Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Default Re: Why don't more players catch the ball instead of swatting it on defense?

Quote Originally Posted by Clippersfan86
    I'm not a 7 footer with elite athleticism and wingspan. Comparing apples to oranges asking an average Joe to go replicate what elite athletes can do. These guys have been playing basketball their entire lives too. Getting coached to read the offense. Me saying 1 a game was just a loose example and clearly unrealistic. Even one every 4 or 5 games though? Why isn't that realistic?
    Play against average joes on your level, around the same height, you still would see why. Blocking shots is NOT easy.

Clipper Nation Soldier Clippersfan86's Avatar

Default Re: Why don't more players catch the ball instead of swatting it on defense?

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke117
    So he's POOR at the most IMPORTANT DEFENSIVE RESPONSIBILITIES OF A BIG MAN...way to make my point for me, thank you.
    I agree with you! Good thing he's a rookie huh??

First off.. you can't do this in a video game that I'm aware of.. so stop acting like an ignorant tard with a stick up his ass. Secondly... let's just say one every couple games then? You're running way too hard with the details of my post when it was a general, vague question. I just said at least 1 a game as an idea, not something set in stone. Let's say one every few games then. Nonetheless why don't we see it more? Instead of berating me like a little di** when you don't know me.. how about you just give an opinion on the topic at hand. We have enough condescending pricks on ISH and don't need another.

I gave specific parameters to the idea of catch blocks such as... post players, inside the paint, great athleticism, great wingspans. It's not like I'm suggesting this on jumpshots etc.. or anything ridiculous. I think this can be done a lot more than players do it. Obviously if they skin the ball with their fingers it's not going to be something they can catch.. SMH.
    Let me just turn your first sentence into a link.
    First off.. you can't do this in a video game that I'm aware of.. so stop acting like an ignorant tard with a stick up his ass.

Yes, you said one a game as an idea. A very poorly thought out idea.
    No, I don't know you, but I have a pretty good idea that you have a terrible sense of proportion. Condescending prick huh? How about you stop whining and admit you made an overstatement. You know, like a grown up. We could use more grown-ups around here as well.

Again as to your evidence, see above about your sense of proportion. You quoting 25 examples. There are about 12000 blocks per year in the NBA. The fact that you are finding so few proves my point not yours.

Also I see that DJ is DeAndre Jordan, not Mbenga, my point still holds though.

Quote Originally Posted by zay_24
    Play against average joes on your level, around the same height, you still would see why. Blocking shots is NOT easy.
    Thing is these guys aren't equals. You honestly think the slashing guards and wing players.. or even undersized bigs are equal to DJ, McGee, Dwight Howard and Bynum? NO WAY. These guys have top 20 all time NBA wingspans... great vertical leaps and have been blocking shots at a high level since junior high probably. Blocked shots rarely happen on the perimeter. They happen in the post on post moves and slashes to the rim.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Smoke117's Avatar

I agree with you! Good thing he's a rookie huh??
    Players that become anything significant defensively already have those instincts coming into the league. Blake Griffin will never have more then an average impact defensively and that's the main reason he will never touch someone like Duncan and KG. He will never be as good offensively as Dirk, Mchale, Barkley, or Malone. You need to push this guys nuts off your face every once and awhile and breathe in the fresh air.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinNYC
    Let me just turn your first sentence into a link.
    First off.. you can't do this in a video game that I'm aware of.. so stop acting like an ignorant tard with a stick up his ass.

Yes, you said one a game as an idea. A very poorly thought out idea.
    No, I don't know you, but I have a pretty good idea that you have a terrible sense of proportion. Condescending prick huh? How about you stop whining and admit you made an overstatement. You know, like a grown up. We could use more grown-ups around here as well.

Again as to your evidence, see above about your sense of proportion. You quoting 25 examples. There are about 12000 blocks per year in the NBA. The fact that you are finding so few proves my point not yours.

Also I see that DJ is DeAndre Jordan, not Mbenga, my point still holds though.
    I just don't think you contributed anything to this thread. Instead of answering the question... you made a point of essentially how unrealistic and stupid my post is. I already admitted my example was vague and implied it may of been a stretch. I didn't need a full blown mathematical breakdown buddy. You were condescending from the first sentence even though you weren't under fire. Based on how you reacted defensively to my OP I'd think I was talking to Dwight himself.

Players that become anything significant defensively already have those instincts coming into the league. Blake Griffin will never have more then an average impact defensively and that's the main reason he will never touch someone like Duncan and KG. He will never be as good offensively as Dirk, Mchale, Barkley, or Malone. You need to push this guys nuts off your face every once and awhile and breathe in the fresh air.
    I agree again! See we have a lot in common. Blake will likely be an average or slightly above average defender at best. A positional impact defender like Karl Malone and never a shotblocker. What does that mean? Your out of place trolling of Blake is cute. As for how good he will be... we don't know that. He put up 22.5, 12 and 4 while being a lot more raw than any of the guys you listed. None of those guys besides Duncan put up Blake's stats until what their 3rd seasons?

McHale didn't put up 20 ppg until his 6th season when he was 28 . His career best was 26 ppg and dropped off bigtime to 22 the next season. Sure Blake won't be as polished as him probably but the only player he probably CAN'T surpass offensively is Malone and maybe Barkley. Why are you so caught up on Blake though in a thread about catching blocked shots???

Quote Originally Posted by zay_24
    The main reason this type of block doesn't happen more often, is most of the time when you leave your feet you don't have enough info to think this type of block is possible. Mostly it's a one-handed snatch. Well if you mess up the timing of that you could easily miss the block or mess up the catch and give the ball right back.

Even on the examples you give, once you're moving your arm forward you're going to swat it, not grab it. To do it correctly you have to have your arm move backwards in the direction of the balls momemtum, this slows it down and makes it catchable. Sometimes you time it right you could do it with your arm straight up. That usually requires perfect timing. The one time I ever did a catch block (one hand on and then swung my other hand around and took it off his hand) I had no idea it possible on the way up. It was aslo against a player new to basketball A. thought I was giving him the lane. B laid the ball right out in the open.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinNYC
    The main reason this type of block doesn't happen more often, is most of the time when you leave your feet you don't have enough info to think this type of block is possible. Mostly it's a one-handed snatch. Well if you mess up the timing of that you could easily miss the block or mess up the catch and give the ball right back.

Even on the examples you give, once you're moving your arm forward you're going to swat it, not grab it. To do it correctly you have to have your arm move backwards in the direction of the balls momemtum, this slows it down and makes it catchable. Sometimes you time it right you could do it with your arm straight up. That usually requires perfect timing. The one time I ever did a catch block (one hand on and then swung my other hand around and took it off his hand) I had no idea it possible on the way up. It was aslo against a player new to basketball A. thought I was giving him the lane. B laid the ball right out in the open.
    It's no different than an NFL player catching a football traveling at much greater speeds with 1 hand. In fact.. that's a hell of a lot harder than what I'm suggesting. How coordinated do you really have to be? Players intercept passes all the time. This is A LOT more possible than you guys are making it sound. Players just have the wrong mindset.

If an NFL player can soar off balance... 3 feet into the air... and make a 1 handed grab ala Randy Moss... while the ball is traveling 70 miles per hour... why can't an NBA player as gifted as the ones I specified.. catch a bigger object (easier to target) traveling MUCH slower... once in a while? If Blake Griffin can catch 50 foot alley oop bullet passes... Dwight has the coordination to block more shots by grabbing them. This isn't some complex formula.
    Last edited by Clippersfan86; 09-16-2011 at 06:23 PM.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Smoke117's Avatar

I agree again! See we have a lot in common. Blake will likely be an average or slightly above average defender at best. A positional impact defender like Karl Malone and never a shotblocker. What does that mean? Your out of place trolling of Blake is cute. As for how good he will be... we don't know that. He put up 22.5, 12 and 4 while being a lot more raw than any of the guys you listed. None of those guys besides Duncan put up Blake's stats until what their 3rd seasons?

McHale didn't put up 20 ppg until his 6th season when he was 28 . His career best was 26 ppg and dropped off bigtime to 22 the next season. Sure Blake won't be as polished as him probably but the only player he probably CAN'T surpass offensively is Malone and maybe Barkley. Why are you so caught up on Blake though in a thread about catching blocked shots???
    Because everything you say is idiotic and pointless. Even this thread...why don't players catch the ball instead of swatting it away...I don't know maybe because that's that not god damn easy? You think it has never come across players minds to try to catch the ball instead of swat it away? Also don't don't compare future Blake Griffin's defense to Karl Malone's please...that's insulting to Karl. Maybe try Larry Johnson as that would be more appropriate

A lot of it has to to with positioning and timing (obviously). Just off my personal experience, trying to grab the ball midair kind of throws you off latterly and often feels like you're giving the offensive player better positioning to blow by you. Blocking a shot (or in the 'normal stance' of getting ready to contest it) I often feel like I can recover quicker than if I were to go up with both hands.

Might not be why more players don't 'catch the ball' but it's something in my subconscious when I'm playing defense. Angles are definitely vital, see here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJriDpfgQNs
    Last edited by catch24; 09-16-2011 at 06:33 PM.

Because everything you say is idiotic and pointless. Even this thread...why don't players catch the ball instead of swatting it away...I don't know maybe because that's that not god damn easy? You think it has never come across players minds to try to catch the ball instead of swat it away? Also don't don't compare future Blake Griffin's defense to Karl Malone's please...that's insulting to Karl. Maybe try Larry Johnson as that would be more appropriate
    The beauty of sports is the gamble. You say Larry Johnson.. I saw Malone.. in 10 years we can talk about it. Until then.. your negative opinions don't mean a thing to me. BTW if this was so idiotic.. why has it been a repeated basketball topic among writers, forums and all sorts of fans on controlled blocks/catches vs swats. Even one of the contributors to this thread.. posted an article on it.

If it's something you find stupid why even post in here and just troll me? I don't care if you like me or not... but you don't think it's a bit pointless to post in here with the attitude you have? PM me if you just want to argue for the hell of it. I'll entertain it.

Quote Originally Posted by catch24
    A lot of it has to to with positioning and timing (obviously). Just off my personal experience, trying to grab the ball midair kind of throws you off latterly and often feels like you're giving the offensive player better positioning to blow by you. Blocking a shot (or in the stance of getting ready to contest it) I often feel like I can recover quicker than if I were to go up with both hands.

Might not be why more players don't 'catch the ball' but it's something in my subconscious when I'm playing defense. Angles are definitely vital, see here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJriDpfgQNs
    This is definitely part of it. I agree you're more off balance if you catch the ball rather than just a quick swat and recovery. I just think it's worth the risk here and there. Besides intimidation.... swatting shots has 0 purpose. I have to give DeAndre and McGee props because this year after Flip and Vinny talked to them about controlling blocked shots, both got noticeably better. DJ started swatting to teammates instead of out of bounds and McGee started blocking shots softer to recover the ball.. and going for catch blocks. Obviously in some situations like blocks from behind you can't really control it.

This is definitely part of it. I agree you're more off balance if you catch the ball rather than just a quick swat and recovery. I just think it's worth the risk here and there. Besides intimidation.... swatting shots has 0 purpose. I have to give DeAndre and McGee props because this year after Flip and Vinny talked to them about controlling blocked shots, both got noticeably better. DJ started swatting to teammates instead of out of bounds and McGee started blocking shots softer to recover the ball.. and going for catch blocks. Obviously in some situations like blocks from behind you can't really control it.
    Well, blocking shots to your teammates and doing it with both hands are two different things. It honestly just depends on your positioning. You generally see more two-hand stuffs on fast breaks than you do in the half court where players take more time to operate (and have more time to think with/without the basketball).

Keeping the ball in bounds is the best option though. I've watched a lot of Clipper games, and you're right, the guy does have a knack for keeping them in-bounds. Good catch. Like I said though.... going up with two hands is strictly situational; more often than not you're going to feel uncoordinated doing so, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by DuMa
    the first time is fine. sends a nice message to the other team and the ball shooter.
    Idk someone catching my shoot from mid-air would send more of a message to me then throwing it out of bounds.

the reason is that it is extremely difficult to do.