Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 05-18-2008, 06:21 PM   #1
SoCalMike
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Default Article: ESPN - Bynum to have arthroscopic surgery on injured left knee

Source: Bynum to have arthroscopic surgery on injured left knee

Quote:

EL SEGUNDO, Calif. -- More than four months after Andrew Bynum injured his left knee, it's been decided the Los Angeles Lakers center will undergo arthroscopic surgery.

The Lakers made the announcement Sunday, saying Dr. David Altchek will perform the procedure in New York on Wednesday -- the same day Bynum's team entertains San Antonio or New Orleans to begin the Western Conference finals.

An estimated timetable for Bynum's return will be provided following the
surgery.

"I just hope for the best for him," teammate Luke Walton said following a light practice Sunday. "He was a huge part of our success early on and he's going to be a huge part of our future."

SoCalMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 06:22 PM   #2
and1
I rule the local playground

Default Re: Article: ESPN - Bynum to have arthroscopic surgery on injured left knee

not cool, hope he makes it till next season starts
and1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 07:59 PM   #3
GMW
Made that high school varsity squad

Default Re: Article: ESPN - Bynum to have arthroscopic surgery on injured left knee

I guess I was expecting this, with his return date getting postponed all the time.

Hope he'll be 100% at the start of next season.
GMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 09:50 PM   #4
MJ(Mean John)
The Fresh Prince

Man this upsets me. All this time that they wasted trying to get him back. After sayin 8 WEEKS, blah blah, blah blah. This sucks, they should of let him go through surgery MONTHS ago. (That is, if they knew there was a strong possibility that he needed it.)

This bites. I hope he can make a speedy recovery.

God bless Drew.

Get back so we can get you back on the court and start making other teams sweat.

LETS GO LAKES.
MJ(Mean John) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 10:20 PM   #5
SourGrapes
let's go lake show!

from what ive heard about arthroscopic knee surgery it might not be that bad. it has a much faster healing time than open joint surgery as there are only two small incisions.

we dont know what they are doing with this yet. it could just be exploration, which they use athro for...i dont think just because hes having this procedure its necessarily a bad thing.

micro-fracture is the scary one.
SourGrapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 10:24 PM   #6
kobesabi
Double Dribble Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourGrapes
Like Amare Stoudemire had?
kobesabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 10:29 PM   #7
SourGrapes
let's go lake show!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobesabi
Like Amare Stoudemire had?

so its not a big deal? ask allan houston or jamal mashburn...even jason kidd really. and chris webber, and penny hardaway.

Last edited by SourGrapes : 05-18-2008 at 10:31 PM.
Old 05-18-2008, 10:32 PM   #8
MJ(Mean John)
The Fresh Prince

Quote:
from what ive heard about arthroscopic knee surgery it might not be that bad. it has a much faster healing time than open joint surgery as there are only two small incisions.

we dont know what they are doing with this yet. it could just be exploration, which they use athro for...i dont think just because hes having this procedure its necessarily a bad thing.

Dude, dont even say that.lol

I'm not Superstitious, its bad luck.(lol, the beauty of the Irony)

I'm just upset because I feel like it was something big from the start and they brushed it off, telling us it was only going to be 6-8 weeks that he was going to be out not 6-8 months.

On the other hand, It might of just been the Dr's that werent able to see a greater risk to his knee.
Old 05-18-2008, 10:40 PM   #9
SourGrapes
let's go lake show!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ(Mean John)
Dude, dont even say that.lol

I'm not Superstitious, its bad luck.(lol, the beauty of the Irony)

I'm just upset because I feel like it was something big from the start and they brushed it off, telling us it was only going to be 6-8 weeks that he was going to be out not 6-8 months.

On the other hand, It might of just been the Dr's that werent able to see a greater risk to his knee.

i bet memphis would have upped their price for pau if they knew we were that desperate.

and knee injuries are tough to diagnose. its hard to see a clear picture of whats going on inside, and much of the damage can come after the injury is done and the swelling sets in...and that can take weeks.

i hear you though, imagine if we had him back for the playoffs...
Old 05-18-2008, 10:43 PM   #10
kobesabi
Double Dribble Expert

Quote:
so its not a big deal? ask allan houston or jamal mashburn...even jason kidd really. and chris webber, and penny hardaway.
arthroscopic procedure is not big a deal now...but will be for Bynum in his early elder age than most average people.

But for micro-surgery is a big deal just like Amare Stoudemire.
Old 05-18-2008, 10:47 PM   #11
MJ(Mean John)
The Fresh Prince

Quote:
i bet memphis would have upped their price for pau if they knew we were that desperate.

and knee injuries are tough to diagnose. its hard to see a clear picture of whats going on inside, and much of the damage can come after the injury is done and the swelling sets in...and that can take weeks.

i hear you though, imagine if we had him back for the playoffs...

THATTS WHY, I was or am upset...
Old 05-18-2008, 10:51 PM   #12
kobesabi
Double Dribble Expert

If the Lakers win the war this year and gets the ring. Bynum is going to be so jealous...

All those boys flashing the ring at him. lol. Maybe that'll bring out the tiger in him even more.
Old 05-18-2008, 11:27 PM   #13
gts
shhhhhhh

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ(Mean John)
Man this upsets me. All this time that they wasted trying to get him back. After sayin 8 WEEKS, blah blah, blah blah. This sucks, they should of let him go through surgery MONTHS ago. (That is, if they knew there was a strong possibility that he needed it.)

This bites. I hope he can make a speedy recovery.

God bless Drew.

Get back so we can get you back on the court and start making other teams sweat.

LETS GO LAKES.
the story has always been wait and see, the time table given was the earliest he could come back.. even before the 8 weeks was up they said they were still waiting to see how much damage had been done because of swelling wasn't going down.. then the lakers suggested thye may want to do a exploratory and bynum went to his own doctor, then he went to a second docotr of his own choosing and even two weeks ago that doctor said that any exploratory surgery was going to have to wait because of the swelling... so they are doing it right, you have several docotrs all on the same page and not jumping to conclusions, not risking his long term health...

from what i heard on the radio the surgery is just like kobe had a couple years ago only even more minor, just cleaning out some framents of scar tissue that are formed when the healing takes place and that's just something that is done to avoid problems down the road because the scar tissue would harden and cause pain, kobe had his scar tissue removed after it had hardened and was causing discomfort
gts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 03:18 AM   #14
alexthegod
Local High School Star

I had a feeling it was going to come to this even before they announced the possibility. It's the next logical step when rest isnt working

Hopefully they don't find anything major and fix him up good. We all want to see him 100% and ready to go for next season!
alexthegod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 03:35 AM   #15
Fedor - Laker
Local High School Star

hope he recovers fast soon!
Fedor - Laker is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: