The Nike + iPod Experience is a Nike+ ready shoe working in harmony with you Apple iPod nano to deliver music, workout information, and real-time audio feedback. A small sensor fits inside the midsole of a Nike+ ready shoe and wirelessly communicates workout information to a receiver that attaches to your iPod nano. At the end of your run, you'll see a summary on your iPod nano screen of how far and how fast you've run.
1. The sensor turns on automatically whenever a person starts to walk.
2. The sensor measures each runner's footstrike, similar to how an odometer in a car keeps track of every mile.
3. The sensor wirelessly transmits this data to a small receiver that plugs into the bottom of an Apple iPod nano.
4. Nike+ software in the iPod nano then uses this data to calculate pace, distance, time elapsed and calories burned. Real-time audio feedback from the iPod nano communicates pace, distance, time elapsed and calories burned while listening to music.
5. Following the run, connect the iPod nano to the computer for workout data to be automatically transmitted to nikeplus.com, where progress is tracked.
...read the full guide with pics here