Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Good High School Starter notatop29pg's Avatar

Default Re: From Bowie, to Oden, to Embiid

Quote Originally Posted by christian1923
    Just another terrible front office decision by Philly
    All part of their master plan.

Now they can tank for a further 5 years and say that if it wasn't for freakish injuries to Embiid they'd be perennial contenders.

Well played Philly.

Quote Originally Posted by IncarceratedBob
    Maybe it's a black thing? Kanter is just as talented as any of those guys at least offensively and is healthy no problem. The Gasol Brothers are way better than those 3 and are also healthy.
    Well it happened to Yao and Walton too. Also Kanter is like 6-9 not quite a 7 footer if that makes a difference.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by chips93
    people have said that his diet was terrible back in cameroon, and that he still wasnt eating well while in college, which might ave contributed to his bones being weak.

its very sad, he has as much talent as any young big man in the league
    I've thought this as well. He doesn't seem like the kind of guy who is serious about his nutrition and doing whatever it takes to be in the best possible condition. He seems like a "grab some hot wings, fries, and a soda" kind of guy rather than a "lean chicken breast with veggies and a protein shake before bed" kind of guy.

I rule the local playground

Quote Originally Posted by midatlantic09
    I've thought this as well. He doesn't seem like the kind of guy who is serious about his nutrition and doing whatever it takes to be in the best possible condition. He seems like a "grab some hot wings, fries, and a soda" kind of guy rather than a "lean chicken breast with veggies and a protein shake before bed" kind of guy.
    if anything he could use some complex carbs and a good lean bulk so he stops breaking like dry pinewood

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by kunk75
    if anything he could use some complex carbs and a good lean bulk so he stops breaking like dry pinewood
    You realize he got up to 280-290, right?

I rule the local playground

^lean bulk, not garbage bulk of dollar menu items. a calorie is not a calorie. i'm 230 at 6.5% body fat, my friend is 230 at 24% body fat, we look a whole lot different.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
    You've got a guy who actually toughed out his injuries and had a solid if unspectacular career of several years.

Then you get Oden, plays a fraction of a season and attempts a come back many years later but can't seem to do more than a few NBA minutes every few games without lots of swelling on the knees. Now he's disappeared again.

Now we've got Embiid. Hasn't even play a single NBA minute. Will we EVER see this guy play?

WTF is going on with talented big man prospects
    Al Pacino said it best to buddy in a bar in the Any Given Sunday movie:

The players now have better looking bodies, more muscles, but they are fragile as glass (or something like that) .

I don't think it's really that bad now that we've drafted Okafor. Him and Noel should fit together very well and if Noel can play then we are golden. Plus we will have like 3-4 first rounders next year + Saric coming from overseas and now we have Stauskus + the rest of the awesome Kings deal. It's not like Noel's injury is totally derailing the future.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by kunk75
    ^lean bulk, not garbage bulk of dollar menu items. a calorie is not a calorie. i'm 230 at 6.5% body fat, my friend is 230 at 24% body fat, we look a whole lot different.
    Why would he go on a bulk? He's already lean at 7'0 260 currently, but was up to 280-290. Embiid isn't a fat guy and probably has a 7% bodyfat.
    Last edited by midatlantic09; 07-14-2015 at 10:59 AM.

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by midatlantic09
    Why would he go on a bulk? He's already lean at 7'0 260 currently, but was up to 280-290. Embiid isn't a fat guy and probably has a 7% bodyfat.
    he's not Eddy Curry... He's following a path similar to Greg Oden.

at least eddie showed in the league he could be a 20PPG scorer with bad defense.

Embiid just has the body and measurables with natural skill.

You're a NYK fan. You are used to terrible front office decisions.

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by GOBB
    You're a NYK fan. You are used to terrible front office decisions.
    Lol does that make you feel better about drafting a guy who everyone knew was damaged goods?

Lol does that make you feel better about drafting a guy who everyone knew was damaged goods?
    Makes me feel better than we took Okafor which NYK wanted. Yanno one pick before your team pick despite NYK losing all those games.

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
    WTF is up with guys like Gilmore, Jabbar, Wilt and Shaq then, seriously.

Are those guys freaks of nature not just in athleticism, but also durability? It really does seem like we keep getting robbed of 7 footer prospects the past 10-15 years.
    Yeah, they're freaks of nature. Wilt included. Shaq was playing at a massive size later in his career. 370, if I'm not mistaken, when he was with the Suns. He broke down at that size COMPLETELY. He always had injuries throughout his career though.

People who are that big are prone to injuries when they play as many minutes and as hard. Some are exceptions (like Shaq, Wilt, etc.).

I'm starting to have a theory that if a guy is a big 7' tall center... stay away. Don't invest anything important into him. They almost all either disappoint or spend their whole careers injured.

Big man = dashed hopes. Never mind the obvious ones... (Bynum, Oden, Yao, etc etc). What about Dwight Howard on the Lakers and the Rockets? What about Bynum on the *Lakers*?? What about Hibbert on the Pacers?

And look at what the Warriors did with their top 5 center sitting on the bench the entire series. I think after 10 years of terrible centers making 7 figures annually to be injured their whole careers, the position of center has come to a quiet end.