Page 1 of 19 123411 ... LastLast

Default United States Open of Tennis (U.S. Open) Official Thread

Opening ceremony is

Playing a bunch of R&B and Hip Hop with a bunch of middle aged white people in the stands like

Anyways, my picks to win it are Djoker and Serena. My darkhorses are Tsonga and Azarenka.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Default Re: United States Open of Tennis (U.S. Open) Official Thread

I'm pulling for Andy Murray to get the monkey off his back.

Well, I really shouldn't call Azarenka a 'darkhorse'... she is the #1 ranked player in the World.

Gooner | Heat Nation EnoughSaid's Avatar

Shiiit Fed is probably going to get this one as well. He had Djoker beat last year but Djoker went crazy at the end. Going to get his 18th major?!

Adbloock<3

Andy Roddick ftw.

o()xxx[{::::::::::::> SourPatchKids's Avatar

In Novak and Tsonga I place my trust.

yeah it's about time for murray .. wouldn't mind seeing him break out

lets go murray since nadal is out... dammit his injuries

Having Nadal out of the tourny for injuries again SEVERLY lowers my interest in this tournament. I wouldn't be particularly more happy or upset with any winner or loser on the mens draw. But i'd say i'm going for Murray but honestly expecting Fed or Djoker to pull it out and no-one else.

As for the women, i'm still going with Serena.

   

I'm a Djoker fan but If I had a choice I'd like to see Murray finally stroke that monkey, or whatever the phrase is. Would also be interesting if Fed won yet another major, because at a certain point he'd inch past Laver in my book as the greatest ever.

Anybody but Serena on the women's side. Anybody. To me it's laughable the idea that she'sbecome the greatest ever. Steffi Graf is still so far ahead of her IMO in majors and most other accomplishments. Matter of fact, would be cool if Venus could win it as a heart-warming comeback story of sorts.

USOPEN.ORG- awesome live online coverage. Even has PIP to watch multiple matches. Throw that on a video projector and you're golden!

Book 'em Dan'l

I'm a Sloane Stephens fan. rooting for her to make it big this year

Gooner | Heat Nation EnoughSaid's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gigantes
    I'm a Djoker fan but If I had a choice I'd like to see Murray finally stroke that monkey, or whatever the phrase is. Would also be interesting if Fed won yet another major, because at a certain point he'd inch past Laver in my book as the greatest ever.

Anybody but Serena on the women's side. Anybody. To me it's laughable the idea that she'sbecome the greatest ever. Steffi Graf is still so far ahead of her IMO in majors and most other accomplishments. Matter of fact, would be cool if Venus could win it as a heart-warming comeback story of sorts.

USOPEN.ORG- awesome live online coverage. Even has PIP to watch multiple matches. Throw that on a video projector and you're golden!
    Federer is already the GOAT.

Anyone just saw Pam Shriver slobbering all over Melo's nuts with LaLa right there next to him? All flirting with him and touching him and shit. LMAO.

Quote Originally Posted by gigantes

Nobody who even moderately follows the sport of tennis considers Serena Williams the greatest womens tennis player of all time. I don't think she'll ever be considered better than Graf or Navrtilova. Some would even argue that Henin-Herdenne was the better player but her career was pretty short lived.

As for the mens game, it's NOT debatable. Every fan, media member, and even a good chunk of the all-time greats including Mcenroe, Sampras, and even Rod Laver himself have come out and said that Roger's the greatest. There's no debate, question, or doubt about it.

   

dissenting opinions on laver being the greatest? well, okay... without looking anything up, here is what i remember when i last tried to compare fed, laver and the other tennis greats:

- no other player besides laver went apeshit and won all four slams in a single season, not once but twice.

- no other player dominated the masters and the majors like he did, first as a young scrub, and later, as an old man. his winning percentage was unreal.

- unlike laver, neither fed nor any other modern player was barred from playing the slams for his entire tennis peak, i.e. the five+ years of laver's prime.

- any argument about laver being 'weak on certain surfaces' is rubbish IMO. the man played every available surface in his time, including the new-fangled ones being developed, and dominated them all. you cannot ask more from any athlete in sports, now or in the future.

- laver dominates fed in total tournaments won, 170 or so against something. that's probably the most unambiguous way to measure success across the eras, especially with the way the slams were forbidden to top players for so long.

Q.E.D. -- the research shows that rod laver is probably the most accomplished player in tennis history by all significant measures. of course i didn't believe that at first- my original goal in studying tennis history was to find that pete sampras was better than roger federer. but much to my amazement, i discovered that laver was decisively better than either one.