Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Default Re: Reggie Miller - HOF

Reggie Miller SHOULD be a Hall-of-Famer. That's what he is.

So much goes for stats when you define Reggie as a individual player.... let me try to explain...

Lets say Jordan vs Reggie play.. Bulls vs Pacers........ Michael Jordan goes of for 50 points, torches Reggie who defends him........ everybody goes "Damn Jordan is sooooo goooood! Reggie sux!!"....... all of the sudden its the 4th quarter and Reggie goes absolutely ham and hits the gamewinner and then shows Jordan the "choke sign".... he wins the game, has only 20 points........ lets you think you can win, lets you do your fancy thing and then unleashes his weapon when it matters the most and steals the game..... and then he mocks you like: "Nice 50 point game.... pffft!"

Hehe... did not happen like that exactly, but you get my point... Reggie was that type of a player, competitor and character/trashtalker.....

Now... if you watched that game you would know Reggie as an individual player was easily top 5-10 in the league (and doing that his entire career i would say easily top 50 individual player of all time)......... that he was a damn trolling assassin

But if you only saw the boxscore you would think he was nowhere near Top 10 in the league and nowhere close to Top 50 best individual players ever.....

Understand what i mean?
    Last edited by pauk; 04-02-2012 at 09:22 PM.

Original ISH CLTHornet CLTHornets4eva's Avatar

****Random thought****

In a wierd way, Reggie is a better college commentator than NBA commentator.

Quote Originally Posted by CLTHornets4eva
    ****Random thought****

In a wierd way, Reggie is a better college commentator than NBA commentator.
    I dont think he is that good of a commentator, but hey... i dont mind having my favorite player of all time around...

Its funny because he sounds so much like a "geeky" good guy... and he is and always was that of the court .... but on the court... he was a completely different human, he turned into this cold blooded evil villain.... who everybody hated, except that one guy who found it all ridicilously entertaining (me!)

Watching Reggie WIN was like watching a Villain movie where the villain ends up killing everybody, where there is no happy ending for the "lead role good guys"...
    Last edited by pauk; 04-02-2012 at 09:36 PM.

You should have started this thread using your SunsCaptain account...no need to post non-LeBron related topics under this username.

College star

Quote Originally Posted by pauk

He was one of those guys that would drop 20 points on you most of the time....... where as most of those points would come in the 4th quarter / clutch....

Another thing... Reggie was not a shotjacker/chucker... the highest amount of FG attempts he ever took was 29........ and that time he scored 57 points....
    In other words, he's the anti Kobe & Lebron.

Dunking on everybody in the park

Loved watching Reggie play in his prime. He was a dirty ass player, but you can't deny how lethal he was, especially from downtown when he was hot. Well deserved

My favorite picture of Reggie... just look at everybody in the crowd...
    They facial expressions before he even recieves the ball, they know exactly what is gona happen before it even happens... and what they thought would happen happened exactly the way they thought would happen....

Picture defines Reggies career the best.. spike lee, crowd, msg, knicks, reggie in the clutch / miller time, jump shooting, drama and boom baby!...

Last edited by pauk; 04-02-2012 at 09:53 PM.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

And he shot those percentages off screens. That's crazy. No offense was ever really drawn up for him thru the game. The offense was what it was and he just kept running. As evidenced by those seasons in the early 90's (and his playoffs) this guy was more than capable of being amongst the league leaders in scoring, if he actually got to do more than just run all day.
    So you think guys like Larry Brown and Larry Bird who coached him just didnt know how talented he was and limited him because of it or what?

What do you think his coaches failed to notice that had him forever running off screens?

And you think those screens were not called plays? You think those staggered screens and such were by chance? That Dale Davis was often 18 feet from the basket because he might be looking to shoot? Or he built that wall on the baseline 3000 times while breaking an offense designed to post up Smits?

Reggie had as much set offense run for him as almost anyone ive ever seen. He just didnt shoot much because running off screens doesnt get you room for 25 shots a night. He worked hard and got looks when he got them.

But he didnt run off 40 screens a night while the offense was setup to do something else.

Awesome. One of my favorite players of all time

And I actually enjoy his commentary. Reggie along with Kevin Harlan =

Shout out to Reggie Miller. A tenacious player and one of the best trash talkers.

College superstar

Reggie gained his recognition through a few famous clutch buckets and through the Pacers bruising playoff battles against the Knicks. He had very little individual accomplishments or accolades.

Never understood why everyone loves this guy so much. I honestly think most people are just being nostalgic. As a player, Miller was so limited. Couldn't rebound, couldn't defend, couldn't create his own shot off the dribble (other than a step-back), didn't drive and wasn't an exceptional scorer. Hell, he was a "shooter" with no mid-range game. All of that "clutch" was done versus one team, (one series in particular) that his team seldom won against.

Reggie Miller is a prime example of the power of "clutch" and New York. If he doesn't have that legendary game against the Knicks (they lost the series by the way) he's not looked upon in the same way.

He's living off the whole "he killed the Knicks" thing, and the sad part is I guarantee if you go up to 10 people and ask them who won that series at least 6 out of 10 will say the Pacers.

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by pauk
    My favorite picture of Reggie... just look at everybody in the crowd...
    They facial expressions before he even recieves the ball, they know exactly what is gona happen before it even happens... and what they thought would happen happened exactly the way they thought would happen....

Picture defines Reggies career the best.. spike lee, crowd, msg, knicks, reggie in the clutch / miller time, jump shooting, drama and boom baby!...

This is my point. I think Reggie has become overrated due to his exposure more than his overall skills. Playing for the same team entire career, big shots, memorable playoff moments, Pacers/Knicks and Miller/Spike Lee rivalry etc. I think Reggie has become overrated though due to his exposure more than his overall skills. Might seem strange that this is a factor, but when people think of the Pacers they immediately think of Reggie Miller. He's so fondly remembered for his game 5 at MSG, but the Pacers lost that series and he went 15-39 in the final 2 games. Was outplayed by John Starks when they had a home game that would have taken them to the Finals.

It's a shame that Miller is more revered than players like Dominique, Clyde, and even Mitch Richmond who was the better SG during their time.
    Last edited by Ne 1; 04-02-2012 at 10:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ne 1
    This is my point. I think Reggie has become overrated due to his exposure more than his overall skills. Playing for the same team entire career, big shots, memorable playoff moments, Pacers/Knicks and Miller/Spike Lee rivalry etc. I think Reggie has become overrated though due to his exposure more than his overall skills. Might seem strange that this is a factor, but when people think of the Pacers they immediately think of Reggie Miller.

It's a shame that Miller is more revered than players like Dominique, Clyde, and even Mitch Richmond who was the better SG during their time.
    Did you just say he is overrated do to his exposure? How the hell do you think he got that exposure ...

too early for him, he deserved to wait longer but get in eventually