Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 09-20-2019, 12:21 PM   #46
guy
3-time NBA All-Star

Default Re: Does Kobe modeling his game on MJ and being successful

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdot_thadon
I'd imagine 2 3peats, bridged by a back to back where you're the most important player in all of them has that covered.......

If you’re talking about Bill Russell, sure. Maybe I should’ve said modern era.

Either way, point still stands. To act like Kobe three-peating once with no FMVPs makes Jordan doing it twice and winning FMVP all 6 times less impressive or that Jordan doesn’t compare to Lebron statistically is asinine.
guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 12:33 PM   #47
sdot_thadon
truth serum

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy
If you’re talking about Bill Russell, sure. Maybe I should’ve said modern era.

Either way, point still stands. To act like Kobe three-peating once with no FMVPs makes Jordan doing it twice and winning FMVP all 6 times less impressive or that Jordan doesn’t compare to Lebron statistically is asinine.
The post you replied to didn't say what you took from it, calm down. I read MJ's resume is not unique in either regard, and that's the truth. Others have 3peats and others have insane statistics. Where in that post did you get Mj doesn't compare to lebron statistically? Seriously, chill out fella
sdot_thadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 01:13 PM   #48
guy
3-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdot_thadon
The post you replied to didn't say what you took from it, calm down. I read MJ's resume is not unique in either regard, and that's the truth. Others have 3peats and others have insane statistics. Where in that post did you get Mj doesn't compare to lebron statistically? Seriously, chill out fella

Okay...no one is not calm here. I didn't curse or insult anyone so I'm not sure where that is coming from.

I may have misread the Lebron part. The Kobe thing? If someone wanted to bring up Bill Russell or Shaq to say Jordan 3-peating isn't unique, that makes some sense. I would just say in response to Russell that Jordan did it in the modern era and in response to Shaq I would say Jordan did it twice. But to bring up Kobe, on top of doing it twice, Jordan's importance was just so much more significant its kind of a ridiculous comparison.
guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 09:24 PM   #49
3ball
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy

Okay...no one is not calm here. I didn't curse or insult anyone so I'm not sure where that is coming from.

I may have misread the Lebron part. The Kobe thing? If someone wanted to bring up Bill Russell or Shaq to say Jordan 3-peating isn't unique, that makes some sense. I would just say in response to Russell that Jordan did it in the modern era and in response to Shaq I would say Jordan did it twice. But to bring up Kobe, on top of doing it twice, Jordan's importance was just so much more significant its kind of a ridiculous comparison.

That's why MJ is goat - 6 rings as "the man" in the modern era (the most winning in the modern era as "the man")

2nd place only has 3 rings as "the man", so the goat won twice as much as "the man" than anyone else did.. and that's how it's supposed to be for the goat
3ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 09:53 PM   #50
sdot_thadon
truth serum

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy

You did misread and get defensive over what you misread. It's a pattern here....

About this whole "modern era" excuse, what exactly earns this separate distinction for Mj that he's "saved" from having to face Russell's clearly better accomplishments? Is it because it's the past? Rule changes? Training and medicine? Evolution of the game? Philosophy? Exposure?

All those things in turn apply to MJ's era compared to this one as well. So why is the 90s considered the modern era when the game has changed just as much from the 60s to the 90s as it has from the 90s to now? Doesn't quite pass the smell test in historical debates.
sdot_thadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 10:55 PM   #51
egokiller
The Mind Fvcker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ball
That's why MJ is goat - 6 rings as "the man" in the modern era (the most winning in the modern era as "the man")

2nd place only has 3 rings as "the man", so the goat won twice as much as "the man" than anyone else did.. and that's how it's supposed to be for the goat

2 rings as the man + a 3 peat as a side kick only losing twice in the finals with more difficult routes to the finals > 3 rings and 6 losses with easy trips to the finals.
egokiller is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: