Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

Default Re: US gun related murder rates compared to other countries

you can have a shot gun in australia btw.
    I am currently a resident of that country and own one legally, contrary to that article.

Quote Originally Posted by Borat
    You honestly have no idea what you are talking about
    Thanks for your thoughtful analysis, Borat.

Quote Originally Posted by miller-time
    We have a military and an army reserve. They are what protect us against outside threats. We aren't defenceless.
    and I'd back the australian SAS against ANY other special forces team in the world.
    And I'm not alone in that

Quote Originally Posted by Graviton
    Thanks for your thoughtful analysis, Borat.

its all the post deserved

Quote Originally Posted by miller-time
    We have a military and an army reserve. They are what protect us against outside threats. We aren't defenceless.
    How many? How well trained and equipped? If that force falls, what are the citizens gonna do?

Isn't there a big hunting culture in Australia? Some must have sniper rifles.

Da Mavs

How many? How well trained and equipped? If that force falls, what are the citizens gonna do?

So you mean to tell me, that if a country like the USA's military collapsed trying to protect its borders from foreigners...their civilians and their guns could do anything?

Ever heard of bombs, airplanes, tanks, nukes, grenades, trained military professionals?

This is something that applied in 1776, not anymore though.

Quote Originally Posted by Borat
    you can have a shot gun in australia btw.
    I am currently a resident of that country and own one legally, contrary to that article.
    What about handguns?

Quote Originally Posted by D-Rose
    So you mean to tell me, that if a country like the USA's military collapsed trying to protect its borders from foreigners...their civilians and their guns could do anything?

Ever heard of bombs, airplanes, tanks, nukes, grenades, trained military professionals?

This is something that applied in 1776, not anymore though.
    Not America, but Australia. They don't have our equipment. They could use our laws more than us lol, a big island with no border connection with any other nation and a small population with only even smaller armed personnel?

If WW3 happened, they would be an easy target.

Da Mavs

Not America, but Australia. They don't have our equipment. They could use our laws more than us lol, a big island with no border connection with any other nation and a small population with only even smaller armed personnel?

Are you serious right now?

Australia has a strong navy, air force, and army. They have many allies around the world that would obviously back them up if someone even began to deny their sovereignty and engage their military in combat.

I mean, if you think that a country could take down their entire military, why the hell do you think armed civilians are going to be able to defend themselves against the same force?

wtf...
    as if civilians owning arms will do a thing. delusional gun enthusiast thinks his gun will help him defend himself if the government army comes or another nation attacks him with a bomb

I'd like to see what help your gun brings when a swat team comes busting down your door

NBA sixth man of the year miller-time's Avatar

If the force falls we would do what every other country would we would all be wiped out. You are living in a delusion if you think handguns and shotguns can stop an invading force that already wiped out your standing and reserve armies. There is a reason insurgents have their hands on RPGs and heavy weapons (which are also illegal to US civilians).

Regionally (south-east Asia) our military equipment is good, but it wouldn't be anything compared to places like Britain or China or the US obviously. If another world war happened we would be able to bolster up pretty quickly I'd imagine (technologically and financially) but at the moment we don't really have much threat or need here - we are fairly isolated.

I'm not sure how popular hunting is really, I live in the city. There is a pretty big cultural divide between city life and country life. I'd assume hunting is pretty popular in the country, but a lot of it would be because it is necessary (to keep down numbers of pests and invasive species). But the weapons they have would be 303s and shotguns. Nothing like AR-15s or anything.
    Last edited by miller-time; 12-17-2012 at 01:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by D-Rose
    Are you serious right now?

Australia has a strong navy, air force, and army. They have many allies around the world that would obviously back them up if someone even began to deny their sovereignty and engage their military in combat.

I mean, if you think that a country could take down their entire military, why the hell do you think armed civilians are going to be able to defend themselves against the same force?
    They could deter the invaders if all of them fought together, instead of the small portion. It's not like they will sit back and watch while their military was picked apart. It would be harder to take over the population. Didn't you see Red Dawn man?

Da Mavs

They could deter the invaders if all of them fought together, instead of the small portion. It's not like they will sit back and watch while their military was picked apart. It would be harder to take over the population. Didn't you see Red Dawn man?
    Wow, okay I'm half convinced you're trolling because you're using a hollywood flick as a source.

@Miller-time

Thanks for the informative response, I now know more about Australia.

Is it just me or the guys continuing to lobby for guns here on ISH the past 2 days just... to be straightforward, quite.. unintelligent? I mean the counterarguments and the examples seem like they come from middle school kids. I guess it's a true reflection of the situation in U.S. afterall. The gun enthusiasts do think like them, and no matter how much you try to convince them, they'll come back with totally wack and out-of-world counterarguments.