Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 05-20-2008, 11:43 AM   #1
SoCalMike
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Default Article: San Antonio Express News - Buck Harvey: The coach of the series: The un-Zen

Interesting comments from Horry... I hope the Lakers paste this up on the Zen Master's locker!
-------------------------------

Source: Buck Harvey: The coach of the series: The un-Zen

Quote:

Popovich began with one defense the first eight minutes. Then Popovich began switching, usually every three to four minutes, forcing New Orleans to react to the Spurs instead of the other way around.

Horry says Phil Jackson never did this. Horry remembers asking for double-teams when he was defending Duncan, and Jackson would shake him off.

Did you win then?

“Hell no,” said Horry.

Maybe other coaches wouldn’t have gambled Monday with Horry, either.

But Popovich always has a place for a smart player.

SoCalMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 12:59 PM   #2
gts
shhhhhhh

Default Re: Article: San Antonio Express News - Buck Harvey: The coach of the series: The un-Zen

good read socal... pops is one of the all time greats...
gts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 01:03 PM   #3
Frank Foley
Made that high school varsity squad

Default Re: Article: San Antonio Express News - Buck Harvey: The coach of the series: The un-

That writer is such a hack. The article's premise (that Popovich is the best coach in the league) isn't what's wrong--at least that's defensible. What's pathetic is how he tries to denigrate the coaching abilities of Pop's peers in order to make that point.

Look at how he portrays Phil, for example. He makes a dude with 9 (NINE!) MF'N rings out to be some kind of stuck-in-his-ways simpleton (thank God that Popovich let Robert Horry finally cut loose and become the dominant 2 ppg, 2 rpg playoff performer he is today!).

If you're gonna criticize Phil for not making the proper defensive adjustments, shouldn't you point the finger at Popovich for not making the proper offensive adjustments? His team did just shoot 40% in a game 7, after all. Then again, I suppose that's really not the MO of someone writing for the pinnacle of journalism known as mysanantonio.com.

Also, wtf is a "Buck Harvey"? Sounds like the hero of a B-level 1960's detective movie. Get yourself a real ****ing name, please.

Everything about this guy's existence annoys me. Buck Harvey is now on my IRL ignore list.
Frank Foley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 03:01 PM   #4
SourGrapes
let's go lake show!

Default Re: Article: San Antonio Express News - Buck Harvey: The coach of the series: The un-Zen

yeah that sounds like a fluff article written entirely to juice up the san antonio fanbase...

i guess it was popovichs amazing defensive adjustments that helped him hold onto that 2-0 lead in 2004.
SourGrapes is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: