Page 1 of 14 123411 ... LastLast
    I don't get picked last at the park anymore

Default Things you learned from experience during a game

I wanted to know some personal experience tips people got. Some tips several people told me are:
    1: When you're defending a person with the ball, put your body from the person to the hoop
    2:They can eye/shoulder/leg fake you but can never hip fake you

Default Re: Things you learned from experience during a game

I really need to start looking at the hips when I play D... can't ever seem to remember it while playing and it's so basic.

Local High School Star devin112's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bobbyflay
    I wanted to know some personal experience tips people got. Some tips several people told me are:
    1: When you're defending a person with the ball, put your body from the person to the hoop
    2:They can eye/shoulder/leg fake you but can never hip fake you
    3: when defending a player without the ball, position yourself so that you can keep one eye on your man and the other eye on the ball- by using peripheral vision. You'll always know what's going on and can pick off passes.

4: quickly realize which hand is ur opponents dominate hand and force him to drive to his off hand.

5: when your opponent is dribbling- if the ball is in their left hand it's the perfect time to attempt a poke away. time it, when the ball leaves their hand take a quick poke and then back into position. some people can't react fast enough or don't have the same moves to protect the ball when it's in their off hand.

Sometimes I drive wide, instead of hip to hip. Why? I dont know.

Saw a basketball once

If a player is right handed try to block they're jump shot with your left hand and the opposite if they are left handed

Saw a basketball once

basic but if a player is only a threat when driving give them a bit more room to block of there drive or if there a 3 point slinger get all up in there grill

also i find if im playing against a good player and they are in the triple threat position i leave my hand in there face to block there vision which really annoys people

if your going to give someone an ally off the backboard, make sure you lay it off gently and don't give a chest pass.

Banned

Taking charges can hurt

코비=GOAT

Quote Originally Posted by DevDaAllstar
    If a player is right handed try to block they're jump shot with your left hand and the opposite if they are left handed
    Why exactly?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by shlver
    Why exactly?
    I think this is more suited to a post up situation, think of a right handed player posting up and doing a right hand jumphook on a right handed defender. The hook is going to provide space for the right hand against a same handed opponent but a lefty can get inside and block the hook if you know what i mean..

Take this image(too big to paste in here): http://thehullabaloo.com/wp-content/.../11/Loyola.jpg

If the defender were to try and block that hook with his left then he could face the opponent and go in front of his body for the block whereas if he uses his right like he has chosen to he is forced to go over the body to get anywhere near the shot at release.

I guess it can be applied to when you're being driven on aswell, if a right hander drives right and the defender tries to block the layup right handed he would have to get around the body of the player or give up the drive and try and swat in onto glass etc.. whereas a left hander, providing they're in a decent stance, is nearly symmetrical to the person driving and can block the shot without going over the body or having to give up space like a right hander would.

코비=GOAT

Quote Originally Posted by AJ2k8
    I think this is more suited to a post up situation, think of a right handed player posting up and doing a right hand jumphook on a right handed defender. The hook is going to provide space for the right hand against a same handed opponent but a lefty can get inside and block the hook if you know what i mean..

Take this image(too big to paste in here): http://thehullabaloo.com/wp-content/.../11/Loyola.jpg

If the defender were to try and block that hook with his left then he could face the opponent and go in front of his body for the block whereas if he uses his right like he has chosen to he is forced to go over the body to get anywhere near the shot at release.

I guess it can be applied to when you're being driven on aswell, if a right hander drives right and the defender tries to block the layup right handed he would have to get around the body of the player or give up the drive and try and swat in onto glass etc.. whereas a left hander, providing they're in a decent stance, is nearly symmetrical to the person driving and can block the shot without going over the body or having to give up space like a right hander would.

Oh I see. Thanks for the explanation.

Saw a basketball once

Taking charges can hurt
    yeah but dont ***** out man up and take it on the chest

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by richi
    yeah but dont ***** out man up and take it on the chest
    Amen to that

I don't get picked last at the park anymore

getting open off the ball is not easy.

Saw a basketball once

Exactly