Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Detroit Pistons Forum

Detroit Pistons Forum Detroit Pistons message board - pistons fan forum

Old 07-19-2009, 02:22 PM   #16
NeeJ49er
Saw a basketball once

Default Re: Could Ben Wallace return to Pistons?

Wilcox will fit in nicely with the Pistons, he was out of place in D'Antoni's system in NY, but his physical style of play is what Detroit needs, now if the Pistons could bring back Ben Wallace on the cheap the Pistons will have some nice depth
NeeJ49er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 03:03 PM   #17
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic R
Looks like we got him

Pistons sign free agent Chris Wilcox

not a bad signing imo…
definitely better than the alternative of Gooden IMO
boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 03:12 PM   #18
dd24
NBA lottery pick

For 3 million per year this could be a big deal for us. He's obviously better than Amir was at close to the same price. Amir is just having a mediocre summer league again. I think he'll probably start next to Charlie. Starters don't usually come that cheap. Last year he played less than 20 minutes per game. In Seattle when he played 28 per game he was putting up 13 and 7 (the last year he was there). I think he could be a Ben Wallace type player except for he isn't a liability on offense. Now I'm a little more excited about the upcoming season. We actually have a nice young group of players now. I think the biggest reason I like this is that this guy is a F/C. He may not be a true C but he does play it enough. It rounds out our team. So if we have:

Stuckey/Bynum
Rip/Gordon
Prince/Summers
Villanueva/Daye
Wilcox/Brown

That's not too bad. It's not Boston, Orlando, or Cleveland but it's not a bad squad. What we need to worry about is how young this team is. Young teams typically don't go far in the playoffs if they even make it.
dd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 04:12 PM   #19
detsportsfan3
Stern+refs=fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd24
For 3 million per year this could be a big deal for us. He's obviously better than Amir was at close to the same price. Amir is just having a mediocre summer league again. I think he'll probably start next to Charlie. Starters don't usually come that cheap. Last year he played less than 20 minutes per game. In Seattle when he played 28 per game he was putting up 13 and 7 (the last year he was there). I think he could be a Ben Wallace type player except for he isn't a liability on offense. Now I'm a little more excited about the upcoming season. We actually have a nice young group of players now. I think the biggest reason I like this is that this guy is a F/C. He may not be a true C but he does play it enough. It rounds out our team. So if we have:

Stuckey/Bynum
Rip/Gordon
Prince/Summers
Villanueva/Daye
Wilcox/Brown

That's not too bad. It's not Boston, Orlando, or Cleveland but it's not a bad squad. What we need to worry about is how young this team is. Young teams typically don't go far in the playoffs if they even make it.

Not a great team, but a young team, and that will work out long term for us in the long run. Adding the MLE will really help next year, especially with a lot of teams using theirs this year and the teams with salary cap plan on signing the big names next offseason, that should leave some good FAs for us to get. Unfortunately, I don't think this is a playoff team unless the chemistry/coaching is amazing or unless rip is shipped out. I say they finsih 7th-10th in the east with their current roster. And I would much rather have Amir+Afflalo over Wilcox, which is pretty much what this came out to be. Wilcox is a good deal for the money, but I think we still need that defensive guy. Despite what everyone says about Ben being old and washed up, I think he would be a huge addition. Not just for his defensive prescence, but because I think he would be a good leader on a team with only 1 30 year old guy. I say we make the playoffs if we get Ben. Just noticed, where is Maxiell on that depth chart?
detsportsfan3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 04:49 PM   #20
dd24
NBA lottery pick

I didn't consider Maxiell or anybody who could potentially be a 3rd string type player. I'm just not a Maxiell fan since he decided to take a year off when it wasn't a contract year for him. I think he's goingI agree about where the team will finish. Right now 7-10 sounds about right. If we can get another impact player for Rip than that moves us up a few notches. This team is too young and inexperienced to be a 3 or 4 seed. Plus they are just a player short too. This move still makes them more watchable to me. At least it's a team now.

If we ended up with Ben I don't think that would be the reason we get to the playoffs or not. The other guys are the ones who are going to need to step up their games. Ben would be a guy who played limited minutes and would just be used in certain situations. He was only playing slightly over 20 minutes per game in Cleveland. I think he would be about a 15-20 minute per game guy for us.
Old 07-19-2009, 06:18 PM   #21
detsportsfan3
Stern+refs=fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd24
I didn't consider Maxiell or anybody who could potentially be a 3rd string type player. I'm just not a Maxiell fan since he decided to take a year off when it wasn't a contract year for him. I think he's goingI agree about where the team will finish. Right now 7-10 sounds about right. If we can get another impact player for Rip than that moves us up a few notches. This team is too young and inexperienced to be a 3 or 4 seed. Plus they are just a player short too. This move still makes them more watchable to me. At least it's a team now.

If we ended up with Ben I don't think that would be the reason we get to the playoffs or not. The other guys are the ones who are going to need to step up their games. Ben would be a guy who played limited minutes and would just be used in certain situations. He was only playing slightly over 20 minutes per game in Cleveland. I think he would be about a 15-20 minute per game guy for us.

Maxiell and Ben will have the same role, being energy guys. Guys that can come off th bench, play some defense, and get the team/fans back into the game. Maxiell is ahead of Daye on the depth chart, no question about it. Daye is an offensive guy, Maxiell defensive. There were even talks about signing Big Baby, who is like a Maxiell clone, so I gotta feel that Duamrs likes the role/kind of player Maxiell is (especially sinc ehe gave him that nice conract extension) Ben could easily push this team up 1-2 spots in the East. Probably not because he is good, but because it adds another big man to the team, and a defensive one. I don't want Wilcox and Kwame playing 20-25 minutes a game, and adding Ben could help change our rotation.

Last edited by detsportsfan3 : 07-19-2009 at 06:20 PM.
Old 07-19-2009, 09:39 PM   #22
dd24
NBA lottery pick

It really sounds like Ben will be back.

Quote:
The Pistons are likely to add at least one more free agent big man to the roster. Signing Wilcox basically wiped out the remainder of Detroit's salary cap space. For them to add another player, Detroit will have to sign them to the veteran's minimum, which is $1.3 million. Michigan Live

Former Piston Ben Wallace, who recently reached a $10 million buyout with the Phoenix Suns, is among the most likely players Detroit will add to its roster. Other possibilities include Rasha Nesterovic and Drew Gooden. Michigan Live
Old 07-19-2009, 10:55 PM   #23
NeeJ49er
Saw a basketball once

If Ben comes back he will need to focus on trying to contribute on defense and try to make an impact, he has lost the majority of his physical skills he once had, now he will need to depend on playing smart and being a leader in the locker room.

Charlie V, Wilcox, Kwame and Maxiell will get the majority of the minutes at the 4 and 5 spots, so he will need to make the best of what little time he gets
Old 07-20-2009, 12:24 AM   #24
detsportsfan3
Stern+refs=fail

Gooden for the veteran's minimum....? Damn, I'd do that. I don't like the guy that much but he can score and rebound and is only like 27. No chance he is that cheap though
Old 07-20-2009, 01:48 AM   #25
dd24
NBA lottery pick

I was thinking the same thing. He obviously is better than Ben at this point in time but I just don't see him signing for the minimum. Some team will give him more money. Portland is still looking for a back up big guy too and I think he is on their list.
Old 07-20-2009, 04:11 PM   #26
NeeJ49er
Saw a basketball once

Quote:
Originally Posted by detsportsfan3
Gooden for the veteran's minimum....? Damn, I'd do that. I don't like the guy that much but he can score and rebound and is only like 27. No chance he is that cheap though

I dont really like Drew Gooden either, but he would give the Pistons a little more firepower off the bench, but maybe if Jerebko could play some minutes at the 4 spot, he does have the size to play the position every now and then, by the looks of the roster they may be best suited to play a more up tempo style this season
Old 08-10-2009, 10:33 PM   #27
dd24
NBA lottery pick

Well, the rumors say Wallace will be back by the middle of this week.
Old 11-12-2009, 02:35 AM   #28
azn0
Saw a basketball once

Didn't Ben say he would retire after this season?

I am guessing this year is his farewell tour of the NBA.
azn0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 02:46 AM   #29
dd24
NBA lottery pick

He was talking about retirement before the season but it appears that he's still got some game left. I wonder how long he can keep this pace up.... hopefully the entire season.
Old 11-13-2009, 01:17 PM   #30
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

man was I wrong about wilcox. dude looks like a total bum out there.
boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: