Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 07-04-2012, 01:58 AM   #16
jlauber
3-time NBA All-Star

Default Re: Updated Wilt Records

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpliii
do you need the data?

if you give me the date I'll see what I can do

I'm sure you can, but I don't think it is necessary. I already know that Wilt was capable of 30-35 ppg in the '67 thru '69 seasons. Rick Barry, who led the league in scoring in '67 at 35.6 ppg, "thanked" Chamberlain for "letting" him win the scoring title.
jlauber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 02:05 AM   #17
Deuce Bigalow
Kobe Apostle

Deuce Bigalow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 02:05 AM   #18
PHILA
Decent college freshman

Quote:
would get moved off the block

As a skinny rookie in '59, Chamberlain could clean & jerk 265 lbs & military press 210 lbs. By the mid 60's those numbers increased to 435 lbs & 400 lbs. According to esteemed author Gary M. Pomerantz in Wilt, 1962: The Night of 100 Points And the Dawn of a New Era, Chamberlain could deadlift 625 lbs.

Sports Illustrated - October 26, 1959

Consider the following: he has run the quarter mile in 49 seconds flat, bettered 6 feet 7 in the high jump, put the shot 51 feet, can lift 265 pounds in the clean-and-jerk and 210 in the military press. For none of these feats did Chamberlain prepare himself through normal training; they were casual, offhand achievements by an athlete who has always devoted his free time and effort to basketball.

November 29, 1965

NEW YORK (NEA)—The cop guarding the door to the Philadelphia dressing room in Madison Square Garden spryly ducked aside when Wilt Chamberlain charged in at halftime.

"Whew! Don't ever want to get in that man's way," said the special policeman, who stood a foot shorter and weighed 80 pounds less than Chamberlain. 'He may look tall and skinny, but let me tell you he's one big, strong man."

Chamberlain reminds me of the story of the guy who mated a wild bull with a tiger," the cop went on. "The guy didn't know' what to call it, but when it growled, he listened.

"It's much the same in the National Basketball Association. When the goateed 76ers' superstar so much as moves a muscle, somebody else twitches. "Wilt can make it as easy or as tough on you as he wants," said Ray Scott, the Detroit Pistons' burly 6-10 center-forward. Sure, he expects guys playing against him to play as hard as he does, and he respects you for it.

"But any guy who wants to play, 'who's boss?' with Wilt had better forget it," Scott laughed.

"He's so strong, so tough and so basketball-wise that he can bruise you up under the boards and make it look easy."

Chamberlain, it must be noted,has never fouled out of an NBA game.

Scott recalled a time he outmaneuvered Chamberlain beneath the bucket to snatch a rebound. Or so he thought.

"I was holding that ball just as tightly as I could, and Wilt reached over me and grabbed it away with one hand—just like that!" Scott said.

Did Scott learn anything from that experience?

"Yeah, I learned not to be surprised if it happens again."

The New York Knicks' 6-11 center, Walt Bellamy, no weakling himself, says Chamberlain's physical strength is his greatest asset in basketball, not his height, which is 7-1, nor his reach, which is way up there.

"There are a few players who can jump with Wilt," Bellamy said. "There's no one, though, who can outmuscle him for the ball, or consistently out-position him under the boards, or impede his dunk shot and his driving for the basket."

Bellamy claims that on "pure physical strength," Chamberlainis in a class by himself in the NBA. "The gap between Wilt and the next strongest player is a big one."

Jimmy Brown, the great and powerful Cleveland Browns fullback, one of Chamberlain's close friends, calls Wilt "the strongest athlete in the world, bar none."

Massive Wayne Embry of the Cincinnati Royals has said of Wilt: "He has muscles he doesn't even know about."

And so on.

Granted Chamberlain is strong, but, just how strong is he? Is it true he can clean and jerk 435 pounds; does he workout regularly with weights; does he agree with Brown that he's the strongest athlete in the world; has he ever met a man whose strength compares with his?

"Compare, compare," Chamberlain snapped back at the questions. "Man, why does somebody always want to compare me with something or someone?"

Wilt has said those questions come under what he calls the"goon bit" and made it quite clear once again he's tired of answering them.

"You see me on the court. You know I can play ball. Everybody knows what I can do," he said. "As far as my strength goes, let's just say I'm strong and let it go at that."

Fine, Wilt, Anything you say, fella.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyz-FhP2ONk#t=3m49s

Nov 28, 1956

'It seems Wilt has an unorthodox method of shooting free throws. The big guy takes aim at the basket from several feet behind the line. Then he takes about three giant steps, leaves his feet before reaching the line, and stuffs the ball through the hoop.

Under the old rule, it was perfectly legal as Wilt never touched the floor before letting go of the ball. In addition his percentage was fantastic.

"Why, he would have had a free throw percentage of 100," said [Tex] Winter. "He never missed."

Incidentally the rules committee did not mention Chamberlain by name as a reason for the change. The rule change was made, according to the committee, "to prevent freak activity."'

The Miami News - Nov 7, 1962

'He can clean and jerk a 375-lb. weight, run the quarter mile in 47s, and high-jump over 6-11.'

Sports Illustrated - March 2, 1964

'The St. Louis Hawks' 6-foot-9, 240-pound Zelmo Beaty, for example, found out recently that he can no longer take Chamberlain's great strength for granted. Unable to slow Wilt down with conventional maltreatment, Beaty tried to yank his shorts off. Chamberlain, who can press 400 pounds without breathing hard, makes it a point to control his temper, primarily because he is genuinely afraid he might kill somebody. Beaty's unethical yank, however, was too much. Wilt flicked an arm, and Beaty flew across the floor like a man shot out of a cannon. Referee Mendy Rudolph rushed over to him and said: "For God's sake, stay down, man. Don't even twitch a muscle." Beaty didn't twitch, and he is still active in the NBA.'

http://articles.philly.com/2012-01-10/s ... preciation

January 10, 2012

I will be 55 in a few months, the age he was when I interviewed him. This gives me a whole new appreciation for that interview. It is natural at this age to reflect on one's decisions in life, to contemplate making the most of the good years that remain.

Wilt seemed in far better shape then than I am now, absolutely no gut, sculpted in his tight T-shirt. The world never fully appreciated what an athlete he was. During the filming of Conan the Destroyer, with Arnold Schwarzenegger, Wilt said he put five 50-pound weights on his rib cage, elevated his feet on an incline board, and did 30 sit-ups.

"Arnold couldn't believe it," Wilt said. "He wouldn't even try it."

When I met him that day in 1991, the Sixers had just retired his number, and he told me that was "the most moving day of my life." So many fans thanking him. "I should have been the one saying 'Thank you,' " he said.

Wilt died in 1999.

He would have loved the video homage to him the Sixers showed Monday night and will again many times this season to reconnect the team with its legacy.

The man was undeniably Philadelphia's greatest homegrown athlete. He was large, and he was larger than life. And thanks, Wilt, for sharing one day with me.

PHILA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 02:08 AM   #19
jlauber
3-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHILA

As a skinny rookie in '59, Chamberlain could clean & jerk 265 lbs & military press 210 lbs. By the mid 60's those numbers increased to 435 lbs & 400 lbs. According to esteemed author Gary M. Pomerantz in Wilt, 1962: The Night of 100 Points And the Dawn of a New Era, Chamberlain could deadlift 625 lbs.

Sports Illustrated - October 26, 1959

Consider the following: he has run the quarter mile in 49 seconds flat, bettered 6 feet 7 in the high jump, put the shot 51 feet, can lift 265 pounds in the clean-and-jerk and 210 in the military press. For none of these feats did Chamberlain prepare himself through normal training; they were casual, offhand achievements by an athlete who has always devoted his free time and effort to basketball.

November 29, 1965

NEW YORK (NEA)—The cop guarding the door to the Philadelphia dressing room in Madison Square Garden spryly ducked aside when Wilt Chamberlain charged in at halftime.

"Whew! Don't ever want to get in that man's way," said the special policeman, who stood a foot shorter and weighed 80 pounds less than Chamberlain. 'He may look tall and skinny, but let me tell you he's one big, strong man."

Chamberlain reminds me of the story of the guy who mated a wild bull with a tiger," the cop went on. "The guy didn't know' what to call it, but when it growled, he listened.

"It's much the same in the National Basketball Association. When the goateed 76ers' superstar so much as moves a muscle, somebody else twitches. "Wilt can make it as easy or as tough on you as he wants," said Ray Scott, the Detroit Pistons' burly 6-10 center-forward. Sure, he expects guys playing against him to play as hard as he does, and he respects you for it.

"But any guy who wants to play, 'who's boss?' with Wilt had better forget it," Scott laughed.

"He's so strong, so tough and so basketball-wise that he can bruise you up under the boards and make it look easy."

Chamberlain, it must be noted,has never fouled out of an NBA game.

Scott recalled a time he outmaneuvered Chamberlain beneath the bucket to snatch a rebound. Or so he thought.

"I was holding that ball just as tightly as I could, and Wilt reached over me and grabbed it away with one hand—just like that!" Scott said.

Did Scott learn anything from that experience?

"Yeah, I learned not to be surprised if it happens again."

The New York Knicks' 6-11 center, Walt Bellamy, no weakling himself, says Chamberlain's physical strength is his greatest asset in basketball, not his height, which is 7-1, nor his reach, which is way up there.

"There are a few players who can jump with Wilt," Bellamy said. "There's no one, though, who can outmuscle him for the ball, or consistently out-position him under the boards, or impede his dunk shot and his driving for the basket."

Bellamy claims that on "pure physical strength," Chamberlainis in a class by himself in the NBA. "The gap between Wilt and the next strongest player is a big one."

Jimmy Brown, the great and powerful Cleveland Browns fullback, one of Chamberlain's close friends, calls Wilt "the strongest athlete in the world, bar none."

Massive Wayne Embry of the Cincinnati Royals has said of Wilt: "He has muscles he doesn't even know about."

And so on.

Granted Chamberlain is strong, but, just how strong is he? Is it true he can clean and jerk 435 pounds; does he workout regularly with weights; does he agree with Brown that he's the strongest athlete in the world; has he ever met a man whose strength compares with his?

"Compare, compare," Chamberlain snapped back at the questions. "Man, why does somebody always want to compare me with something or someone?"

Wilt has said those questions come under what he calls the"goon bit" and made it quite clear once again he's tired of answering them.

"You see me on the court. You know I can play ball. Everybody knows what I can do," he said. "As far as my strength goes, let's just say I'm strong and let it go at that."

Fine, Wilt, Anything you say, fella.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyz-FhP2ONk#t=3m49s

Nov 28, 1956

'It seems Wilt has an unorthodox method of shooting free throws. The big guy takes aim at the basket from several feet behind the line. Then he takes about three giant steps, leaves his feet before reaching the line, and stuffs the ball through the hoop.

Under the old rule, it was perfectly legal as Wilt never touched the floor before letting go of the ball. In addition his percentage was fantastic.

"Why, he would have had a free throw percentage of 100," said [Tex] Winter. "He never missed."

Incidentally the rules committee did not mention Chamberlain by name as a reason for the change. The rule change was made, according to the committee, "to prevent freak activity."'

The Miami News - Nov 7, 1962

'He can clean and jerk a 375-lb. weight, run the quarter mile in 47s, and high-jump over 6-11.'

Sports Illustrated - March 2, 1964

'The St. Louis Hawks' 6-foot-9, 240-pound Zelmo Beaty, for example, found out recently that he can no longer take Chamberlain's great strength for granted. Unable to slow Wilt down with conventional maltreatment, Beaty tried to yank his shorts off. Chamberlain, who can press 400 pounds without breathing hard, makes it a point to control his temper, primarily because he is genuinely afraid he might kill somebody. Beaty's unethical yank, however, was too much. Wilt flicked an arm, and Beaty flew across the floor like a man shot out of a cannon. Referee Mendy Rudolph rushed over to him and said: "For God's sake, stay down, man. Don't even twitch a muscle." Beaty didn't twitch, and he is still active in the NBA.'

http://articles.philly.com/2012-01-10/s ... preciation

January 10, 2012

I will be 55 in a few months, the age he was when I interviewed him. This gives me a whole new appreciation for that interview. It is natural at this age to reflect on one's decisions in life, to contemplate making the most of the good years that remain.

Wilt seemed in far better shape then than I am now, absolutely no gut, sculpted in his tight T-shirt. The world never fully appreciated what an athlete he was. During the filming of Conan the Destroyer, with Arnold Schwarzenegger, Wilt said he put five 50-pound weights on his rib cage, elevated his feet on an incline board, and did 30 sit-ups.

"Arnold couldn't believe it," Wilt said. "He wouldn't even try it."

When I met him that day in 1991, the Sixers had just retired his number, and he told me that was "the most moving day of my life." So many fans thanking him. "I should have been the one saying 'Thank you,' " he said.

Wilt died in 1999.

He would have loved the video homage to him the Sixers showed Monday night and will again many times this season to reconnect the team with its legacy.

The man was undeniably Philadelphia's greatest homegrown athlete. He was large, and he was larger than life. And thanks, Wilt, for sharing one day with me.

But, he was turnover prone.
Old 07-04-2012, 09:57 AM   #20
jlauber
3-time NBA All-Star

Once again, for all those that claim that the pace of Wilt's era was significantly higher, how come it was ONLY Chamberlain putting up those huge numbers?

Take Wilt out of that era, and Rick Barry's 35.6 ppg is the highest full-time scoring season in those 14 years. Not only that, but the next best marks were Kareem's 34.8 ppg in 71-72, Baylor's 34.8 in 60-61, and Archibald's 34.0 in 72-73 and Baylor's 34.0 ppg in 62-63. After that, it is Kareem's 31.7 ppg in 70-71 and Bellamy's 31.6 ppg in 61-62.

So, NO, there were not an inordinate amount of 30+ ppg seasons in the Wilt-era, and even Barry's 35.6 ppg is behind MJ's 37.1 ppg in 86-87 (in a league that averaged 109.9 ppg.) Hell, Kobe averaged 35.4 ppg in a league that averaged 97.0 ppg.

Then, think about this: Aside from Wilt, there were FIVE 60+ point games DURING the Wilt-era (Chamberlain had 32 BTW.) Baylor had four, and West had one...that's it. How come? Where were all the other players putting up 60+ point games IN the Wilt era?

Furthermore, while there were definitely more rebounds to be had in the Chamberlain era, if you take Russell and Wilt out of that period, there were a TOTAL of FOUR 20+ rpg seasons (Thurmond with a 21.1 rpg season, Pettit with a 20.2 rpg season, and Lucas with 21.0 and 20.2 rpg seasons.) How come?

And even the "pace" theories are overblown. In Wilt's highest paced season, 61-62, the NBA averaged 118.8 ppg. AND, by the end of the decade, in 68-69, it was down to 112.3 ppg (BTW, Chamberlain had games of 60 and 66 in that 68-69 season.) Once again, in the 80's, team's were routinely around 110 ppg.

Oh, and how about FG%'s in the Wilt era? Take Chamberlain, and his .595, .649, .683, and .727 seasons out of the equation, and the next best mark was Johnny Green's .587.

Keep in mind that KAREEM played FOUR years IN the Chamberlain-era, too. If Wilt's stats are so exaggerated, how come Kareem didn't come along and just blow them all away?

Hell, Kareem's HIGHEST scoring game was "only" 55 points. Chamberlain had those two 60+ point games just the year before Kareem came into the NBA. Not only that, but Kareem faced many of the same centers that Wilt did, as well. Where was Kareem's 100 point game against Imhoff? Where was Kareem's 66 point game against Fox? Where was Kareem's 60 point game against Dierking? Where was Kareem's 52 and 58 point games against Reed? And where were Kareem's FOUR 60+ point games (including a high of 73) against Bellamy?

And, as I have mentioned many times now, Kareem faced Thurmond in 43 H2H games. He had a total of seven games of 30+ against Nate, with a high game of 34 (BTW, he also had seven games under 20 against him.) Not only that, but Kareem seldom shot 50% against Thurmond, and an educated estimate has his career FG% against Thurmond of around 43%. In his three H2H playoff series against Nate, he shot .486, .428, and .405.

Now, a PRIME "scoring" Chamberlain, in eleven straight games from their last H2H in the 64-65 season, thru nine games in the 65-66 season, and even their first matchup in the 66-67 season, AVERAGED 30 ppg. Included in those 11 games were games of 30, 33, 34, 34, 38, and 45 (and Wilt was outscoring Nate by margins of 33-17, 33-10, 38-15 and even 45-13.) Not only that, but Wilt also faced Thurmond in three playoff series, and outshot Nate by margins of .500 to .392; .550 to .398; and in the '67 Finals, by a staggering .560 to .343 margin (all while easily outrebounding him in every series.)

Once again...why ONLY Wilt?
Old 07-04-2012, 10:03 AM   #21
brantonli
In Morey We Trust!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28renyoy
Because noone gave a flying fvck about basketball back then? The same reason almost every quarterback blew balls back in the 50's-70's. The position wasn't developed/utilized properly.

Wilt in today's league is probably a nice 18-20 ppg 10~ rpg 3 block kind of player on mediocre efficiency.

He took a lot of poor shots and would get moved off the block, speaking in terms of early Wilt. He was too skinny to average the 15-25 rpg he did during his prime. Hell a 6'5 small forward was averaging 20 rpg back then

28renyoy vs jlauber who will win?
brantonli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 10:12 AM   #22
jlauber
3-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28renyoy
Because noone gave a flying fvck about basketball back then? The same reason almost every quarterback blew balls back in the 50's-70's. The position wasn't developed/utilized properly.

Wilt in today's league is probably a nice 18-20 ppg 10~ rpg 3 block kind of player on mediocre efficiency.

He took a lot of poor shots and would get moved off the block, speaking in terms of early Wilt. He was too skinny to average the 15-25 rpg he did during his prime. Hell a 6'5 small forward was averaging 20 rpg back then

PHILA already blew all of this nonsense away, but by the mid-60's, Wilt weighed as much as 320 lbs. And, in his '65 season, he was at 290 lbs (and Hank Stram timed him at 4.6 in the 40 BTW.)

Regarding his strength, all anyone has to do is just GOOGLE Wilt's bench. The internet is PLASTERED with accounts of 500+. Furthermore, where are the legitimate accounts that would DISPUTE them?

As for his overall rebounding, in Wilt's LAST season, in a league with players like Thurmond, Kareem, Bellamy, Reed, Unseld, Lanier, Hayes, Silas, Boerwinkle, et.al, Chamberlain LED the league (and by TWO per game.) THEN, in his 17 post-season games (against Boerwinkle, Thurmond, and Reed), Chamberlain averaged 22.5 rpg, in a post-season in which the average team grabbed 50.6 rpg...which translates to about 19 rpg in THIS year's post-season. Oh, and after that season, the next highest mark was Kareem's 17.3 rpg in the 76-77 post-season.

Incidently, take Russell and Wilt out of the Chamberlain-era, and there were a TOTAL of FOUR 20+ seasons (Thurmond with a 21.3 rpg season, Pettit with a 20.2 rpg season, and Lucas with seasons of 21.1 rpg, and 20.4 rpg.) Where were all the other players grabbing 20 rpg?
Old 07-04-2012, 10:27 AM   #23
jlauber
3-time NBA All-Star

Some more records that some here may not be aware of...

Chamberlain has the THREE highest "perfect games from the field" in NBA history, with games of 15-15, 16-16, and 18-18 (BTW, he also had an 18-19 game.)

Wilt also made 35 straight FGAs.

If "estimated" blocks are even remotely close, Chamberlain had the most Triple Doubles in NBA history, and certainly the most Quad-Doubles.

And why the NBA lists Elmore Smith's 17 block game in '74 as the record is beyond me. True, blocked shots were not "officially" kept until that season, BUT, in a NATIONALL TELEVISED game in 1968, Chamberlain had a RECORDED 23 blocks. There are also now MANY "estimated" 20+ block games by Chamberlain (but not verifiable.)

Wilt also had a KNOWN Triple Double game of 53 points, on 24-29 shooting, with 32 rebounds, and 14 assists. Not only that, but he had "estimated" blocks and steals of 24 and 11 respectively.

Chamberlain also had a Triple Double game in the post-season of 16 points, 30 rebounds, and 19 assists (and a questionable "estimated" 20 blocked shots.)

Chamberlain also has the ONLY 20-20-20 game in NBA history (22 points, 25 rebounds, and 21 assists.)

Wilt has FOUR of the SIX 60+ games on .700 shooting (Karl Malone and David Thompson each have one.) And his .829 mark (29-35) is the all-time record. BTW, that 66 point game was his LAST 60+ point game.

More to come...
Old 07-04-2012, 10:38 AM   #24
Alan Ogg
BASKETBALL Fan

I've been finally able to create an account after browsing ISH all season long. In that short time, it hasn't been hard to notice jlauber's love for Wilt.

Here's my two cents. Why only Wilt? Maybe because Wilt actually was the greatest player from that era. That explains why only Wilt.

However, that doesn't mean that Wilt put up numbers close to that in today's NBA. Any notion that he'd be averaging 40 points a game today is ridiculous.

Even though it's difficult to compare eras, according to an analysis I did a while ago that adjusted for minutes played and share of league averages (as well as some other minor adjustments), if these old schoolers played in Shaq's era (also adding in Kareem for you), this is how they'd compare per 36 minutes:

Wilt 22 points, 12 rebounds, 3 assists a game on 55% shooting
Shaq 24.5 points, 11 rebounds, 2.5 assists a game on 58% shooting
Kareem 22 points, 9.75 rebounds, 3 assists a game on 54% shooting

As you can see, they are all pretty similar which isn't too surprising considering these are 3 of the top 10 of all time.

Take that with all the credibility of my first post

I also have some comparisons on Jordan vs. Kobe, Oscar vs. Magic that I can post at some other time.
Alan Ogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 10:49 AM   #25
Punpun
Head Connoisseur

And the battle of the Cut and paste began.
Punpun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 11:34 AM   #26
Asukal
College star

If he is sooooo dominating and above everybody else, why couldn't he just straight out dominate every team and win every championship? Why? Because against true competition, Wilt isn't really far and away better than every other all time great center (he may be the best but that is debatable). Because if we just look at stats, it would mean Wilt was unstoppable but that is not the case since he only won twice.
Asukal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 12:07 PM   #27
Pointguard
5-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asukal
If he is sooooo dominating and above everybody else, why couldn't he just straight out dominate every team and win every championship? Why? Because against true competition, Wilt isn't really far and away better than every other all time great center (he may be the best but that is debatable). Because if we just look at stats, it would mean Wilt was unstoppable but that is not the case since he only won twice.
Jordan couldn't win by himself, neither did Shaq and they were the most dominant of this era.
Pointguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 12:08 PM   #28
LikeABosh
Trump Towers

Wilt is an all time great, top 10 in my list. But he would not come close to putting up those numbers in todays NBA
LikeABosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 12:17 PM   #29
DatAsh
National High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlauber

Regarding his strength, all anyone has to do is just GOOGLE Wilt's bench. The internet is PLASTERED with accounts of 500+. Furthermore, where are the legitimate accounts that would DISPUTE them?

Sorry, but Wilt never benched 500+. Anyone who knows anything about power-lifting or bodybuilding knows that tale is complete hogwash. I might be able to believe a 350 pound bench, but even that's probably a bit of a stretch considering his frame. A 300+ pound bench is probably more realistic. Even with a 300 pound bench your looking at possibly the most naturally strong guy in nba history. Long armed folk are generally terrible on the bench
DatAsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 12:30 PM   #30
Pointguard
5-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Ogg
I've been finally able to create an account after browsing ISH all season long. In that short time, it hasn't been hard to notice jlauber's love for Wilt.

Here's my two cents. Why only Wilt? Maybe because Wilt actually was the greatest player from that era. That explains why only Wilt.

However, that doesn't mean that Wilt put up numbers close to that in today's NBA. Any notion that he'd be averaging 40 points a game today is ridiculous.

Even though it's difficult to compare eras, according to an analysis I did a while ago that adjusted for minutes played and share of league averages (as well as some other minor adjustments), if these old schoolers played in Shaq's era (also adding in Kareem for you), this is how they'd compare per 36 minutes:

Wilt 22 points, 12 rebounds, 3 assists a game on 55% shooting
Shaq 24.5 points, 11 rebounds, 2.5 assists a game on 58% shooting
Kareem 22 points, 9.75 rebounds, 3 assists a game on 54% shooting

As you can see, they are all pretty similar which isn't too surprising considering these are 3 of the top 10 of all time.

Take that with all the credibility of my first post

I also have some comparisons on Jordan vs. Kobe, Oscar vs. Magic that I can post at some other time.
How are you factoring rebounds? Wilt was a go getter of rebounds and would still be stronger than anybody else today quite easily. He just had a knack for rebounding and he frequently dominated the only other guy that could rebound like him. At 36 years old he averaged 15.5 rebounds per 36 min. Shaq was never a great rebounder and had way too many years where 6'5 and 6'7 guys outrebounded him by 3,4 or 5 more rebounds per game. Just no way Shaq and Wilt would be that close in rebounds.
Pointguard is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: