Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Default Re: Point Guard options

Our current PG rotation has really been this bad?
    A fair no of us fans were screaming for ANY DECENT PG 2-3 years ago and almost the same no. of us were quite excited upon hearing that they just signed Steve Blake. Steve looked pretty good in Portland, Denver and with the Clips and now??
    Which brings in another chicken or the egg question. Is it really the lack of decent PG or is it bec Kobe tends to dominate or hold the ball for atleast 5 seconds at times, hence stagnating the offense or "limiting" what a typical PG can do??
    Somebody in 710 am radio this morning was lamenting how the the Lakers missed out on the greatness of Jermy Lin and one caller brought up the point I mentioned above.

Quote Originally Posted by dd24
    I'm not kidding you. Do you really think the Lakers are going to get a great PG this season? This current Lakers roster obviously isn't going to win a championship. Orlando isn't going to trade Howard until the last minute, maybe even the off season so I don't really think it's realistic to think any big moves are going to be made this season. They might grab Arenas but that doesn't make them contenders all the sudden. This off season is where I see the biggest moves being made. We might be stuck with this current roster for this season. So absolutely, I think the draft this year is crucial. Rookie PG's have been known to step in and contribute right away. I'm sure you wouldn't be complaining if the Lakers had Irving or Rubio

For the millionth time:

WE DO NOT NEED A GREAT POINT GUARD!!!!!!!!

WE JUST NEED A DECENT ATHLETIC ONE OR ONE WHO CAN SHOOT......MOST TEAMS 3RD STRING PG IS BETTER THAN ANYONE WE HAVE......SO IT'S NOT HARD FOR USE TO GET AN UPGRADE!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by lakerfreak
    Kobe was recently interviewed by Stephen A. Smith saying regardless of the moves the lakers make, that he will now retire as a laker, and that the previous demand for a trade's ship as sailed. Kobe is now here for good.

I DIDN'T SAY ANYTHING ABOUT KOBE ASKING FOR A TRADE!!!!!!!

WHERE THE HELL DID THAT COME FROM?????????

I' m simply saying that Kobe won't be happy if the team decides to wait on a very iffy at best draft pick who wont develop until Kobe is on his way out.......The MAMBA WANTS THAT 6TH RING BADLY!!!!!!!!

Allen Iverson, who sources indicated the Lakers had some interest in as long as he was willing to go to the NBA Developmental League for a few weeks first, is not the answer. He's simply not a point guard. The Lakers are also said to be interested in former Toronto Raptors point guard Rafer Alston, who helped the Orlando Magic reach the NBA Finals in 2009. But who knows if that will materialize into anything?
    http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/colum...ew-york-knicks

A.I is even smaller than Arenas and looked worse the last time he played. At this point, I would prefer Arenas over A.I..

Quote Originally Posted by DKLaker
    I DIDN'T SAY ANYTHING ABOUT KOBE ASKING FOR A TRADE!!!!!!!

WHERE THE HELL DID THAT COME FROM?????????

I' m simply saying that Kobe won't be happy if the team decides to wait on a very iffy at best draft pick who wont develop until Kobe is on his way out.......The MAMBA WANTS THAT 6TH RING BADLY!!!!!!!!
    You have to relax, sometimes I feel like you're about ready to throw something at my screen name.

You said this

Ask Kobe how he feels about that
    Which to me meant, he would get pissed. In the past when he got pissed, he demanded a trade. So I concluded by your post, that you insinuated Kobe would want out again if he got pissed.

Its just a discussion board DK. The lakers aren't looking at our posts and asking "should we listen to freak or DK". We're just having a basketball discussion, and learning at the same time.

NBA lottery pick

For the millionth time:

WE DO NOT NEED A GREAT POINT GUARD!!!!!!!!

WE JUST NEED A DECENT ATHLETIC ONE OR ONE WHO CAN SHOOT......MOST TEAMS 3RD STRING PG IS BETTER THAN ANYONE WE HAVE......SO IT'S NOT HARD FOR USE TO GET AN UPGRADE!!!!
    You just helped me make my point..... They may not get a great PG with their 1st round pick, but they could get someone who is pretty good and would be far more affordable. I'd rather not make a trade for a mediocre player. A guy like Sessions is not the answer either.....

You just helped me make my point..... They may not get a great PG with their 1st round pick, but they could get someone who is pretty good and would be far more affordable. I'd rather not make a trade for a mediocre player. A guy like Sessions is not the answer either.....
    Lakerfreak....I know it's hard to understand a person's tone in writing.....just know that I have the utmost respect for you as a person, you are one of my favs on here and a true class act always. I am extremely happy that you are the mod who stayed on here......so NO, I'm not trying to get personal with you or throwing anything at my computer....
    For the record again......I never even considered Kobe asking for a trade and I do feel that the Lakers will make a deal this season and have a shot at a title.

DD24.....what are you talking about bro.....what??? You really want us to waste time on another rookie like your boy Morris who you thought would be the answer???? I am talking about getting a guy who is already in the NBA and has shown he belongs there......a draft pick that we would get would be a lower pick and likely a bust.........our dumb butts picked Crittendon over Aaron Brooks Kobe.....me and most people do not want to waste a year on a what if, but maybe.....bust rookie.

Get Howard+Ryan Anderson+Turkoglu+Jameer Nelson for Gasol & Bynum and we would be ok.

Quote Originally Posted by kobe080
    Get Howard+Ryan Anderson+Turkoglu+Jameer Nelson for Gasol & Bynum and we would be ok.
    I'll drop off and pick all involved up at the airport

Let's do it Mitch!!!!!!!

NBA lottery pick

DD24.....what are you talking about bro.....what??? You really want us to waste time on another rookie like your boy Morris who you thought would be the answer???? I am talking about getting a guy who is already in the NBA and has shown he belongs there......a draft pick that we would get would be a lower pick and likely a bust.........our dumb butts picked Crittendon over Aaron Brooks Kobe.....me and most people do not want to waste a year on a what if, but maybe.....bust rookie.
    I'm still high on Morris, but I never said he was a for sure answer. He definitely deserves more PT though. The first round is loaded with talent this year and I think it's a good pick to have. Anyhow, there is no quick fix. The Lakers need a season to rebuild. Let's just be happy that they're still a competitive team and have some tradeable pieces. I'm sure they'll make some moves, it's just not going to happen overnight and I think it'll probably take more than this season.

Local High School Star TryToBeUnbias's Avatar

Session and Arenas ?

I'm still high on Morris, but I never said he was a for sure answer. He definitely deserves more PT though. The first round is loaded with talent this year and I think it's a good pick to have. Anyhow, there is no quick fix. The Lakers need a season to rebuild. Let's just be happy that they're still a competitive team and have some tradeable pieces. I'm sure they'll make some moves, it's just not going to happen overnight and I think it'll probably take more than this season.
    True, you never said he was the sure answer, I was simply making the point that a guy like Morris may turn out to be a complete bust.....to bank on drafting a rookie to play PG for this team is far too big a gamble to even consider.
    There is absolutely no reason that we cannot make a simple trade or two to make this team a championship contender......we have already passed on a deal which would've done that.....the Houston deal....Scola, Martin, Dragic and #1 pick.....would've given us a definite shot......and if we pulled off a Bynum for Howard deal...I would have us as the favorites. This could still happen. Look at how late in the season the Pau trade was made.....and we got to the finals.....no reason at all to think a trade deadline deal or two would be too late.

True, you never said he was the sure answer, I was simply making the point that a guy like Morris may turn out to be a complete bust.....to bank on drafting a rookie to play PG for this team is far too big a gamble to even consider.
    There is absolutely no reason that we cannot make a simple trade or two to make this team a championship contender......we have already passed on a deal which would've done that.....the Houston deal....Scola, Martin, Dragic and #1 pick.....would've given us a definite shot......and if we pulled off a Bynum for Howard deal...I would have us as the favorites. This could still happen. Look at how late in the season the Pau trade was made.....and we got to the finals.....no reason at all to think a trade deadline deal or two would be too late.
    Agreed, ONLY if it is a worth it move.

About the lakers deal with houston, don't forget that we would have unloaded two big contracts of underachievers in Odom and Pau to get that done to take on a superstar in return.

I guess in that case, for the lakers it was "Chris Paul or nothing". And can you blame them? Taking on all those players would have been a big financial load for a team that we don't even know is going to win the championship. Kobe said it best himself "Other teams are just mad that there would have been a superstar to carry the team after im gone...." Thats honestly what that Chris Paul trade was for. Not to get us to win championships, but to prepare for the long anticipated departure of the second greatest shooting guard to ever play the game.

Make sense?

Lakers is currently giving Gilbert Arenas a test at the moment...
    In a search to find some scoring for their floundering offense, Los Angeles Lakers officials attended a private workout for guard Gilbert Arenas on Sunday in Southern California, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.

Two sources familiar with the workout said Arenas moved well and made a positive impression, but there was no sense of how quickly – if at all – the Lakers would pursue signing him to a free-agent contract.
    http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_yl..._lakers_021212

On a different aspect, thinking further ahead...if Lakers accept, will this affect the Dwight Howard decision to the Lakers or not? Gilbert was playing with DH in the past and didn't seem to impact much, not sure if it was because of coaching or GA himself. If it was GA himself, it may affect DH decision toward Lakers I think (i.e. thinking oh...more of the same GA stuff). Also by signing GA, I hope it does not mean we won't go after top PG still like DW - I hope DH does not think this way too...