Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 09-09-2007, 03:44 PM   #1
BColl16
Can barely lace up my sneakers

BColl16 has an OK reputation so far
Thumbs up Good Basketball Tip

Can you spell the ABC backwards while dribbling?

If you want to exercise your thinking while you execute other basketball tasks, try the following while you dribble a ball:

1. Spell the ABCDZ. That's going to be easy. Don't stop the dribble.
2. Spell the ABC backwards ZYXWA. Beware: it won't be that easy.
3. When you have this mastered, spell your name, phone no. etc., everything backwards.

Dribbling is easy for you as is following directions from your coach. But following instructions from the bench while dribbling can be confusing. Try these drills to improve.
BColl16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 03:52 PM   #2
artificial
:-P

artificial is a pretty well-respected posterartificial is a pretty well-respected posterartificial is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: Good Basketball Tip

Sounds good and useful. I think I'm going to try it.
artificial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 03:57 PM   #3
mattevans11
National High School Star

mattevans11 is considered somewhat coolmattevans11 is considered somewhat coolmattevans11 is considered somewhat cool

how old are we.........
you think saying the alphabet backwards is gonna help your skills. man o man the world has gone mad.

knowing the alphabet might benefit you later in life when you are old enough to drink and with that question you will proabbly be drinking quite often..... anyways. WTF!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by mattevans11 : 09-09-2007 at 03:59 PM.
mattevans11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 04:10 PM   #4
BColl16
Can barely lace up my sneakers

BColl16 has an OK reputation so far
Thumbs up Re: Good Basketball Tip

try it man, it's not easy. when you play you need to think, it's the same man. peace bro.
BColl16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 04:15 PM   #5
Soundwave
College superstar

Soundwave is considered somewhat coolSoundwave is considered somewhat coolSoundwave is considered somewhat cool

Sounds interesting even though it is unorthodox. Why not, though, any kid who grows up playing basketball will go through tons of dribbling drills, might as well add one more for variety if nothing else.
Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 04:17 PM   #6
20 Dimes A Game
HeartHustleHope

20 Dimes A Game has an OK reputation so far

Sounds good, might try it.
20 Dimes A Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 04:26 PM   #7
gts
Sons of Antartica

gts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattevans11
how old are we.........
you think saying the alphabet backwards is gonna help your skills. man o man the world has gone mad.

knowing the alphabet might benefit you later in life when you are old enough to drink and with that question you will proabbly be drinking quite often..... anyways. WTF!!!!!!!!!!!
it forces you to think and makes dribbling or the task at hand instinctual it has nothing to do with learning the alphabet...matter of fact it kinda helps if you already know the alphabet...

if a player or person can learn to think while playing and not have to concentrate on basic skills then they will be more successful... does peyton manning concentrate on how to hold a football or does he read defenses when going back to pass
gts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 04:31 PM   #8
mattevans11

mattevans11 is considered somewhat coolmattevans11 is considered somewhat coolmattevans11 is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by gts
it forces you to think and makes dribbling or the task at hand instinctual it has nothing to do with learning the alphabet...matter of fact it kinda helps if you already know the alphabet...

if a player or person can learn to think while playing and not have to concentrate on basic skills then they will be more successful... does peyton manning concentrate on how to hold a football or does he read defenses when going back to pass

this is too damn funny to me..... so what do you think payton did. said the alphabet backwards while taking the hike? dribbling is somehting that you jsut simply practice and it increases your handles. thinking has nothing to do with dribbling.... dribbling is like walking to me and i am jsut an average men's league player. the fact of sayingthe alphabet while you dribble is rediculous. all it is gonna do is give you a skill of saying the alphabet backwards... it will not make you a better basketball player.
Old 09-09-2007, 04:36 PM   #9
artificial

artificial is a pretty well-respected posterartificial is a pretty well-respected posterartificial is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
this is too damn funny to me..... so what do you think payton did. said the alphabet backwards while taking the hike? dribbling is somehting that you jsut simply practice and it increases your handles. thinking has nothing to do with dribbling.... dribbling is like walking to me and i am jsut an average men's league player. the fact of sayingthe alphabet while you dribble is rediculous. all it is gonna do is give you a skill of saying the alphabet backwards... it will not make you a better basketball player.
Ever heard of using your head while playing?
Old 09-09-2007, 04:36 PM   #10
Phar
Banned

Phar is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPhar is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPhar is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPhar is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPhar is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPhar is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPhar is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPhar is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Cool, I gotta try this. Thanks!
Phar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 04:38 PM   #11
gts
Sons of Antartica

gts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by artificial
Ever heard of using your head while playing?
obviously not that's why he is
Quote:
i am jsut an average men's league player
gts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 05:05 PM   #12
mattevans11

okay you use your head while playing........

i think do not even need to know how to read to play basketball. usuing your head is one thing but knowing the alphabet isnt going to help you. maybe you can think to urself...... D,C,B,A and that will let you know when there is an open player making a backdoor cut, but i believe that you will get more outta playing pickup games and working on using your head rather than trying to equate the alphabet to usuing your head on the court. go ahead and try it. just better usage for your time. if you practicing dribbling you should just dribble as much as you can so it becomes second nature.

and what does the fact that i call myself an average player have to do with anything. i am usully the best on my team so i am not worried about my skills but i also never had to try to get a leg up by doing a meaninless task. i was a three year starter in high school, so keep talking it up.
Old 09-09-2007, 05:16 PM   #13
artificial

Quote:
okay you use your head while playing........

i think do not even need to know how to read to play basketball. usuing your head is one thing but knowing the alphabet isnt going to help you. maybe you can think to urself...... D,C,B,A and that will let you know when there is an open player making a backdoor cut, but i believe that you will get more outta playing pickup games and working on using your head rather than trying to equate the alphabet to usuing your head on the court. go ahead and try it. just better usage for your time. if you practicing dribbling you should just dribble as much as you can so it becomes second nature.

and what does the fact that i call myself an average player have to do with anything. i am usully the best on my team so i am not worried about my skills but i also never had to try to get a leg up by doing a meaninless task. i was a three year starter in high school, so keep talking it up.
You can play out of your skill, true. You don't even have to know to read to play basketball, true. Kwame Brown is living proof of that, so I'll give you that.

But there's more to it. Basketball IQ is important for the game, just ask Stromile Swift (who in fact I'm not sure he can read, and is in the NBA). And no, I think the point isn't to be able to tell the alphabet backwards. But if you can't do that, you sure can't have offensive and defensive schemes -which are far more complex than the inverted alphabet- in your head while dribbling. So maybe this alphabet thing is a good exercise to get started. I don't know, I haven't tried it yet.

You mentioned Gary Payton. He was able to talk all the $hit he wanted and have offensive and defensive schemes in his head all while not losing a single bit of focus in his dribble. Pete Maravich used to tell he had in his mind at least 3 plays forward. Look further, I'm sure any great dribbler / passer can think a thousand different things without losing focus on their dribble. That's why this exercise sounded like a good idea to me.
Old 09-09-2007, 06:07 PM   #14
mattevans11

You mentioned Gary Payton. He was able to talk all the $hit he wanted and have offensive and defensive schemes in his head all while not losing a single bit of focus in his dribble. Pete Maravich used to tell he had in his mind at least 3 plays forward. Look further, I'm sure any great dribbler / passer can think a thousand different things without losing focus on their dribble. That's why this exercise sounded like a good idea to me.[/quote]

it was a reference of peyton manning from an earlier post. if you wanna try the excersize then do it....... i am jsut saying that NOBODY think of a dribble while they play unless they are a scrubby beginner. if you want to exercise your mind they there are much better ways than the alphabet. dribbling a basketball takes no brainpower regardless of the handles that you have. even a streetballer like hot sauce doesnt use his head to think about his dribble and that is hi ENTIRE game.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: