Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    NBA Superstar

Default Re: Why is bball so fake/bad in shows and movies

I always appreciated that John Krasinski at least appeared to have played basketball at some point in his life. Some of his moves are still awkward and stunted, but it doesn't look like it's the first time he's played: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9B7BYHKiyig

Also, I heard the character who plays Kevin (Brian Baumgartner, seen at the end of the clip above) was the most athletic guy on that set.

And I've heard Steve Carrell may have played hockey in high school

^^ Yeah in the Threat Level Midnight episode of the office I remember they had a whole scene of Carrell showing off his hockey skills. You can definitely tell he played

Good High School Starter Out_In_Utah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by miller-time
    Even the one in The Amazing Spiderman looked stupid. I know he is Spiderman but that dunk just sucked.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMElfNC4_oo
    Traveling + offensive foul

Sunshine State

Quote Originally Posted by pauk
    Dat length doe would be considered unfair in todays league

Made that high school varsity squad Solidape's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sundizz
    I swear like every show has at least one scene at some point of some of the cast playing hoops. They always look so ridiculous awful and fake. Always talking trash...like that is what really happens when two work people go out to shoot around for fun. Just OD OD OD always. Even when the show, like CSI, is about a basketball star...the scenes for hoops of the "star players" are just cringe worthy bad. Anybody else get annoyed by this?
    You know man, I am glad I aint the only one feeling like that. I was watching a movie yesterday and the peeps shooting form was so horrible that I wondered where in America did those folks grow up that they dont even have a form that looks at least decent.

Grown men on TV chucking the ball like a 5 year old, see it all the time. Also those flying dunks

What really salts my onions is when actors walk around with the basketball instead of dribbling it. Cringe-worthy.

Decent college freshman InfiniteBaskets's Avatar

Let's be honest.

Movie with good actors who suck at bball > Movie with good bball players who can't act.

Yeah Ray Allen looked fluid in the bball scenes but if it weren't for Denzel that movie starts drifting towards unwatchable territory.

Dont H8 the Laker H8er glidedrxlr22's Avatar

Yes this bugs me. There's a movie with Adam Baldwin called 3:15 or Class 89 where's he's supposed be the best player on his team and dude has no hoops athletecism at all.....looks like a stiff.....yet they try to make him look good.

Don't know if it's been mentioned, but the Fresh Prince episode where Will and Allen Payne are hoops star rivals. They weren't even playing on regulation sized courts.....laughable. Looks like Jadacris mentioned this.

Good college starter

The flying dunks are probably the worst aspect of it. I already saw Spider man and Catwoman mentioned, and those are two of the worst ones I've seen. And if you've ever seen a basketball scene in an Indian movie, it's just cringe-worthy. They can barely dribble.

the Sho Kosugi of ISH -p.tiddy-'s Avatar

American History X

GOAT shitty bball scene in a movie

great movie overall, but that scene almost ruined the entire flick it was so bad...

Good college starter

And basketball scenes aren't even the worst offender. If you've seen any movies with "hacking" involved, you know what I mean.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by HoopsFanNumero1
    And basketball scenes aren't even the worst offender. If you've seen any movies with "hacking" involved, you know what I mean.
    You mean like this?: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8qgehH3kEQ

Side note, who's up for some Joe Pesci hoops?: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PF0Nbts0nHA

Good college starter

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204
    You mean like this?: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8qgehH3kEQ

Side note, who's up for some Joe Pesci hoops?: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PF0Nbts0nHA
    Or this, or this, or this

I don't know why these writers think hacking is about typing at 100+ wpm with Windows popping up from every which direction. And then they show some fancy device that they use to bypass the password system.