Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 10-19-2012, 02:00 AM   #1
IGOTGAME
NBA All-star

IGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputation
Default 19 year old Pau Gasol vs. 19 year old Anthony Davis

You know nothing about Pau's career and have a choice between drafting both players. Which do you choose.
IGOTGAME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 02:05 AM   #2
KG215
NBA Legend

KG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: 19 year old Pau Gasol vs. 19 year old Anthony Davis

I didn't know anything about Gasol when he was 19. He was what, 21-22 when he got drafted and went #3 or so overall? If we don't know how his career played out, then I'd guess Anthony Davis would be the consensus. That's not my answer simply because I don't have any idea the hype surrounding Gasol and how much potential he was perceived to have at 19 years old.
KG215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 02:09 AM   #3
IGOTGAME
NBA All-star

IGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG215
I didn't know anything about Gasol when he was 19. He was what, 21-22 when he got drafted and went #3 or so overall? If we don't know how his career played out, then I'd guess Anthony Davis would be the consensus. That's not my answer simply because I don't have any idea the hype surrounding Gasol and how much potential he was perceived to have at 19 years old.

tbf, Kwame, Chandler and Curry were all thought to have the potential to change franchises at the time. At least that is how I remember it. David did not have the same competition in terms of prospects. If it wasn't for the Euro bias Pau would have been a clear cut number 1 pick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZZETQoe-0U

Here is the vid of Pau Gasol that sparked this comparison. Guy was just a freak talent. I think his talent is often under appreciated.

Last edited by IGOTGAME : 10-19-2012 at 02:12 AM.
IGOTGAME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 04:47 AM   #4
BoutPractice
I'll pass

BoutPractice is popular on this boardBoutPractice is popular on this boardBoutPractice is popular on this boardBoutPractice is popular on this board

Young Gasol looks like he could become one of the best offensive players of all time, a 7 footer who can play multiple positions and do everything on the court at a high level.
People forget he used to be praised for his outside shooting (he's come back to it recently) and impressive slashing ability... he's also often been described as a point guard in a bigman's body.
Yet on top of all that, he's now mostly known for being one of the few remaining true post players in the contemporary era.
He's a legendary talent.

Young Anthony Davis looks more offensively raw in comparison, though obviously the defensive potential makes it a difficult choice.

Last edited by BoutPractice : 10-19-2012 at 04:49 AM.
BoutPractice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 09:05 AM   #5
Real Men Wear Green
Don't panic.

Real Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Davis because I'd feel surer about a kid that led a team to NCAA glory than a young guy that may not even have been a starter (I'm not sure but I don't think Gasol was a contributor at 19). But even knowing that Gasol has been a perennial All-Star I'd still take Davis because I'm high on his potential. I believe that within the next four years he'll be on par with Howard and as Howard declines after 30 he'll become the best center in the NBA.
Real Men Wear Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 09:19 AM   #6
BlackWhiteGreen
NBA lottery pick

BlackWhiteGreen is popular on this boardBlackWhiteGreen is popular on this boardBlackWhiteGreen is popular on this boardBlackWhiteGreen is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGOTGAME
tbf, Kwame, Chandler and Curry were all thought to have the potential to change franchises at the time. At least that is how I remember it. David did not have the same competition in terms of prospects. If it wasn't for the Euro bias Pau would have been a clear cut number 1 pick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZZETQoe-0U

Here is the vid of Pau Gasol that sparked this comparison. Guy was just a freak talent. I think his talent is often under appreciated.

He looks like Finch off American Pie.
BlackWhiteGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 10:47 AM   #7
rodman91
Bulls

rodman91 has a terrific reputationrodman91 has a terrific reputationrodman91 has a terrific reputationrodman91 has a terrific reputationrodman91 has a terrific reputation

Pau.
rodman91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 11:14 AM   #8
pegasus
€uroInU$A

pegasus is popular on this boardpegasus is popular on this boardpegasus is popular on this boardpegasus is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoutPractice
Young Gasol looks like he could become one of the best offensive players of all time, a 7 footer who can play multiple positions and do everything on the court at a high level.
This. I went to a few Eurobasket games in 2001, and I remember Gasol dribbling down the floor like a flashy guard and then taking and making an in-rhythm three point shot, several times in a row. He was just worming up before the game, but I was amazed by his skill-set as a young 7 footer. It's a shame that his game has fallen off quite a bit since 2010.
pegasus is online now   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: