Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 08-02-2012, 11:32 PM   #16
flipogb
Banned

Default Re: Put JaVale McGee in the 50-60's and he's top 10 player all-time imo..

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunksby
Put Javale's brains in a monkey's head and you get OP.
you have it wrong, Javele has a monkey brain in a human body
flipogb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 11:34 PM   #17
SpecialQue
NBA Superstar

Default Re: Put JaVale McGee in the 50-60's and he's top 10 player all-time imo..

Your opinion is garbage.
SpecialQue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 11:34 PM   #18
Raz

Quote:
Originally Posted by waseem780
Yeah so? The dude is an athletic freak. His athletic ability will cover up his mental mistakes. What is the point of developing a Post-game (which he already has) when he can just use his athletic ability to score.

There..

Thanks - it's legible. He is an athletic freak, but his IQ problems translate over the same in the 50's and 60's NBA. Wilt Chamberlain was more athletic, smarter, stronger, and has a wide repertoire of moves. He would eat McGee up.
Old 08-02-2012, 11:36 PM   #19
NuggetsFan
Nuggets/Avs/Broncos.

Put McGee in the 50's and he probably doesn't get anywhere near a basketball due to being deemed mentally retarded

But seriously people should just compare players relative to their era's and what they did. Wilt shouldn't be compared to MJ because he averaged 50 points a game or scored 100 but because he dominated his competition to a similar level. Obviously McGee would be a freak back than. He's ridiculously athletic. It's just a fact that game has become more athletic. Maybe the sport basketball has regressed due to the constant ISOing, flashy dribbling etc. but the game's far more advanced now and you can't deny it. It's what happens when time passes. It's not music or movies where's it subjective but the human body. Anybody who thinks a guy like James White would not go ham in the 50's is fooling themselves.

Guess there's no way of really knowing. Who knows would have happened if some of those players were born in '91 instead. With today's weight training, AAU basketball, diets, film etc.

Either way don't think players should ever be directly compared like this.
NuggetsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 11:36 PM   #20
waseem780
#1 Joel Embiid Stan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz
You know why this thread is stupid? You could pick the 5 most talented ball players from ISH, and they would probably dominate the 50's. I know in my prime (22) I could go in and wreck havoc defensively on those guys, and play a similar game to Rondo, but at 6'4" and without the insane athleticism. I would be worried about some of these guys in the 50's catching my wrap around passes, or anything through the legs.

The physicality back then was insane - that would probably be the equalizer, and Cousy seemed to be the only pg that would pount the air out of the ball, so I probably wouldn't be overly accepted.

The skills I have worked on didn't really exist back then. Same with any modern baller (not talking about your average scrubs).

Overall, stupid idea for a thread. It's been done many times before, and Russell and Wilt would still destroy McGee.

ok my point is that this generation is much more athletic than the past and an average but athletic player could easily dominate in the 50'60s
waseem780 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 11:37 PM   #21
bmd
Local High School Star

Quote:
im american mate...
Americans don't say "mate".

bmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 11:40 PM   #22
Raz

Quote:
ok my point is that this generation is much more athletic than the past and an average but athletic player could easily dominate in the 50'60s

Fine. State that then, but that's common knowledge.

If you gave a guy like Elgin Baylor the nutrition, salary, training methods of today's athletes, as well as game tape and the level of competition that a guy from the 90's might have grown up with, and you have a superstar today.

Sports evolve from looking and learning from past generations. Training methods improve, people become aware of their health.

It's like putting some modern day hunter with modern weapons back 20,000 years and saying he would be the GOAT hunter. No shit he would be.
Old 08-02-2012, 11:43 PM   #23
NuggetsFan
Nuggets/Avs/Broncos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz
Fine. State that then, but that's common knowledge.

If you gave a guy like Elgin Baylor the nutrition, salary, training methods of today's athletes, as well as game tape and the level of competition that a guy from the 90's might have grown up with, and you have a superstar today.

Sports evolve from looking and learning from past generations. Training methods improve, people become aware of their health.

It's like putting some modern day hunter with modern weapons back 20,000 years and saying he would be the GOAT hunter. No shit he would be.

Good post. Certain things simply evolve and you can't deny it and that's why certain things should be compared relative to era, like sports.
NuggetsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 11:44 PM   #24
atljonesbro
College star

This thread is ABOLUTELY correct. I mean Javale would be a GOD in the 50s and 60s. Wilt is a poor mans Hassan Whiteside in todays era and Russel is a poor mans Hilton Armstrong, Javale is 10x the players they ever were. Javale might be the GOAT
atljonesbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 11:45 PM   #25
KG215
NBA Superstar

Quote:

I think you're severely underrating the athleticism of the best players of the 50s and 60s. Not all of them were good athletes by today's standards, but plenty of them (Russell, Wilt, Baylor, West, Robertson) were very good athletes.
KG215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 11:46 PM   #26
outbreak
Banned

Thread is bad and OP should feel bad. Bring Wilt into our day and age, give him our work out programs and what we know about nutrition and what not and he'll still be a beast. Sure we have more legit bigs now but back then they measured with no shoes on. Mikan being on the high end of 6"9 barefoot would probably make him around Dwight's real size barefoot. Stop posting the same rubbish every week
outbreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 11:56 PM   #27
MisterAmazing
Good High School Starter

Ban the OP, please.

/thread
MisterAmazing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 12:02 AM   #28
Freedom Kid7
Lazy Bulls fan

Make all the "new compares better to the centers of old" and all those arguments, but Javale's IQ is about the equivalent of a potato. I mean, you can argue athleticism all day in regards to old centers, but Russell and Wilt both had solid basketball IQ and intangibles Javale doesn't
Freedom Kid7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 12:33 AM   #29
waseem780
#1 Joel Embiid Stan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterAmazing
Ban the OP, please.

/thread

for what? stating my opinion that most of the ppl agree with? even the people that im arguing with like raz just think the post is stupid. not untrue. have you ever watched a 50"S nba game "some" are very unathletic when they lay up it looks like the women in WNBA nowadays.. and i never said javale is beter than wilt or russel i just said he would dominate because Javale + high motor(fixes most his prob) would be in wilt and russel's category all-time
Old 08-03-2012, 12:36 AM   #30
waseem780
#1 Joel Embiid Stan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz
I just spewed in my mouth a little. Lucky I kept it closed, otherwise I may have spewed a bunch of vomit on ISH like you just did.

Inserting random current athletes into the past is becoming very ridiculous. Let's insert prime Tiger Woods back into golf in the 1940's. Guy would flat out dominate right? How about Usain Bolt being in the 1936 Olympics? He would blow those weak-asses off the track.

It's a very stupid premise, but by the sounds of your usage of the word 'mate', my guess is that you're an Australian....

You forgot to factor in McGee's propensity to be lost on defense, over play his man, lack of any post moves, and the basketball IQ of Eddie Griffin on weed.

muhammed ali,joe frazier ..etc wuld whoop todays boxer's (pacquio , mayweather)
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: