Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shooting Sleeve

Default Shooting Sleeve

How benefitial are they really/realistically?

Most people I know who wear them only like them because AI and some others wear them, but I would like to know if they are any use or not.

My main role on my team is as the shooter, and was just wondering does it help keep your shooting arm warm, eg the muscles? A lot of the places I play matches at have little to no central heating and I struggle with the cold sometimes, no matter how hard I've been working. You can't control the British winter weather either, so...

Will a shooting sleeve be benefitial to me in any way, or will it just feel awkward to wear and require a lot of adjustment on my part?

Last edited by ukballer; 01-10-2008 at 09:20 AM.

Good college starter

Default Re: Shooting Sleeve

It really keeps my arm warm and it helps my shooting.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by idizzle
    It really keeps my arm warm and it helps my shooting.
    BS :

It just looks cool. AI has it in diffrent colors, it's BS.

Good college starter

Quote Originally Posted by j Fresh3
    BS :

It just looks cool. AI has it in diffrent colors, it's BS.
    I bought the under armor shooting sleeve cause the nba sleeves don't fit all that good. What I meant by that it helps me shoot better is that it kept my arm fresh and not fatigue. But then you might have had one and didnt like so you have your opinion.
    Last edited by idizzle; 01-10-2008 at 07:25 PM.

Saw a basketball once starburythe2nd's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by idizzle
    I bought the under armor shooting sleeve cause the nba sleeves don't fit all that good. What I meant by that it helps me shoot better is that it kept my arm fresh and not fatigue. But then you might have had one and didnt like so you have your opinion.
    He's right. There is a sleeve that is designed to keep your arm warm, and there is one that is designed to help you shoot. It pulls your arm straight so when you extend your hand at the end of a jump shot, it helps you push the ball. In my case, I wear it sometimes because it helps me shoot 3's. Usually my jump shot is nearly perfect up until the college 3 pt line. There I start having difficulty, but the sleeve takes away some of the stress of my 3 pt jump shot.

Future D1 Dad

anyone know where i can find a youth shooting sleeve? all the ones i find are way too big for my 9yr old son.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by jbot
    anyone know where i can find a youth shooting sleeve? all the ones i find are way too big for my 9yr old son.
    Try Modell's Sporting Goods stores. I doubt they do have it, but that's the only place that would having something like that if they make it.

I hope that makes sense.

And you are a future NBA dad? how good is your son? when did he first start playing ball? does he know you love coming to ISH?

Future D1 Dad

Quote Originally Posted by j Fresh3
    Try Modell's Sporting Goods stores. I doubt they do have it, but that's the only place that would having something like that if they make it.

I hope that makes sense.

And you are a future NBA dad? how good is your son? when did he first start playing ball? does he know you love coming to ISH?
    do they have an online store? i've never heard of it. i bought a sleeve for him off of ebay and the jerk said it'd definitely fit a skinny 9yr old kid. he lied.

i gotta shoot for the stars, right? he's the best shooter i have personally seen for his age(9yrs old/4th grade). i think he can shoot as good/better than high school kids and i have a local high school head coach to back me up. he's been playing since 1st grade when i found out how good he was shooting the summer b4. i never have to push him to play, he loves it. also, that coach wants to work him out in the spring when his season is over. he plays on a 5th grade boys & girls club team and on an aau team(plays both 4th and 5th grade).

Thanks guys, I think I might purchase one. No harm in trying is there? If I don't like it I can always not use it lol.

Another problem though, I'm not muscley (slightly less muscley than AI right about now, I'm more of a Reggie Miller haha) so will finding a shooting sleeve that isn't too big for me be difficult? At an online/catalogue store I use (a british one, basically the only one I know) say their NBA sleeve is 'one size fits all', but knowing them thats bull****. Any help? Considering I'm from England so American stores won't help much.

HeartHustleHope

I always thought they made no difference, just for show.

Quote Originally Posted by ukballer
    Thanks guys, I think I might purchase one. No harm in trying is there? If I don't like it I can always not use it lol.

Another problem though, I'm not muscley (slightly less muscley than AI right about now, I'm more of a Reggie Miller haha) so will finding a shooting sleeve that isn't too big for me be difficult? At an online/catalogue store I use (a british one, basically the only one I know) say their NBA sleeve is 'one size fits all', but knowing them thats bull****. Any help? Considering I'm from England so American stores won't help much.
    Bump

Saw a basketball once

yea because when you're playing and running around you need to keep ur arm warm with a sleeve. y dont u just throw on a scarf and jacket! i personally think they're ridiculous, just more for show. but hey, they do have a compression aspect that does keep your muscle sort of "tight" and maybe some like the feel.

as for endurance and keeping your shot strong even after playing for a couple hours theres nothing like weight training and shot repitition..

i think a.i., carmelo, kobe, etc who wear a shooting sleeve have the right to. they're skills are so good they can wear w/e they want. but when a w/e age kid comes in wearing one and shooting they better be a darn good shooter or else it looks ridiculous, but then again those players r usually more fashion basketball players anyways

Not airballing my layups anymore

Nothing better than playing at the local park and 4 scrubs walk in wearing matching sleeves. It was 95 freaking degrees out there. Tell me thats not for show. Wal Mart sells them, come on now, nothing Wal Mart sells is for improvement in basketball. I think before I play tonight I will take a knee high sock and cut the end off to warm my arm, shoot what if I wear three or four at once...look out NBA here I come with my shooting sleeve. If you want to become a better shooter then practice. If you want to keep your arm warm and shoot the entire game, train harder and practice harder. After throwing up 1000 shots for two straight hours of practice that 40 minutes of game time is not going to wear your arm out or allow your arm to get cold. Seriously guys, you want them to look cool b/c AI wears them, or Lebron. One punk with a shooting sleeve verses someone who practices everyday, I would put my money on the cat who practices.

This just in: If you play in a snow suit it keeps your entire body warm and 5 foot white boys are dunking like Jordan

Does anyone know about how much they cost?

I sort of want one, but am kind of short on cash after just recently buying a pair of shoes.

Not airballing my layups anymore

Looks like we have another baller out there playing for looks. If anyone of my players came to tryouts or practice wearing one of these I would laugh at them.