Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops



Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2019, 01:57 PM   #31
Prometheus
for your health
 
Prometheus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 7,814
Default Re: What music do you guys have on repeat these days?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derka
The new Tool record, Fear Inoculum, came out Aug. 30th and I've listened to that at least once a day.

It's a strange album. I'm still warming up to it.

I almost feel like Maynard is a little detached from the rest of the band.

It's interesting especially because his influence seemed disproportionately large on 10,000 Days... with the several songs about the death of his mother, and his lyrics/vocals being so central to some of the most memorable tracks (Vicarious and Right in Two come to mind).

But on Fear Inoculum, it seems like his input is an afterthought. I hesitate to say this, but he's kind of weak on the album to me. The instrumentation is so dense, moreso than on their other albums. The transitions and odd counts are so relentless... each song ends and I can barely remember what I heard.

IMO:
Lateralus > Undertow > Ænema > Fear Inoculum > 10,000 Days
Prometheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 02:45 PM   #32
TheMan
Repping mis Mexicanas!
 
TheMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: amongst wackos
Posts: 13,783
Default Re: What music do you guys have on repeat these days?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prometheus
It's a strange album. I'm still warming up to it.

I almost feel like Maynard is a little detached from the rest of the band.

It's interesting especially because his influence seemed disproportionately large on 10,000 Days... with the several songs about the death of his mother, and his lyrics/vocals being so central to some of the most memorable tracks (Vicarious and Right in Two come to mind).

But on Fear Inoculum, it seems like his input is an afterthought. I hesitate to say this, but he's kind of weak on the album to me. The instrumentation is so dense, moreso than on their other albums. The transitions and odd counts are so relentless... each song ends and I can barely remember what I heard.

IMO:
Lateralus > Undertow > Ænema > Fear Inoculum > 10,000 Days
Lol, my absolute fave Tool (album?) is 10,000 Days, then Lateralus, Ænema and lastly Undertow.

Gotta check out FI
TheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 03:00 PM   #33
TheMan
Repping mis Mexicanas!
 
TheMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: amongst wackos
Posts: 13,783
Default Re: What music do you guys have on repeat these days?

Just listened to Fear Inoculum, badass song. Gotta listen to it more but so far I like what I hear. Jones guitar tone sounds a bit like the tone he used on Ænema.
TheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 03:19 PM   #34
Derka
Wicked F*ckin Retahded
 
Derka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Cape Cod, MA
Posts: 9,560
Default Re: What music do you guys have on repeat these days?

For me right now, after several listens...and I'll catch hell for this.

Lateralus > Aenima > Fear Inoculum > Undertow > 10,000 Days

Lateralus is, for me, one of the most perfect albums of my lifetime. Aenima still holds up. FI comes above UT for me because 15 minutes of UT is Disgustipated, one of the most useless 15 minute songs ever created, and I say that as someone who got into Tool because of UT.

I'm enjoying a little less of Maynard's influence on the melodies, if I'm being totally honest. Hearing Danny (the god), Adam and Justin really just let loose is absolutely gratifying to hear. Every song except FI is in 7 but there's still a groove that gets your head nodding; making music in odd time signatures that is still catchy is not an easy thing to do. These songs get long but they don't meander into weird experimental territory like they did with 10,000 Days with just lots of droning and ambient noise.

One point of criticism on my part: the first 70 minutes of the record all follow the same tempo. If you haven't given the record several listens, you'd be hard pressed to know where one song ends and another begins. But I forgive this when the record gets to Chocolate Chip Trip and 7empest, which I think is one of the best songs they've ever written.
Derka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 05:52 PM   #35
Prometheus
for your health
 
Prometheus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 7,814
Default Re: What music do you guys have on repeat these days?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derka
For me right now, after several listens...and I'll catch hell for this.

Lateralus > Aenima > Fear Inoculum > Undertow > 10,000 Days

Lateralus is, for me, one of the most perfect albums of my lifetime. Aenima still holds up. FI comes above UT for me because 15 minutes of UT is Disgustipated, one of the most useless 15 minute songs ever created, and I say that as someone who got into Tool because of UT.

I'm enjoying a little less of Maynard's influence on the melodies, if I'm being totally honest. Hearing Danny (the god), Adam and Justin really just let loose is absolutely gratifying to hear. Every song except FI is in 7 but there's still a groove that gets your head nodding; making music in odd time signatures that is still catchy is not an easy thing to do. These songs get long but they don't meander into weird experimental territory like they did with 10,000 Days with just lots of droning and ambient noise.

One point of criticism on my part: the first 70 minutes of the record all follow the same tempo. If you haven't given the record several listens, you'd be hard pressed to know where one song ends and another begins. But I forgive this when the record gets to Chocolate Chip Trip and 7empest, which I think is one of the best songs they've ever written.

Dude, you could remove Disgustipated then and Undertow would still be a masterpiece.

No catching hell though. I prefer your ranking to TheMan's.

Also - I hadn't noticed that they were all in 7... are you sure? I know at least part of Descending is actually 7-7-7-9 in a four-measure cycle. They definitely went out of their way to make it a theme though. All the heptagrams in the liner notes are just confirmation.
Prometheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 05:54 PM   #36
Prometheus
for your health
 
Prometheus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 7,814
Default Re: What music do you guys have on repeat these days?

Favorite Tool song of all time? For me it's The Grudge.
Prometheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 08:24 PM   #37
fsvr54
Bitch Hands
 
fsvr54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 3,861
Default Re: What music do you guys have on repeat these days?

A
Quote:
Originally Posted by andgar923
Can’t get into Gibbs no matter how hard I try

Listen to his two albums with madlib over anything else. They are by far the best things he's done and up the in the annals of hip.hop classic albums.

Bandana is so good that it reinvigorated me as a man. Like, just a complete landmark release in music history. Icouldn't listen to anything else for at least 3 weeks.

Expectations are a bitch though, just come in with an open mind.

Him and Benny were in the studio recently, so expect some complete fire from them soon.

Last edited by fsvr54 : 09-05-2019 at 08:27 PM.
fsvr54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 04:08 AM   #38
Celtics 1825
IT'S LIT!
 
Celtics 1825's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 3,147
Default Re: What music do you guys have on repeat these days?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prometheus
Favorite Tool song of all time? For me it's The Grudge.
Forty Six & 2 is my shit
Celtics 1825 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 06:10 AM   #39
ZenMaster
Whap'em
 
ZenMaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 6,189
Default Re: What music do you guys have on repeat these days?

Once Upon A Time In Hollywood soundtrack
ZenMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 08:56 AM   #40
Derka
Wicked F*ckin Retahded
 
Derka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Cape Cod, MA
Posts: 9,560
Default Re: What music do you guys have on repeat these days?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prometheus
Dude, you could remove Disgustipated then and Undertow would still be a masterpiece.

No catching hell though. I prefer your ranking to TheMan's.

Also - I hadn't noticed that they were all in 7... are you sure? I know at least part of Descending is actually 7-7-7-9 in a four-measure cycle. They definitely went out of their way to make it a theme though. All the heptagrams in the liner notes are just confirmation.
I hear you. For me, I take the albums as a whole and say “How many of these songs would I skip?” UT and 10k are the only ones that fit that criteria for me. But I will forever be indebted to Swamp Song because that was the song that brought me in. I copied that cassette from my cousin and just spent hours wailing away at my drum pad trying to figure it all out.

They’re not all in 7, no...didn’t mean to infer that. But there’s a lot of it on this one and it contributes to the sameness of the tempo, I think. An interview with Danny I listened to mentioned that one of their ideas for this record was just a single 85-minute long song. I wonder if that idea contributed to this some.

Also, favorite tool song: toss up between Eulogy and Lateralus.
Derka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 12:44 PM   #41
RRR3
L3gacy
 
RRR3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Yes
Posts: 26,835
Default Re: What music do you guys have on repeat these days?

I have been listening to Welcome to Planet Motherfucker by White Zombie a lot.
RRR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 11:31 AM   #42
72-10
Jerry West
 
72-10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 3,387
Default Re: What music do you guys have on repeat these days?

Not exactly on repeat, but Heart Full of Soul by The Yardbirds has one of the best riffs I've heard - what an underrated group.
72-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:




Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:12 AM.






NBA BASKETBALL FORUM KEY LINKS:

InsideHoops.com Home

NBA Rumors

NBA Daily Roundup

NBA Scores

NBA Stats

NBA Videos

NBA Free Agents

Fantasy Basketball

Basketball Sneakers

Search Site

STAY CONNECTED
Twitter
Facebook
Instagram
YouTube










Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy