Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: Democrats, explain yourselves..

i think the private sector interferes as much with the government as the government does with it.

Smile, you're on ISH Crystallas's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastic
    The government really doesn't interfere that much in the economy. At least not as much as you think.

We live in a large complex society. We are not going to allow companies to sell poison, and just wait for the market to correct itself.
    They interfere with every transaction. They, not us. Us meaning, we are supposed to have representative government, but we don't. Well, actually we kind of do, they represent their friends, but not the interest of the majority.
    Every single fabricated item is interfered with by the government. That means all goods produced. Services have the least amount of interference, and if you do service work/desk job, you may live your life never noticing much interference other than in the transactions and maybe an audit/inspection from time to time.

Also, this idea that poison would be sold on the market without regulation, at any greater of a rate that it is sold now is utterly false. There is always an adjustment period, and to assume that the idea of transitioning regulation to a market approach is done overnight, is asinine. A transition is always required, that includes transparency, otherwise there will be problems and the market, no matter what, self-corrects itself. Because, if you haven't figured this out yet, the market is the people. The market is larger than the government can ever be. The market represents the people more accurately, faster, and is safer than a central planning system that can, in no possible way, know the needs of the people or the peaceful wills of their lives.

NBA Superstar

Ron Paul 2012!

rank sentamentalist

Quote Originally Posted by N0Skillz
    yeah what about that
    yeah!!

The concept of true capitalism is, to me, even more ridiculous than communism.

Obviously neither one will ever happen because they are both paper ideas. However, the government should be required to bring everything towards a middle class. The super rich should be taxed super hard. The middle class should be getting more of that money.

Ideally, I'd like to see the middle and lower-middle class get all of the tax breaks and maybe get rid of all of these super low class benefits. At least, for parents.

Maybe if you are less than 18 and your family lacks money you should get a certain aid from the government to pursue your education, but we don't need crack heads getting welfare checks.

Most of the divide between Republican and Democrat has to do with GOD. The average american is stupid. They say REPUBLICANS LOVE GOD, HATE ABORTION OK! And they keep thinking that people need to work for everything they receive. What is lost on them is that fact that these people are middle and lower middle class people, so they would receive a huge benefit for voting straight democrat. But they'd rather not go to hell for condoning abortion.

-Smak

Sixers|Eagles|Phillies StateProperty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BGriffin's Dad
    i mean... have you guys seen 2 gay dudes having sex? that shit must be nasty.

i definitely want government to tell us what we should and shouldn't do in our private lives.
    Yeah, tell them they can't marry. That'll keep them from having sex for sure.

______________________ Balla_Status's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jailblazers7
    What about the opposite question addressed to Republicans?
    Social conservatives and liberals are irrational people.

And nobody really answered the question.

Quote Originally Posted by Balla_Status
    Social conservatives and liberals are irrational people.

And nobody really answered the question.
    Because people fundamentally disagree about the performance of markets. Its really not difficult to understand why some people support regulation.

Stop Legislating Morality

Quote Originally Posted by joe
    (Not all democrats share the exact same views and so I'm generalizing with what I'm about to say. Not trying to paint everyone with one brush, it's just easier to address everyone at once than to go person by person).

Okay, so democrats, explain yourself on this.

Why is it, that it's okay for the government to interfere so much in the economy, but it's not okay for them to interfere in your personal lives or overseas?

Democrats in general seem to want less overseas spending, less wars, less nation building, etc. Which I agree with. They also don't want government telling people what to do with their body or with their personal decisions (marijuana, gay marriage, etc). All stuff I agree with.

Yet... when it comes to the economy it's a different story. You guys want government shackles in all directions.

Why?
    It's basically because we know 19th Century American history and what a shithole America was turning into when Big Business was unimpeded in any way and was allowed to act as criminal organizations, harming the environment, workers and the competitive free-market itself. Essentially, the individual citizen-consumer had no power against the massive wealth of entrenched interests. I'm a Democrat because a free-market needs regulation to avoid things like gangsterism or corporate armies. Regulation prevented the US from becoming an oligarchy like most of South America. As far back as Adam Smith, it was recognized that a free market could not operate outside of laws and regulations.

I think you are a libertarian or at least have those views. Libertarianism is a luxury ideology that pops up in the affluence of a strong, functioning state. It's something you can worry about when you and your family are pretty safe and secure and not working 16 hour days in a factory. To lot of people today who don't know about 19th century America or how America could have turned out, take for granted the foundation that our affluent society has been built on and assume that society would have just turned out that way, if government was never involved.

Also I like weekends.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinNYC
    It's basically because we know 19th Century American history and what a shithole America was turning into when Big Business was unimpeded in any way and was allowed to act as criminal organizations, harming the environment, workers and the competitive free-market itself. Essentially, the individual citizen-consumer had no power against the massive wealth of entrenched interests. I'm a Democrat because a free-market needs regulation to avoid things like gangsterism or corporate armies. Regulation prevented the US from becoming an oligarchy like most of South America. As far back as Adam Smith, it was recognized that a free market could not operate outside of laws and regulations.

I think you are a libertarian or at least have those views. Libertarianism is a luxury ideology that pops up in the affluence of a strong, functioning state. It's something you can worry about when you and your family are pretty safe and secure and not working 16 hour days in a factory. To lot of people today who don't know about 19th century America or how America could have turned out, take for granted the foundation that our affluent society has been built on and assume that society would have just turned out that way, if government was never involved.

Also I like weekends.
    I'm confused. So you're interpretation of the 19th century is somehow an assumption of what libertarianism represents? Are you going to cherry pick facts from that make your case? Or are you ignoring the massive portion of the century that evolved technology and quality of life for people in this country, that grew from absolutely nothing, into the largest economy the world has ever seen. Yeah, let's ignore that part, and then use the ignorant robber baron argument. While you're at it, blame slavery on the market. Then, use inaccurate psychobabble to back up the premise of your argument.

Pardon my impatience, but you have to make an accurate argument. Try understanding where a legitimate libertarian comes from their conclusions, not someone at college that read a few books out of protest and said, "Oh yeah, that's the way to go". Here, I have devised a simple test to see whether you have an accurate impression of what a libertarian is. Just ask yourself, do you think libertarians are similar to anarchists? If the answer is yes, then you really have no clue whatsoever. Perhaps you don't care to know or understand. That's your prerogative, and in that case, why should anyone accept the arguments from someone who shuns off diverse thinking? Here, the OP asked a question about hypocrisy, and every half-attempt was a dodge of sorts. A parrot, repeating a source of extreme bias, with little or no comprehensive thoughts to back anything up.
    Last edited by Crystallas; 01-26-2012 at 04:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by IlliniFan
    Pretty sure it was deregulation that got the economy in the mess it's in so not quite sure what you're getting at. Fail all around.

/thread

Quote Originally Posted by joe
    (Not all democrats share the exact same views and so I'm generalizing with what I'm about to say. Not trying to paint everyone with one brush, it's just easier to address everyone at once than to go person by person).

Okay, so democrats, explain yourself on this.

Why is it, that it's okay for the government to interfere so much in the economy, but it's not okay for them to interfere in your personal lives or overseas?

Democrats in general seem to want less overseas spending, less wars, less nation building, etc. Which I agree with. They also don't want government telling people what to do with their body or with their personal decisions (marijuana, gay marriage, etc). All stuff I agree with.

Yet... when it comes to the economy it's a different story. You guys want government shackles in all directions.

Why?
    How come Republicans want a regulation free market, but want to step in and tell you who you can marry, whether or not you can have an abortion, buy a prostitute, or use drugs?

The myth of deregulation. Which deregulation was this exactly? Or are you guys ignoring the fact that there was never deregulation in whole, just selective deregulation(that favored the elites, not true deregulation, which nobody here supports), while even more regulation was tacked on at the same time(the additional regulations heavily outweighed those that were cut.)

Quote Originally Posted by DeuceWallaces
    How come Republicans want a regulation free market, but want to step in and tell you who you can marry, whether or not you can have an abortion, buy a prostitute, or use drugs?
    He isn't a republican, and I'm not sure if he is a libertarian either.