Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Default Re: If someone told you their favorite movie was "____________" you'd know you hate them

Quote Originally Posted by ukplayer4
    thats interesting seeing as how among the people on this board who know about film respect my opinion highly, even thoe i have had big disagreements with several of them in the past. lost in translation is considered a great film by the film world, nataurally a waste of of sperm like you doesnt understand it, that just stands to reason. uncultured people need to attack people with superiour appreciation to try and feel less pitiful cause theyre taste is shameful and they know it. i explained objectively about lost in translation and also stated my personal stand point. i respect jackass taste and his reasoning not to like it. you are just an idiot who no one respects.
    Son, the only reputation you have on this site is for your opinion that Aronofsky is the new Kubrick.

If you think you have deserved any "respect" for that all hope for you is lost, but that we already know.

NBA Superstar

Default Re: If someone told you their favorite movie was "____________" you'd know you hate them

I thought I'd bump this thread because I watched Lost in Translation tonight for the first time in eight years. I've been meaning to give it a shot for some time now because I remember not really feeling anything about it in '04 but I thought maybe something had changed.

I'm afraid to say I still wasn't blown away by it. What is the major draw behind this flick? What do others believe makes this movie not just good, but great?

Edit: I wrote the above part way through the flick. As it has just now concluded, I'll say I can see where some people are coming from. I suppose I found it more relateable this time around than I did eight years ago. However, there were still too many barriers preventing me from loving it. I couldn't get over the old guy Bill Murray/young Scarlett dynamic. And I can't really relate to being stuck alone in a foreign country (even if that was just meant to represent the two characters being at a lonely, un-relateable point of their lives) and I actually couldn't vibe with the soundtrack. It had a heavy My Bloody Valentine feel and I was not feeling that.

So maybe I don't know how to adequately appreciate good film. I will say though, I just Wiki'd it and found out a member from My Bloody Valentine did five tracks for the film, so I feel pretty hipster-like for being able to recognize their sound prior to knowing it was actually them (or him in this case). Also, the Wiki relates it to Before Sunrise. I prefer that film to this one.
    Last edited by Rake2204; 06-09-2012 at 12:34 AM.

LiT is one of my fave movies, not afraid to admit it

back on topic

fight club
    dark knight
    iron man

Quote Originally Posted by JayGuevara
    No Country For Old Men
    Sideways
    30 Days Of Night
    In Bruges
    etc

My favorite movie is High School High.
    Sideways! This. A movie made by and for middle aged people, so if someone in their twenties says it's their favorite... (ditto most Woody Allen)

I think In Bruges is good though. Quite gentle for a 'gangster' movie I guess. Tight plot, funny characters, Ralph Fiennes chewing scenery (although perhaps straying a little too close at times to Ben Kingsley's performance/role in Sexy Beast.) A solid 7 or 8 out of 10 for me.

I am Chris Wilcox

I can understand people saying TDK 3 years ago, since most people were just full of hype and being annoying fan boys, but I think the amount of people who would list that as their favourite movie is much less than 3 years ago.

On a related note, there doesn't seem to be nearly as much hype for TDKR. Heath Ledger's death was the best thing that happened for TDK.

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204
    I thought I'd bump this thread because I watched Lost in Translation tonight for the first time in eight years. I've been meaning to give it a shot for some time now because I remember not really feeling anything about it in '04 but I thought maybe something had changed.

I'm afraid to say I still wasn't blown away by it. What is the major draw behind this flick? What do others believe makes this movie not just good, but great?

Edit: I wrote the above part way through the flick. As it has just now concluded, I'll say I can see where some people are coming from. I suppose I found it more relateable this time around than I did eight years ago. However, there were still too many barriers preventing me from loving it. I couldn't get over the old guy Bill Murray/young Scarlett dynamic. And I can't really relate to being stuck alone in a foreign country (even if that was just meant to represent the two characters being at a lonely, un-relateable point of their lives) and I actually couldn't vibe with the soundtrack. It had a heavy My Bloody Valentine feel and I was not feeling that.

So maybe I don't know how to adequately appreciate good film. I will say though, I just Wiki'd it and found out a member from My Bloody Valentine did five tracks for the film, so I feel pretty hipster-like for being able to recognize their sound prior to knowing it was actually them (or him in this case). Also, the Wiki relates it to Before Sunrise. I prefer that film to this one.

not liking lost in translation does not mean you dont appreciate good films, its one of my favs and when i have a minute ill write a full response here as to why i like the film. i know alot of scholars and people in the film world that dislike it strongly.

Future D1 Dad

harry potter.

transformers

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Kebab Stall
    I can understand people saying TDK 3 years ago, since most people were just full of hype and being annoying fan boys, but I think the amount of people who would list that as their favourite movie is much less than 3 years ago.

On a related note, there doesn't seem to be nearly as much hype for TDKR. Heath Ledger's death was the best thing that happened for TDK.
    Publicity wise yes lol

I think TDK surprised many people, myself included. If you took out the DC characters the film still would have been great which many people wern't expecting. It was more of an epic crime saga along the lines of "Heat" than it's predecessor super hero movie "Batman Begins".

Transformers
    Project X
    Inception

The Hangover

F*CK those people. If that's your favorite movie, lay patiently in the middle of the closest road to your house.

Project X

Banned

I have friends who say Project X is the best movie ever

But I don't care, I actually liked it.

LFC|JAYS|RAPS|VIKES

hobo with a shotgun

if you like that movie don't come near me

Quote Originally Posted by Loneshot
    Transformers
    Project X
    Inception
    absolutely, i think im the only person who didn't like it