Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 01-02-2019, 11:25 AM   #17401
Thorpesaurous
NBA sixth man of the year

Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

I wanted to watch Bird Box over the weekend, and Roma, but when I turned on Netflix I wound up doing the new Black Mirror movie, Bandersnatch.

I was in on Black Mirror really early as far as this country goes, and feel a certain attachment to it, so I figured it's only fair I keep up with it. Plus I liked the idea, an early 80s video game developer making a choose your own adventure game, and the show itself is choose your own adventure!?!?

I've also done a little of the choose your own adventure stuff with my niece, as they've had some kids stuff with it.

I wound up pretty disappointed. It was easily the most poorly written of the Black Mirror stuff I can think of. Way too on the nose, which I wound up disappointed in myself for not realizing that sooner, as it is a choose your own adventure about a choose your own adventure.

And a lot of the choice stuff was meh at best. Some of it felt like the choice didn't matter, things were going to work out the same way regardless. Some of it just led to a premature ending and sent you back anyway. The whole thing just didn't work for me. It's weird enough I wouldn't discourage anyone from checking it out, but I'd like to see someone really find something great about it that I just missed. I doubt it though.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 11:39 AM   #17402
highwhey
RENTFREE IN FBI'S HEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
I wanted to watch Bird Box over the weekend, and Roma, but when I turned on Netflix I wound up doing the new Black Mirror movie, Bandersnatch.

I was in on Black Mirror really early as far as this country goes, and feel a certain attachment to it, so I figured it's only fair I keep up with it. Plus I liked the idea, an early 80s video game developer making a choose your own adventure game, and the show itself is choose your own adventure!?!?

I've also done a little of the choose your own adventure stuff with my niece, as they've had some kids stuff with it.

I wound up pretty disappointed. It was easily the most poorly written of the Black Mirror stuff I can think of. Way too on the nose, which I wound up disappointed in myself for not realizing that sooner, as it is a choose your own adventure about a choose your own adventure.

And a lot of the choice stuff was meh at best. Some of it felt like the choice didn't matter, things were going to work out the same way regardless. Some of it just led to a premature ending and sent you back anyway. The whole thing just didn't work for me. It's weird enough I wouldn't discourage anyone from checking it out, but I'd like to see someone really find something great about it that I just missed. I doubt it though.
I didn't even finish it

i was intrigued by the concept but when watching it, i quickly realized it wasn't up to regular black mirror standards. saw a thread on reddit that was heavily upvoted and it shared a similar sentiment: it was a letdown.

i'm not upset they at least attempted it though, plus they confirmed a season 5 is coming.
highwhey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 11:42 AM   #17403
highwhey
RENTFREE IN FBI'S HEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeN
I hope to watch it. There's way too much tv out there.

I just finished watching:

Billions (Season 3)
The Punisher (Season 1)
Daredevil (Season 3)
Maniac
Homecoming
good era for tv.

2019:
Game of Thrones Season 8
True Detective Season 3 (actually looks good)
Stranger Things Season 3
Mindhunter Season 2 (1 was so fukking good)
Mr Robot final season
Silicon Valley S6
Watchmen series premiere on HBO
better call saul
black mirror
westworld
narcos mexico 2 (hopefully in 2019)
Bosch
highwhey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 11:45 AM   #17404
ZeN
Stormblessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwhey
good era for tv.

2019:
Game of Thrones Season 8
True Detective Season 3 (actually looks good)
Stranger Things Season 3
Mindhunter Season 2 (1 was so fukking good)
Mr Robot final season
Silicon Valley S6
Watchmen series premiere on HBO
better call saul
black mirror
westworld
narcos mexico 2 (hopefully in 2019)
Bosch
I've watched all of those shows except for Black Mirror and most of Narcos Mexico, which I plan on watching next. I cant wait for Watchmen because it's the same team that made The Leftovers which was amazing.
ZeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 11:47 AM   #17405
ZeN
Stormblessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous

Next time check out Roma which is simple in plot but visually stunning.
Old 01-02-2019, 01:06 PM   #17406
ZeN
Stormblessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke117
Haha, Sanderson released a a novel the MtG world? I was thinking I'd finally get into his Stormlight Archive series in 2019, but I'm not sure. There is a lot of stuff I need to read anyway and knowing it's a 10 book series with just 3 books out just puts me out as I'm not a patient person.

I always get amazon gifts cards from my family for xmas and always use them on books for my reading in the upcoming year. So far I've bought The Talisman by King (I've been meaning to read more of hsi novels) and Peter Straum, Mark Heitz the Dwarves which is the beginning of a 5 book series (I've always had a soft spot for dwarves in fantasy), Glen Cook's The Sword Bearer (which is one of his first books...my goal is to complete his bibliograpy), and Cook's Garrett For Hire (books 7-9 of his garrett pi series). Ian C Esslemont (malazan) is releasing his 3rd book in his Path to Ascendancy trilogy in february so I plan to read the first books of that series as I'm a huge Malazan fan.

...And now I've just bought Glen Cook's Heirs of Babylon which was his 2nd book published back in the day and is being republished.

Here is what i read this year:

Tad Williams: The Heart of What Was Lost

Tad Williams: The Witchwood Crown

Robin Hobb: Assassin's Fate

Glen Cook: Darkwar - 1 2 3

Michael McDowell: The Amulet

Glen Cook: Garrett P.I. - Dread Brass Shadows

Mark Lawrence: The Broken Empire - 1 2 3

Glen Cook: The Black Company - Port of Shadows

Glen Cook: A Chronicle of the Dread Empire - A Fortress in Shadow - 1 2

Glen Cook: Garrett P.I. - Red Iron Nights

Glen Cook: Dread Empire - Wrath of Kings: 1 2 3

Jim Butcher: Codex Alera - 1 2 3 4
I just bought the first Black Company novel for like 50 cents at a used book store, so I might read that sometime this year. It's pretty small page count, so it should be a quick read.
Old 01-14-2019, 09:26 PM   #17407
Smoke117
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeN
I just bought the first Black Company novel for like 50 cents at a used book store, so I might read that sometime this year. It's pretty small page count, so it should be a quick read.

I'm a big Glen Cook fan. If I was to recommend one book it'd be The Tower of Fear. That's his best novel in my opinion.

Anyway,

Not bad. 7.5/10. It reminded me of a solid Tarantino movie before his films became self indulgent nonsense. Fun film.

Last edited by Smoke117 : 01-14-2019 at 09:35 PM.
Smoke117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 09:34 PM   #17408
kennethgriffen
NBA sixth man of the year

bohemian rhapsody

useless ... 5.0/10

good vibe. great music. thats about it... you don't learn anything about the band. they rush through everything so they can get every song in there. every 10-15 minutes they go "hey check out this rift" or "this piano solo" or "this bass rhythm" and then BOOM ..another music video

its not a real movie
kennethgriffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 10:44 PM   #17409
Vragrant
Decent college freshman

Birdbox: 6/10
Was expecting more given the hype, however I was pretty disappointed overall especially with the ending. It lacked detail both in the backstory and the antagonist. I paused it with 10 minutes to go and thought "WTF this is almost over?".

Quiet Place:8/10
A better version of birdbox.
Vragrant is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: