint military exercises with South Korea and described them as a financial burden so the last thing that the Koreans and Japanese want to do is piss off Trump. If you don't see how this could be the case then you need to open up your imagination a little bit.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 12:42 AM   #110
Hawker
Repeal FATCA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jailblazers7
I see the big picture just fine. Opening up North Korea to capitalism is a fine goal but Trump cutting a business deal exclusively for his own business would not be capitalism. That would be an agreement between two authoritarian leaders to mutually enrich themselves. Introducing capitalism into that country would involve getting North Korea to open their markets to US enterprises so that they can compete freely, which is not what you are describing. You are describing a situation where Donald Trump receives a personal exemption to open his own hotel...with zero competition from other companies. I fail to see how that is anything resembling capitalism. Also, this is a negotiation about North Korea's nuclear arsenal and the US's military presence in Asia. "Introducing capitalism" would have nothing to do with that other than Trump seizing a business opportunity to enrich himself.

If our only avenue to compete with China is to become more like China, then we've already lost my friend. Ideally, we would counter China's tactics by uniting with our allies who are committed to the principles of democracy and the free market but Trump seems to have no interest in that route given his behavior at the G7 conference. The goal is to preserve a system of business and government favored by democratic nations that demands a fair playing field in the market. If we turn into a quasi-Chinese government by using state power to influence business outcomes in favor of our president then we've concede the loss.

As far as Korean & Japanese leaders expressing support, what other options do they have? They are totally dependent on US military power to counteract aggression from China/NK so at this point they can only hold on tight and hope for the best. Trump already agreed to halt joint military exercises with South Korea and described them as a financial burden so the last thing that the Koreans and Japanese want to do is piss off Trump. If you don't see how this could be the case then you need to open up your imagination a little bit.

There would be additional commercialization in all industries after the hotel. Stop just focusing on Trump.

Yes, we've already lost on that part because it's difficult to compete with really and this has been going on long before Trump became president. I'm not asking USA to even become like China on some kind of grand scale. I was just mentioning the difficulties.

And Trump ending military exercises is a good thing in my opinion and I think the leaders are pretty genuine in their praise. This stuff has probably been planned behind closed doors with their knowledge so I expect him to be lauded by them.
Old 06-15-2018, 07:35 AM   #111
Nanners
hugh mungus what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufuspaul
They all cash in once they leave office.

or in hillarys case, they cash in before they get into office
Nanners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 09:43 AM   #112
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Quote:
There would be additional commercialization in all industries after the hotel. Stop just focusing on Trump.

Yes, we've already lost on that part because it's difficult to compete with really and this has been going on long before Trump became president. I'm not asking USA to even become like China on some kind of grand scale. I was just mentioning the difficulties.

And Trump ending military exercises is a good thing in my opinion and I think the leaders are pretty genuine in their praise. This stuff has probably been planned behind closed doors with their knowledge so I expect him to be lauded by them.

I think that's a pretty ambitious assumptions to think that Kim will open up NK to non - Trump enterprises. I will stop focusing on Trump as soon as he stops using the office of the president to personally enrich himself. He could just as easily pull off the same maneuver except that Hilton would get a hotel in NK. But he won't because he sees the power of the president as a tool to make himself some money.

As for the military exercises, I have no reason to believe that Trump cleared the end of military exercises with our allies. He's made executive decisions that caught our allies completely off guard numerous times and this seems no different.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 10:44 AM   #113
ItsMillerTime
O LA DI PO

Quote:
Yeah, this isn't a new revelation that only occurred during Trump presidency. But continue to act morally superior.

Can you cite examples of this happening in recent years on the scale that it's happening with Trump? No? Okay then.
ItsMillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 12:28 PM   #114
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsMillerTime
Can you cite examples of this happening in recent years on the scale that it's happening with Trump? No? Okay then.

Can you name the number of non-politician businessmen that have become president of the United States? No? Okay then.
rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 03:57 PM   #115
Lamar Doom
Fresh Kid Turned Rotten

Lamar Doom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 03:59 PM   #116
HenryGarfunkle
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamar Doom
deflect to an unfunny meme because you're uncomfortable with Trump accomplishing things you never thought possible due to your hatred for something you don't even understand

Trump is 6'2 245, he's getting picked bro
HenryGarfunkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 04:27 PM   #117
Facepalm
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryGarfunkle
deflect to an unfunny meme because you're uncomfortable with Trump accomplishing things you never thought possible due to your hatred for something you don't even understand

Looks closer to 300 to me

Facepalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 04:56 PM   #118
Nanners
hugh mungus what?

there is no way in hell that he is 6'2" 245
Nanners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 05:50 PM   #119
Lamar Doom
Fresh Kid Turned Rotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryGarfunkle

Holy shit, please tell me youíre joking. Itís a silly meme about a chunky oaf and a four eyed short Asian guy being picked last in gym class. Relax, dog.
Lamar Doom is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: