Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 05-20-2008, 04:02 PM   #1
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

Default We need to have a different mindset than the hornets

As I was watching the whole series of San Antonio vs New Orleans Hornets, I noticed a big attitude difference between both teams.

I noticed that at New Orleans, they played with a must win attitude the whole 48 minutes for every home game.....that was a mistake. They only played to keep their home court advantage expecting to take it easily in game 7 but they forgot one very important thing...Its the San Antonio spurs.

The Hornets thought that if they played to only win at home and keep their home court against San Antonio, they would advance with no problems. Thats where the inexperience of new orleans had shown.

If we play only to keep our home court advantage....if we play and allow these spurs to force a game 7, San Antonio will have the upper edge in a sense that they know what to do in game 7.

San Antonio snuck up on new orleans and made NOH think "we got this" when in reality, San Antonio did what they were supposed to and treat the road wins like a must win game.

This is the mindset lakers need to maintain if they expect to advance to the finals. If we are fortunate enough to go up 2-0 against this tough spurs team, we need to win game 3 and go up 3-0 to lose some hope for San Antonio.

Every game is a must win this series...even if we have to try and sweep them, we can't let SA hang around the way NOH did and expect to keep home court!
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 04:21 PM   #2
kobeFANNER
Banned

Default Re: We need to have a different mindset than the hornets

I think we'll win on the road.
kobeFANNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 05:07 PM   #3
gts
shhhhhhh

lets see the lakers won two in denver, they closed the series in 6 games in utah and you're still worried about their mindset? lol

they have the right minset bro, phil, kobe and fisher won't let them forget the importance of winning on the road
gts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 05:32 PM   #4
Fedor - Laker
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerfreak
As I was watching the whole series of San Antonio vs New Orleans Hornets, I noticed a big attitude difference between both teams.

I noticed that at New Orleans, they played with a must win attitude the whole 48 minutes for every home game.....that was a mistake. They only played to keep their home court advantage expecting to take it easily in game 7 but they forgot one very important thing...Its the San Antonio spurs.

The Hornets thought that if they played to only win at home and keep their home court against San Antonio, they would advance with no problems. Thats where the inexperience of new orleans had shown.

If we play only to keep our home court advantage....if we play and allow these spurs to force a game 7, San Antonio will have the upper edge in a sense that they know what to do in game 7.

San Antonio snuck up on new orleans and made NOH think "we got this" when in reality, San Antonio did what they were supposed to and treat the road wins like a must win game.

This is the mindset lakers need to maintain if they expect to advance to the finals. If we are fortunate enough to go up 2-0 against this tough spurs team, we need to win game 3 and go up 3-0 to lose some hope for San Antonio.

Every game is a must win this series...even if we have to try and sweep them, we can't let SA hang around the way NOH did and expect to keep home court!

Very true. But you have to also keep in mind that, no one on the Hornets had 2nd round play off experience besides Peja and that one other dude.
We'll take care of ourselves.
Fedor - Laker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 05:44 PM   #5
SoCalMike
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Pjax will never let them forget that point...whether or not they can execute against a seasoned Spurs team is another story.

SoCalMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 07:32 PM   #6
hotsizzle
Superstar

No Phil Jackson coached team will ever have that mindset. I'm pretty sure everyone on the team knows that you actually need to elevate your game on the road
hotsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 07:35 PM   #7
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gts
lets see the lakers won two in denver, they closed the series in 6 games in utah and you're still worried about their mindset? lol

they have the right minset bro, phil, kobe and fisher won't let them forget the importance of winning on the road

Oh no I agree with you.

The point I was making was that NOH lost because they looked at it as "San Antonio is really good, so to beat them we need to win at home".

Im saying basically that we need to maintain that same mindset. That San Antonio is just another team we want to eliminate rather than "oh my gosh, the defending champions are coming over".

lol come on gts, im not stupid now am i? How can I underestimate the power of Zen, Kobe, Fish, and the big hearts of all the players on the lakers who want to win.
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 08:00 PM   #8
SCV42
Buck Foston

LA has more playoff experience than those Hornets...especially against those Bleepin' spurs.

Here's the way I see it:

game1-LA
game2-LA
game3-San Antonio
game4-San Antonio
game5-LA (dagger-time!)
game6-LA

Just like the Utah series, I suppose. I do think if we stumble at home, it will be easier to get homecourt back vs. San Antonio than it would have been against Utah.

Be ready, Lakers!
SCV42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 12:46 AM   #9
bleedinpurpleTwo
Another Laker Dynasty?

I agree with Lakerfreak.
San Antonion knows, coming in to this series, that the MUST win a game in LA.
LA should take the attitude that THEY must win on the road.
bleedinpurpleTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: