Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Video Games Forum

Video Games Forum Video game forum - video games message board

Old 08-23-2008, 11:32 AM   #1
embersyc
Lurker

Default The rebirth of PC gaming.

PC gaming is about to enter a new age of glory. Check out the releases coming out in next couple months:

September 7: Spore
September 16: Crysis Warhead
September 16: Warhammer Online
October 21: Farcry 2
October 28: Red Alert 3
October 28: Fallout 3
November 11: Call of Duty 5
November 18: Grand Theft Auto 4
November 18: Prince of Persia

Can't wait personally.
embersyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 12:11 PM   #2
Heretik32
Myrrh

Default Re: The rebirth of PC gaming.

I'm with you on Spore and WAR. Can't wait for those two.

As for Crysis... are you serious? Crysis disappointed me to no end.
Heretik32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 01:27 PM   #3
kaiteng
CONGRATS MAN XD

Only Spore is interesting enough. The rest is the same old sh!t that doesn't deserve to be called "the rebirth" at all......
kaiteng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 02:01 PM   #4
ALaz502
I airball my layups

Quote:
Originally Posted by embersyc
PC gaming is about to enter a new age of glory. Check out the releases coming out in next couple months:

September 7: Spore
September 16: Crysis Warhead
September 16: Warhammer Online
October 21: Farcry 2
October 28: Red Alert 3
October 28: Fallout 3
November 11: Call of Duty 5
November 18: Grand Theft Auto 4
November 18: Prince of Persia

Can't wait personally.
Coming out, or are already out for consoles.
ALaz502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 02:58 PM   #5
Mathius
NBA sixth man of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALaz502
Coming out, or are already out for consoles.

That's what I was going to say. PC gaming doesn't need a "rebirth." Most PC ports of games blow away the console version. That isn't the problem. There are actually a few issues that I see...

The first and biggest problem is, when PC games come out, they're developed for the most state of the art system available. Therein lies the biggest problem. Most new games that come out won't play on older PC's. And when I say older, it could be as little as six months.

When you buy a console, say an XBox or a PS3, you're set within those hardware specs. The game developers have to meet those demands.

For a PC, you're not only dealing with a much larger variety of available hardware, but you're also dealing with a technology that changes on an average of a month. PC technology has slowed some, but it used to be that by the time you bought the computer and brought it home, they were already releasing something new.

For these reasons, PC games are always going to be better than a console game in terms of technology, particularly graphics and playability, but they will never be able to cash in on a huge market unless the game becomes super popular and stays on the market a long time, like Doom did, Quake, WoW, etc.

Another issues is with a lot of these PC games that are online only. They can be the most awesome game on the planet, but they're still effected by the people issue. The moment personal competition became part of it, it became less likely that the casual gamer was going to get involved.

If you buy a game and play it at home for a while, you can get good enough to beat the computer or what have you. But a large majority of these guys who play online, do so for hours and hours. The moment you log in to try the game out, you can instantly lose, which takes a lot of the fun out of it. The casual gamer is pretty much screwed unless he can find a group of players in the same skill level and meet them online.

Mathius
Mathius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 12:56 AM   #6
sixerfan82
College star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathius
If you buy a game and play it at home for a while, you can get good enough to beat the computer or what have you. But a large majority of these guys who play online, do so for hours and hours. The moment you log in to try the game out, you can instantly lose, which takes a lot of the fun out of it. The casual gamer is pretty much screwed unless he can find a group of players in the same skill level and meet them online.

Mathius

yea, that's one of the reasons i don't play online much anymore. however, some games do take measure to separate people by ranks in some sort of fashion
sixerfan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: