Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

Default Re: Winter Olympics: Men's Hockey

for sure...................Hockey and snowboarding is the only cool events ..........rest is just gay

Quote Originally Posted by tomtucker
    for sure...................Hockey and snowboarding is the only cool events ..........rest is just gay

very Hume-erous

but in all seriousness would you rather see a gold in hockey or own the podium?

Quote Originally Posted by hateraid
    very Hume-erous

but in all seriousness would you rather see a gold in hockey or own the podium?
    Gold in hockey is number 1, but only a few teams can win it, and if Canada don

[QUOTE=tomtucker]Gold in hockey is number 1, but only a few teams can win it, and if Canada don

i actually prefer the winter olympics overall.

Track and basketball is better but i can watch more events in the winter olympics. I do also like the rowing and cycling events but I appreciate the speed of the winter olympics more than anything else.

Is there any other Olympic sport that puts more emphasis on winning Gold for their country? Not only is this the only sport that really matters in the winter Olympics(let's be honest, it's the only sport with mass appeal outside hockey countries) but for a couple of countries this could only be a successful Olympics if gold is won in this event. I've heard this about Canada and Russia. The only event I can think of in this magnitude is men's 100m.
    Really, winning hockey is like winning the Winter Olympics
    what? for americans or everyone

this comes of as ignorant as hell

winning the most medals > hockey gold

Gentleman Desperado East_Stone_Ya's Avatar

yes pretty much, i mean how many other sports can you name there?
    Last edited by East_Stone_Ya; 02-14-2014 at 06:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kurple
    what? for americans or everyone

this comes of as ignorant as hell
    Oh really? So what would have more veiwership than hockey?

Better question, what is second to hockey? Someone who isn't ignorant to the subject should know off the bat. What would be the gap between hockey and the second biggest sport to the second and third?
    Face it, hockey is the crown jewel of this event, without it it would be a flop. It is so big Russia outright declared Sochi would be a worthless bust without men's hockey gold regardless of medal count

Oh really? So what would have more veiwership than hockey?

Better question, what is second to hockey? Someone who isn't ignorant to the subject should know off the bat. What would be the gap between hockey and the second biggest sport to the second and third?
    Face it, hockey is the crown jewel of this event, without it it would be a flop. It is so big Russia outright declared Sochi would be a worthless bust without men's hockey gold regardless of medal count
    Hockey is very different from the 100m. That event makes front page news across the globe. Hockey is the most popular event in 4 countries I think, but it doesn't have global appeal.

Sure the countries Hockey is popular in are pretty big, so it's an event with many viewers. But in that vain do you also agree that ping pong is arguably the crown jewel of the summer Olympics?

Quote Originally Posted by LJJ
    Hockey is very different from the 100m. That event makes front page news across the globe. Hockey is the most popular event in 4 countries I think, but it doesn't have global appeal.

Sure the countries Hockey is popular in are pretty big, so it's an event with many viewers. But in that vain do you also agree that ping pong is arguably the crown jewel of the summer Olympics?
    What you quoted was in regards to purple's post.

In regards to what you just stated I would agree the 100m is the marquee event in all Olympics. What my point was no other Olympic sport I've seen puts more pressure to win. I would never hear from us, the Jamaicans, or any other country the Olympics is a bust if we don't win the 100m. I guarantee most countries would rather win hockey than own the podium. Ask any Canadian poster here what they would have. I was in Vancouver for 2010 and that was the #1 goal. Owning the podium was just the topper.

How so? If you think of it what other sport in a fans perspective is gaining as much attention?
    With the summer Olympics sports are more spread out. Winter Olympics there is much more focus on hockey. I've never heard a country actually say this won't be a successful Olympics unless hockey is won
    It only matters to teams who actually have a shot at winning.

You're trying to tell people that countries like Norway and Austria can't have Olympics that matter because they're not really into hockey.. It won't work.

Quote Originally Posted by ZenMaster
    It only matters to teams who actually have a shot at winning.

You're trying to tell people that countries like Norway and Austria can't have Olympics that matter because they're not really into hockey.. It won't work.
    I was quoting a couple of countries who have made that a public statement. Obviously countries that don't have a shot aren't going to dismiss the Olympics. But wouldn't you agree they would rather have that gold than owning the podium?

In regards to my OP, what other sport puts more emphasis on winning on an Olympic international level? I can only come up with 100m.

What you quoted was in regards to purple's post.

In regards to what you just stated I would agree the 100m is the marquee event in all Olympics. What my point was no other Olympic sport I've seen puts more pressure to win. I would never hear from us, the Jamaicans, or any other country the Olympics is a bust if we don't win the 100m. I guarantee most countries would rather win hockey than own the podium. Ask any Canadian poster here what they would have. I was in Vancouver for 2010 and that was the #1 goal. Owning the podium was just the topper.
    Absolutely not. You need to get out more. Most countries give 0 fuks about Hockey.

Quote Originally Posted by LJJ
    Absolutely not. You need to get out more. Most countries give 0 fuks about Hockey.
    I'm not saying hockey is the most popular sport internationally. I'm saying the countries that are participating in hockey would rather have a gold. You're arguing a completely different subject in which I agree with you