Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tips on Dunking

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease KOBEinSD24's Avatar

Default Tips on Dunking

im 5'10, and 17 yrs old and can go up and grab the rim off one step easily and near grab with no step, my only problem is when i go from the three-point wing and go and dunk i get up but can't get the ball to go through, it either goes off the back rim or it goes off the backround and in, any suggestions to help me with this?

Local High School Star

Default Re: Tips on Dunking

You're rimming it out because you aren't holding on to it long enough to get the ball down and through the rim. Palm the ball or get higher. That's basically all I can say.

Either that or try to dunk 2 handed instead. Won't lose your handle on the ball that way. I was in the same exact situation as yourself around that age and I ended up learning to dunk 2 handed first, and 1 handed second.

thanks, yea im only like two inches from dunking, i have it down in a month

HeartHustleHope

Quote Originally Posted by KOBEinSD24
    thanks, yea im only like two inches from dunking, i have it down in a month
    You think?

Not airballing my layups anymore

I gotta tell you that you have to get about 3-5 inches ABOVE the rim if you wanna dunk it. I've seen people grab rim and it isnt good enough if you want to dunk.

Holding the ball long enough is a must. Also remember not to jump too late, otherwise you will hit the bottom of the rim. I think a lot of people have it in the back of their minds, which is why they can't do it.

NBA rookie of the year

you're only 17.

work on your ups, or keep growing.

you'll be dunking in no time.

I don't get picked last at the park anymore Gad23's Avatar

i can get like 8-9 inches above the rim but i cant dunk it 1 handed. 2 handed is okay though. being able to grip the ball is a plus. practise with a tennis ball then volley ball etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Gad23
    i can get like 8-9 inches above the rim but i cant dunk it 1 handed. 2 handed is okay though. being able to grip the ball is a plus. practise with a tennis ball then volley ball etc.
    Coo thanks yea i work on my hops tues and thurs with this strengh and conditionin thang we do with bball and prac mon wed and fri and other than that i just parctice at a local park and yea i agree you have to jump like at least 5 inches above the rim but i'll get it by the end of july at the most i'll post a vid of it

Quote Originally Posted by Gad23
    8-9 Inches? You either have no coordination what so ever, or your a liar. 8-9 inches is easy dunk height.

Saw a basketball once

to get an extra 1-2 inches gie yourself a little thrust upwards when your up in the air, works for me so it should work for you.

Quote Originally Posted by KOBEinSD24
    im 5'10, and 17 yrs old and can go up and grab the rim off one step easily and near grab with no step, my only problem is when i go from the three-point wing and go and dunk i get up but can't get the ball to go through, it either goes off the back rim or it goes off the backround and in, any suggestions to help me with this?
    all you have to do is bend your wrist. when your 1st dunking it's not all about power dunks and all that. just bend your wrist and you'll get it.

Quote Originally Posted by capo
    to get an extra 1-2 inches gie yourself a little thrust upwards when your up in the air, works for me so it should work for you.
    i have that thrust

Quote Originally Posted by Q.E.C
    all you have to do is bend your wrist. when your 1st dunking it's not all about power dunks and all that. just bend your wrist and you'll get it.
    yea somebody told me that before

I don't get picked last at the park anymore Gad23's Avatar

im serious i can hit the rim with my wrist but i keep hitting the back of the rim when i try to dunk. the tip of my middle finger to my wrist is 8 inches. hmm ill try to bend my wrist. i was always trying to power dunk it. lol.