Page 11 of 153 FirstFirst ... 8910111213142161111 ... LastLast

I was really hoping for you guys to win so we can give you your first loss...

cant wait for saturday...good luck...be ready for a high scoring game

Decent playground baller ThaKing's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheGame414
    Frazier sprained his ankle on Saturday night. Apparently, Weber said if it wasn't Maryland, he would've sat tonight. He looked slow, and so did Jamar; neither one of them is healthy.

And once again, I must reiterate my hatred for Rich McBride.

This was the first game we truly missed Brian Randle, because he's the only guy we have that matches the athleticism of the forwards of a Maryland or Arizona. There aren't many 6'8" guys in the country, period, that match that type of athleticism, but Randle's one of them. I know Ebekwe was out for them as well, so it's not really an excuse.

We're shorthanded with Randle out and Frazier and Jamar banged up, but we just played poorly and didn't hit shots. Maryland's a terrific team, that Vasquez kid is a stud.

Can't complain about our frontcourt, though; great job Carter and Carlwell in the first half, and Pruitt and Brock (who I still consider a forward more than a guard, even at 6'5") in the second half.

Easy there big fella, I wouldn't consider them terrific. A marginal top 25 team, isn't usually terrific.

NBA rookie of the year IlliniFan's Avatar

Tough loss. I now understand why you guys hate Mcbride. I really used to like him. But when I saw his effort thourghout most of the game, it made me question his passion. What really pushed me over the edge was that STUPID pass to Frazier that was intercepted by Vasquez and taken in for a lay up. He was standing there waiting for it!!! I now also hate Mcbride.

NJ Net Fan For Life. wang4three's Avatar

The guys in my section were chanting "*******" but it didn't really catch on. Rich just disappoints rather than angers me. I just really used to root for him and think he was brimming with talent and ability. Just now...he just doesn't care, and is turning to KVH all over again. But worse, he isn't choking KVH style, just not caring.

NBA rookie of the year IlliniFan's Avatar

Right now, there's a chance that Chester Frazier and Jamar Smith won't play against Arizona..
    Last edited by IlliniFan; 12-01-2006 at 11:19 PM.

NJ Net Fan For Life. wang4three's Avatar

Just great...

ahh illinois off to a great start...not looking good for u of a

its pissing me off their is so many illinois fans in phx

shakur is making dumb mistakes like usual

Decent college freshman TheGame414's Avatar

I hate complaining about officiating, but Illinois is getting absolutely hosed tonight. Warren Carter was just hammered twice on that last play.

And then the official STAYS IN OUR HUDDLE INSTEAD OF WALKING AWAY, after T'ing up Bruce. This is the biggest screwjob since Bret Hart v. Shawn Michaels at the Survivor Series in 1997.

If we win this game, with our two best players injured and the rest of our players being taken out of the game by awful officiating, it will go down as one of the most impressive regular season wins in Illinois history, all things considered.

Quote Originally Posted by statman32
    ahh illinois off to a great start...not looking good for u of a

its pissing me off their is so many illinois fans in phx

shakur is making dumb mistakes like usual
    I'm told by a friend that lives out there that there are a lot of Illinois fans in Arizona, for some reason.

Easy there big fella, I wouldn't consider them terrific. A marginal top 25 team, isn't usually terrific.
    I don't care what the rankings say. They're one of the best basketball teams I've seen so far this year.

Hell of an effort, but this hurts 10 times more than the Maryland game. I can deal with getting beat; I have a hard time dealing with getting cheated the way we did today.

In no way do I mean to disrespect Arizona, who played very well after falling down 16; they started attacking the basket, and they're as loaded offensively as anyone.

But I'm not sold on them yet as a national title contender. They've really gotta start playing defense.
    Last edited by TheGame414; 12-02-2006 at 08:42 PM.

Dunking on everybody in the park

Quote Originally Posted by TheGame414
    I'm told by a friend that lives out there that there are a lot of Illinois fans in Arizona, for some reason.
    Lots of Chicagoans retire to the desert. You see them when the Cubs are in town, as well.

Anyway, typical performance by the Whinin' Illini--hands in the cookie jar on every play, "who, me?" when the whistle blows. Apparently, nobody told Bruce Weber that, if you're playing short-handed and you foul every time down, the calls will eventually add up.

The Warren Carter play, he fouled out running over Brielmaier on his way to the basket, and the refs politely declined to make the obvious call. For Weber to even open his mouth after such an enormous gift...the two foul shots barely brought the Cats even after that foul gave Illinois a free layup. I'm sure the official regretted giving Weber only the one technical foul.

A win's a win, I guess. Maybe next game Zona will be ready to play at tip-off.

Things that are funny about that post:

1. Arizona fans calling anyone else whiners. Without exaggeration, Lute Olsen is the biggest whiner in sports. I'd punch him in the face if given the chance. He exploited his wife's death to get sympathy for his team five years ago, which makes him a bastard in my eyes.

2. That guy thinking the game was evenly called.

3. If the official would've given Weber a second T, it would be because he stayed in the Illinois huddle after the fact. Weber showed class by walking away from it, because that was one of the most unprofessional things I've ever seen a referee do.

4. The "running over" of the nameless white guy you were talking about was a block; even Bilas and Raftery were going nuts about Carter getting fouled twice without it getting called.

Again, I don't complain about refereeing, by rule; but there are exceptions to every rule. This is only the third time in my life that I've felt piss-poor refereeing has cost Illinois a game: the first was against Michigan in football in 2000, the second was against Washington in the 2nd round of the '06 tourney, and the third was today. It was so absurd, it'd be funny if it wasn't so sad.

And I'm sure Weber realized the calls will add up. However, no basketball game has ever been played when one team legitimately committed three times as many fouls as the other team. That's only the second technical he's ever got at Illinois, I believe, so he got it for good reason. That being, he was right.

You're confusing "hand in the cookie jar" with actually playing defense, something foreign to Arizona in recent years.

the refs were pretty bad but illinois was playing aggresive d all game which led to alot of the fouls...that one call was really bad i admit but weber really shouldnt have ran on the floor...i later saw him on the floor on another play...but anyways refs were bad but illinois didnt help with their overly aggresive d. overall illinois impressed me and uof a showed heart coming back

[QUOTE][He exploited his wife's death to get sympathy for his team five years ago, which makes him a bastard in my eyes.
    /QUOTE]

NOW i have a BIG problem with this statement...i really would like to know how you say he exploited his wifes death...his wife was a HUGE part of the arizona basketball program...she helped console players after dealing with lute and talked to parents on recruiting trips...EVERY single player has said how important she was in their lives

I dont see how he exploited her death...he loved her a lot and bascially has a whole book that has some basketball info in it but is based on their life together...Its a love story

please explain yourself

Her being a huge part of the program doesn't preclude him from exploiting her death. I don't mean that to say he wasn't grief-stricken that she was gone or anything like that. I'm quite sure he was. And in fairness, I'm probably still a little pissed off that the sympathy for Lute indirectly led to the 169 fouls called against Illinois in the Elite Eight in 2001. That, and his whining and crying about how physically Illinois played before that game. Lute, like I've said before, it's called defense. Basketball is a contact sport, no matter how much you've come to believe it isn't.

I'm not saying he did it consciously. Maybe it's just because he always seems so insincere to me, but throughout all of the coverage of it, when Arizona went from underachieving loafers to media charity case, Lute struck me as entirely disingenuous throughout all of it that season.

You're right about Weber, though. He, like many others, vastly exceeds his bounds of the coaching box. He deserved his technical, but he was also right to be complaining. He probably could've picked a better time to do so, considering we'd just scored and cut the lead to 2, but Warren Carter had just been hammered twice on one play, so I can't really blame Bruce.

And Arizona fans, again, don't get me wrong. In no way does my dislike for Lute make me think any less of you guys. That's a terrific lot of talent that could win a national title if they start defending better. I just wish we would've had our best two players on the floor and been able to give you guys a better game.