Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 08-29-2018, 11:04 AM   #1
Dro
NBA sixth man of the year

Default 9 Year Old Boy Commits Suicide After Being Bullied For Being Gay...

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/08/28...mates-mom.html

Quote:
A Colorado mother says her 9-year-old son took his life last week because of anti-gay bullying from his classmates.

Leia Piece, of Denver, told FOX 31 Denver she found her son, Jamel Myles, dead in her home Thursday Ė months after her son told her he was gay over the summer.

"And he looked so scared when he told me. He was like, 'Mom, Iím gay.' And I thought he was playing, so I looked back because I was driving, and he was all curled up, so scared. And I said, 'I still love you,'" Pierce told the news station on Sunday.

Statistics show the LGBT community faces issues of suicide at a higher rate than the general population. Advocates speak out to let the community know there is hopeVideo
Shocking LGBT suicide rates: Emotional story explains why
Pierce said her son told her he wanted to tell his classmates when he went back to school because he was ďproud of himself.Ē The mother also said her son told her he wanted to dress more femininely after coming out.

FBI SWARMS FAMILY HOME OF JACKSONVILLE LANDING GUNMAN DAVID KATZ

"And he goes, 'Can I be honest with you?'" Pierce said. "And I was like, 'Sure,' and heís like, 'I know you buy me boy stuff because Iím a boy, but Iíd rather dress like a girl.'"

On Thursday, just four days after he started fourth grade at Joe Shoemaker Elementary School, Myles was dead.

The Denver Police Department told The Washington Post that officers responded to a ďmedical incidentĒ at the boy's home. The 9-year-old was transported to a hospital where he was pronounced dead. It was not immediately clear how he died, but the medical examiner ruled his death as a suicide.

Pierce told the Denver Post she believed bullying played a part in her sonís death.

"My child died because of bullying. My baby killed himself," Pierce said.

She said her son told her daughter that his classmates told him to take his own life.

ĎDINE-AND-DASH DATERí FACES 10 FELONY COUNTS FOR ALLEGEDLY SKIPPING OUT ON DATES BEFORE BILL: REPORT

"Four days is all it took at school. I could just imagine what they said to him," Pierce told the station. "My son told my oldest daughter the kids at school told him to kill himself. Iím just sad he didnít come to me. Iím so upset that he thought that was his option."

Denver Public Schools sent a letter home to families stating it was providing extra social workers and crisis counselors at its schools. On Monday, grief counselors met with students and staff at the school.

Pierce said she wanted to raise awareness for bullying following her sonís death.

"We should have accountability for bullying. I think the child should. Because the child knows itís wrong. The child wouldnít want someone to do it to them. I think the parent should be held because obviously the parents are either teaching them to be like that, or theyíre treating them like that," she said.

Shit is sad. I can't stand crap like this. I can't stand people who pick on any group of people constantly whether its a bunch of black dudes messing with the one white guy at the park, gym, or school. Whether its gay people, transgender's, whoever, I can't stand bullying whatsoever. I'm the type of dude who is far more vocal on here than I am off of here in general because I'm an introvert, but I WILL and DO consistently speak up when I see folks getting picked on. I'm the dude at the job who is probably friends with that one weird dude that nobody else talks to. I can get along with anyone.

Also, aren't most of the gun deaths in this country a result of suicides? I swore I read that somewhere, someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Dro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 11:11 AM   #2
tpols
we already won

Default Re: 9 Year Old Boy Commits Suicide After Being Bullied For Being Gay...

pretty sad that a 9 year old would be making an announcement like that...too young. Media has corrupted society though and encourages the behavior.
tpols is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 11:37 AM   #3
Bill Russell
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dro
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/08/28...mates-mom.html

Shit is sad. I can't stand crap like this. I can't stand people who pick on any group of people constantly whether its a bunch of black dudes messing with the one white guy at the park, gym, or school. Whether its gay people, transgender's, whoever, I can't stand bullying whatsoever. I'm the type of dude who is far more vocal on here than I am off of here in general because I'm an introvert, but I WILL and DO consistently speak up when I see folks getting picked on. I'm the dude at the job who is probably friends with that one weird dude that nobody else talks to. I can get along with anyone.

Also, aren't most of the gun deaths in this country a result of suicides? I swore I read that somewhere, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Dude, theyíre kids. Kids are going to bully other kids that are different. Period.

Tpols got it right... 9 years old is way too young to start flaunting that.

My personal feelings about gays aside, I would never bully or belittle them or try to make them feel bad. Everyone deserves love.

This is a failure on the part of the parents for letting him go public in the middle of adolescence without having a long long talk about why itís not a good idea and that he should wait until heís old enough to deal with societal condemnation and recognize that people are closed minded. 9 year old kids ARE ALWAYS GOING TO BE CLOSED MINDED.
Bill Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 11:42 AM   #4
Real Men Wear Green
Please clap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpols
pretty sad that a 9 year old would be making an announcement like that...too young. Media has corrupted society though and encourages the behavior.
PPretty sad that a 9 year-old committed suicide and the part of the story you find tragic is him telling his mother that he's gay.

RIP
Real Men Wear Green is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 11:48 AM   #5
Dro
NBA sixth man of the year

Quote:
I agree with this a little bit. And I don't know everything about homosexuality but I feel like as soon as this little boy started displaying behavior like a little girl(if thats what happened), it should've been nipped in the bud. There's no way my mother or grandmother would even tolerate me liking pink or purple, lol.
Dro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 11:49 AM   #6
Bill Russell
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green
PPretty sad that a 9 year-old committed suicide and the part of the story you find tragic is him telling his mother that he's gay.

RIP

Dude heís not talking about telling his mom.

Heís talking about announcing it to the class, and heís absolutely right.

Itís a failure on the momís part in my opinion.
Old 08-29-2018, 12:02 PM   #7
PistonsFan#21
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Russell
Dude, theyíre kids. Kids are going to bully other kids that are different. Period.

Tpols got it right... 9 years old is way too young to start flaunting that.

My personal feelings about gays aside, I would never bully or belittle them or try to make them feel bad. Everyone deserves love.

This is a failure on the part of the parents for letting him go public in the middle of adolescence without having a long long talk about why itís not a good idea and that he should wait until heís old enough to deal with societal condemnation and recognize that people are closed minded. 9 year old kids ARE ALWAYS GOING TO BE CLOSED MINDED.

In the middle of adolescence The kid is 9 years old...he hasn't started puberty and adolescence yet.
PistonsFan#21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 12:13 PM   #8
Bill Russell
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PistonsFan#21
In the middle of adolescence The kid is 9 years old...he hasn't started puberty and adolescence yet.

Eh... I’m not sure why you’re zeroing in on that instead of contributing anything meaningful other than to be a dick... but you knew what I meant.

The point is he’s not of sound mind to withstand abuse and not internalize it and self destruct.

I would argue that people are still kids until 25 because that’s when their brains are finally fully developed but most people aren’t going to be ok with me calling a 25 year old a kid... we are just splitting hairs.

Quote:
Adolescence begins with the onset of physiologically normal puberty, and ends when an adult identity and behaviour are accepted. This period of development corresponds roughly to the period between the ages of 10 and 19 years, which is consistent with the World Health Organization's definition of adolescence.

One year? SMD.
Old 08-29-2018, 12:47 PM   #9
Real Men Wear Green
Please clap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Russell
Dude heís not talking about telling his mom.

Heís talking about announcing it to the class, and heís absolutely right.

Itís a failure on the momís part in my opinion.
Announcing it to his mother his class or whoever else is not the tragedy here. The tragedy is that a 9 year old boy committed suicide. Some of you are clearly letting your issues with homosexuals triumph over whatever empathy you are incapable of feeling.
Old 08-29-2018, 12:53 PM   #10
tpols
we already won

Quote:
Announcing it to his mother his class or whoever else is not the tragedy here. The tragedy is that a 9 year old boy committed suicide. Some of you are clearly letting your issues with homosexuals triumph over whatever empathy you are incapable of feeling.

And were telling you that this would happen in almost any environment. Kids are mean. You have to have some sense as a parent to coach a kid through that and hell let him reach some level of physical maturity before doing that for his own protection. Take your social justice championing elsewhere.
tpols is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 01:35 PM   #11
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

We knew kids were day back then we just didnít discuss it.

We all know you can spot a gay kid itís just not polite to say it.

Gay kid on Curb Your Enthusiasm was classic.
Kblaze8855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 01:42 PM   #12
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

https://youtu.be/pP2nukRR6c4

Thatís just good tv. Iíd watch a show about his exploits but society wouldnít allow it to be made.
Kblaze8855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 01:46 PM   #13
NumberSix
Big Booty Hoes!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
We knew kids were day back then we just didnít discuss it.

We all know you can spot a gay kid itís just not polite to say it.

Gay kid on Curb Your Enthusiasm was classic.
This. There were a few kids we all knew were gay but nobody addressed it and nobody bullied them or anything. All the straight kids called each other fa**ots, queers, homos, etc. though.
NumberSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 01:52 PM   #14
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

Quote:

They're just trying to make a point, not ignoring the tragedy of the suicide. Deep down we're a caring bunch on here. After all we've supported your homosexuality for years now.
rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 01:58 PM   #15
Real Men Wear Green
Please clap.

Quote:
And were telling you that this would happen in almost any environment. Kids are mean. You have to have some sense as a parent to coach a kid through that and hell let him reach some level of physical maturity before doing that for his own protection. Take your social justice championing elsewhere.

That's what Shogon said that I didn't argue with. But tree focus on your initial reply send to be objecting to him coming out, rather than his death. I may have been mistaken there but you didn't say anything to regret his death.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: