Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 06-29-2007, 01:00 PM   #1
gts
shhhhhhh

Default To deal or not to deal

This is for discussion of trades and expiring contracts, the names i use are for reference only, not to talk about talent or why this player is better than another...I'll try and keep the topic open for debate by using the least amount of actuall player names as possible...

OK so when we discuss trading kobe, the general consensus is if he's traded it has to be before his option year because you'd hate to get "nothing for him" correct?
yet when we talk trades we all want that player or offer up a player like kwame because he has an expiring contract...
so my question is why is not keeping kobe and letting him opt out and opening up 20 million on the payroll no better or worse than if he was an expiring contract?

Example...we trade kobe to another team, we all know we won't get anywhere near his value, add to that that it would signal time for a ground up rebuild in LA so along with getting maybe one or two decent young players in the trade, we'd hope for a couple expiring contracts too... after the trade we end up with two guys we may keep and two guys we will keep for a year so we can let the contracts expire and go out and get what we really need...

in the end letting kobe opt out is no different, or is it?

discuss, flame or ignore...
gts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 08:14 PM   #2
hwliuLAP
Local High School Star

Default Re: To deal or not to deal

If you let Kobe opt out without acquiring anything that are young stars or picks
then it's a waste, why?
well first, a team only wants expired contract because they have upcoming stars to re-sign
AKA Detroit let Wallace go to re-sign Billups (kinda)
well Lakers doesn't really have any players that we need to leave cap space to re-sign for, we really don't have any star players where we need 20 mil of cap space for an extension
now if we also don't get any picks in return, then the year right after Kobe opts out, we are left with still a 10-20 pick, with no lottery pick to draft a franchise player
so we are left and stuck with a not so talented team, without any good picks
kinda like the Bobcats right now, only they got lottery picks in years where the draft wasn't as deep

so the only benefit? is the FA market, lets say the same year Kobe opts out Lebron becomes a FA, well since we have all the cap space, we can easily offer Bron a fat contract.
But if it was a bad FA year, we are stuck to signing role players.

that's kinda how I look at it
everything really comes down to either the FA market or how deep the draft is
hwliuLAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 08:44 PM   #3
gts
shhhhhhh

Quote:
well first, a team only wants expired contract because they have upcoming stars to re-sign
AKA Detroit let Wallace go to re-sign Billups (kinda)
well Lakers doesn't really have any players that we need to leave cap space to re-sign for
the cap has no effect on resigning players it's called the bird rule, under this rule the pistons could have resigned wallace and billups to max contracts if they wanted regarless of the cap...
your thinking though...
Old 06-29-2007, 08:53 PM   #4
hwliuLAP
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by gts
the cap has no effect on resigning players it's called the bird rule, under this rule the pistons could have resigned wallace and billups to max contracts if they wanted regarless of the cap...
your thinking though...

or just to avoid the cap I suppose
the thing is, I think it's just too hard to get talents or GOOD contracts through FAs
sometimes you can get an underpaid player through a trade
but usually if you wait till they turn into FAs you have to be willing to pay big bucks
hwliuLAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 10:00 PM   #5
gts
shhhhhhh

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwliuLAP
or just to avoid the cap I suppose
the thing is, I think it's just too hard to get talents or GOOD contracts through FAs
sometimes you can get an underpaid player through a trade
but usually if you wait till they turn into FAs you have to be willing to pay big bucks
that and if they are a free agent and they didn't play for you last year, if your over the cap or near it your not going to sign them
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: