Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 05-20-2008, 10:24 AM   #1
SoCalMike
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Default Article: Los Angeles Times - Taking the first look at Lakers-Spurs series

Source: Taking the first look at Lakers-Spurs series

Quote:

NO. 1 LAKERS vs.

NO. 3 SAN ANTONIO

Season series: 2-2.

Buzz: Don't we know you guys from somewhere?

For the sixth time since 1999, the Lakers and Spurs are meeting in the playoffs and three of them -- Tim Duncan, Kobe Bryant and Derek Fisher -- have been around for all of them.

The Lakers have won three (2001, 2002, 2004) of the series and the Spurs two (1999, 2003).

It's the same old Duncan-Tony Parker-Manu Ginobili nucleus, now in its sixth season but a new Lakers team, facing the Spurs for the first time in the playoffs without Shaquille O'Neal.

The Lakers are now a young team with one rotation player -- Fisher -- over 30.

The Spurs are not, with one rotation player -- Parker -- under 30.

Great as he still is, Duncan isn't the same player he was when this rivalry started, with Ginobili leading them in scoring during the season and Parker in the playoffs.

Parker used to give the Lakers fits, forcing them to collapse their entire defense to keep him out of the lane. Of course, that was with O'Neal, who didn't come out on pick-and-rolls.

Bryant is an old Spurs killer, having averaged 26-32-26 in the last three series against Bruce Bowen, the Spurs' defensive ace.

Then there's Fisher, whose 17-foot half hook with 0.4 seconds left in Game 5 in 2004 will never be forgotten in San Antonio.

The Lakers are favored and will have been off for five days while San Antonio was playing Game 7 in New Orleans. On the other hand, if there's one thing the Spurs have proved this spring, they're not going down without a fight.

-- Mark Heisler

SoCalMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 12:26 PM   #2
jailer
MillionDollarException

Default Re: Article: Los Angeles Times - Taking the first look at Lakers-Spurs series

has had problems with the spurs pick and roll scheme in the past. Lets hope the zen master has helped him figure it out. Go lakers
jailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 01:56 PM   #3
magicmanfan
Local High School Star

Default Re: Article: Los Angeles Times - Taking the first look at Lakers-Spurs series

really the dream matchup in some ways....our path to a ship
should have to go thru the champs!!!!

if we can play good team ball, we have a shot. Lamar and Pau's
inside passing has been superb!!! If we can hit some jumpers
and make them play honest D, we can win this!!!!!

magicmanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 02:19 PM   #4
magicmanfan
Local High School Star

Watching the NO and SAN series, SAN can put out a
defensively focused team:

Duncan, Oberto, Udoka, Bowen, Ginobli.....

and they have Kurt Thomas as well......

WE HAVE TO HIT OPEN LOOKS IN THIS SERIES!!!
magicmanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 02:42 PM   #5
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicmanfan
Watching the NO and SAN series, SAN can put out a
defensively focused team:

Duncan, Oberto, Udoka, Bowen, Ginobli.....

and they have Kurt Thomas as well......

WE HAVE TO HIT OPEN LOOKS IN THIS SERIES!!!

Thank goodness for fisher, he has been able to hit the open shots when we needed them most. Same with Sasha.

The hunger in our players continues to grow every day and they are all playing with intensity that I have not seen on this team ever in my life. It was never this intense when we had shaq and other guys.

Pre-Shaq-Kobe era, we weren't even a playoff team and weren't hungry at all.

This team has proven to me that if you work hard enough, you can accomplish anything you want. The guys that I wanted off this team for veteran help so bad (Bynum, Sasha, Walton, Odom) are all stepping up their game to an extent where haters can't even hate.

The efforts are so admirable and everyone has that swagger now.

Bring it on!
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 03:02 PM   #6
LA.MJ&KB#1
Decent college freshman

^Must agree its good to see the lakers playing good bball in the PO. There are starting to get the walk about themself like they believe they can beat anybody. Well I wouldn't have it no other way but, to go through the Spurs its time for the Spurs to past the throne onto the lakers front door steps.

I'm ready to enjoy the WCF win or lose. Lakers have a bright furture over the next five or six years.
LA.MJ&KB#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 07:22 PM   #7
SCV42
Buck Foston

If the Lakers beat the spurs and inevitably win a championship, can we finally quit hearing that the spurs are the "team of the decade" ? It would give us 4 in the 2000's and spurs only have 3 in the 2000's. Sorry, 1999 doesn't count.
SCV42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 11:48 PM   #8
bleedinpurpleTwo
Another Laker Dynasty?

I'm glad we are playing the champs.
Get ready for some defense.
bleedinpurpleTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 01:04 AM   #9
gts
shhhhhhh

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedinpurpleTwo
I'm glad we are playing the champs.
Get ready for some defense.
yeah me too, win or lose i'm glad it's the spurs we are facing..this isn't just about a ring, this is about the lakers becoming elite again...
gts is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: