Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 03-08-2011, 09:00 PM   #16
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Default Re: UFC 128: Shogun vs Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricGordon23
Fight of the Night

Heavyweight bout: Mirko Filipović vs. Brendan Schaub
Don't see this going much different than the Gonzaga-Schaub fight. Schaub seems like one hell of an athlete. If he continues to re-fine his skills, he could be a contender. Time to get him a real fight after this.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 10:20 PM   #17
dkmwise
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brujesino
Hes recently said he would, jones also said he would.

If they fought who would Greg Jackson corner?

IMy guess is Evans would just train at the Grudge Training Center with Trevor Wittman as his head trainer and Jones would be trained by Jackson in Albuquerque
dkmwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 04:02 AM   #18
Jackass18
The Iron Price

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHeezy
Shogon is pretty much the last of the old breed fighters who made a name dominating pride. I think this will complete the transition of old to new if Jon Jones wins and us "ol skool" MMA fans have to let go of the past.

We keep on standing up for the pride fighters and how dominant they are and how the new age UFC bobos never respect the past. Well the fighters we followed were good 2000-2006. Jon Jones will win and it's time to let go.

In my heart I'm cheering for Shogon, but I think it's time to let go and make way for new MMA.

What are you babbling about?
Jackass18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 01:46 PM   #19
Nick Young
Banned

Go SHogun! The man who took down the boring loser Machida twice!
Nick Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 05:43 PM   #20
EricGordon23
Good college starter

I want Matt Mitrione to get a real fight!
EricGordon23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 06:05 PM   #21
crosso√er
National High School Star

Rooting for Jon Jones all the way; kid is a monster.
What is he 21 years old?
crosso√er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 06:24 PM   #22
IamSofaKing
I brick airballs

Anyone who says Jon Jones doesn't follow MMA.

Im a Jones fan but against Shogun? Forget about it, Soguns a better striker and a black belt in BJJ. Only thing Jones has over Shogun is his reach and takedowns.. And even if he does take down Shogun, he'll probably submit Jones anyway.

PS. Rashad said he would never fight Jones in an interview after UFC 126, probably because both attend Greg Jacksons gym
IamSofaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 06:51 PM   #23
dkmwise
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamSofaKing

Im a Jones fan but against Shogun? Forget about it, Soguns a better striker and a black belt in BJJ. Only thing Jones has over Shogun is his reach and takedowns.. And even if he does take down Shogun, he'll probably submit Jones anyway.

PS. Rashad said he would never fight Jones in an interview after UFC 126, probably because both attend Greg Jacksons gym

Rashad did intially say that but then in an interview Jones said he would be willing to fight Evans, so about a week or two ago on mma live they played Jones's quote and Rashad then said something like 'I guess i'd have to fight him now, I can't punk out.'
Old 03-09-2011, 07:13 PM   #24
dkmwise
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamSofaKing

Couldn't disagree more. I think Shogun is getting a little disrepected with the odds being in favor of the challenger Jones, but let's be honest, this isn't Pride, Rua can't win by Soccer Kicks here. As talented as Shogun is 8 of his wins are by knocking someone down and stomping on their head and he can't do that here.

Look at their records since 2009

Rua beat a washed up Coleman and washup up Liddell and split with Machida.

Jones has beat: Stephan Bonner, Jake O'Brien, Brandon Vera, Vladamir Matyshuenko, and Ryan Bader, and he lost by DQ to Hammil.

Jones has better wrestling which lets him dictate where the fight goes, he is bigger and stronger, better reach, probably not as good at bjj as Rua. Stiking is tough to judge, Jones certainly has more diverse stand up but Rua may have better tradition leg kicks, both have KO power in their hands.

Jones also comes from one of the best camps and the best game planner in Greg Jackson
Old 03-10-2011, 03:23 AM   #25
ErhnamDjinn
“Homo homini lupus est

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkmwise
Couldn't disagree more. I think Shogun is getting a little disrepected with the odds being in favor of the challenger Jones, but let's be honest, this isn't Pride, Rua can't win by Soccer Kicks here. As talented as Shogun is 8 of his wins are by knocking someone down and stomping on their head and he can't do that here.

Look at their records since 2009

Rua beat a washed up Coleman and washup up Liddell and split with Machida.

Jones has beat: Stephan Bonner, Jake O'Brien, Brandon Vera, Vladamir Matyshuenko, and Ryan Bader, and he lost by DQ to Hammil.

Jones has better wrestling which lets him dictate where the fight goes, he is bigger and stronger, better reach, probably not as good at bjj as Rua. Stiking is tough to judge, Jones certainly has more diverse stand up but Rua may have better tradition leg kicks, both have KO power in their hands.

Jones also comes from one of the best camps and the best game planner in Greg Jackson
and of the people Shogun beat 2 were at the time top 10 LHW according to rankings Liddel was top 5 at the time and Machida the Champion, Shogun was also the underdog against Liddel due to his past performances against Forrest and Coleman, who has Jon Jones fought, none are even top 10 fighters and if based of rankings Bader is arguable # 10, If Shogun comes in in tip top shape, I doubt this lasts long, but as you guys said if he can dictate the pace Jones can win, you guys downplay Shoguns ground game to much because he plays his striking game to much, you fail to recall he is a BJJ Blackbelt is good of his back, he was pinned down by Ricardo Arona who is known for his great top game was a ADCC champion and he still sweeped him of his back, something even Fedor had a tough time doing when he was pinned by Arona. I swear the disrespect Rua receives across all the board is disrespectful. I guess ill just wait and see. Anyway exciting fight
ErhnamDjinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 03:54 PM   #26
dkmwise
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErhnamDjinn
and of the people Shogun beat 2 were at the time top 10 LHW according to rankings Liddel was top 5 at the time and Machida the Champion, Shogun was also the underdog against Liddel due to his past performances against Forrest and Coleman, who has Jon Jones fought, none are even top 10 fighters and if based of rankings Bader is arguable # 10, If Shogun comes in in tip top shape, I doubt this lasts long, but as you guys said if he can dictate the pace Jones can win, you guys downplay Shoguns ground game to much because he plays his striking game to much, you fail to recall he is a BJJ Blackbelt is good of his back, he was pinned down by Ricardo Arona who is known for his great top game was a ADCC champion and he still sweeped him of his back, something even Fedor had a tough time doing when he was pinned by Arona. I swear the disrespect Rua receives across all the board is disrespectful. I guess ill just wait and see. Anyway exciting fight

Rankings aside, when Rua fought Liddell, Chuck had just lost 3 out of 4 fights, lost to Rua, went on to lose his next fight and retire. When Jones fought Bader, Bader was undefeated at 12-0 with 5 of those wins coming in the UFC. The Bader win was a better win. I'll give Shogun both the Machida fights as impressive even though he lost 1 by decision, he looked very good.

I agree Shogun is beign disrespected and he should be the favorite since he is the champ and has had more big fights. My point was to the person who said if you pick Jones to win it means you know nothing about mma. I was trying to show that you could make a case for either fighter.
Old 03-10-2011, 05:02 PM   #27
ErhnamDjinn
“Homo homini lupus est

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkmwise
Rankings aside, when Rua fought Liddell, Chuck had just lost 3 out of 4 fights, lost to Rua, went on to lose his next fight and retire. When Jones fought Bader, Bader was undefeated at 12-0 with 5 of those wins coming in the UFC. The Bader win was a better win. I'll give Shogun both the Machida fights as impressive even though he lost 1 by decision, he looked very good.

I agree Shogun is beign disrespected and he should be the favorite since he is the champ and has had more big fights. My point was to the person who said if you pick Jones to win it means you know nothing about mma. I was trying to show that you could make a case for either fighter.
definite case for Jones since he dominated everyone he's been put up against my only knock on him is prior to the Bader fight he has been kinda protected, I mean Vlad, Vera and the deaf dude aint exactly creme de la creme, I would have wanted him to atleast fight Rampage, Machida, or Lil Nog/Thiago Silva. And now suddenly he's Gods next gift to man. The only thing going against Rua now is the long layoff and 3rd knee surgery, but as I said if he comes in the same form as the Machida fights Shogun will win.

heck even during the Chuck fight Shogun was the underdog

http://www.sherdog.com/news/articles...l-vs-Rua-17022

18-2
Old 03-10-2011, 06:07 PM   #28
EricGordon23
Good college starter

I know he is not fighting on this card but what are your guys thoughts on Matt Mitrione the guy is 5 - 0 who should they give him next?
EricGordon23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 07:50 PM   #29
Jackass18
The Iron Price

Bones is tested against wrestlers, but not so much against strikers (the best he's faced has been Vera and Bonnar), and probably even less tested against BJJ practitioners (Bonnar is a black belt and Vera is a brown belt). Still though, Bones has an insane reach, crazy elbows, strength, wrestling and unorthodox striking that could give anyone problems. I'm not sure why he's the favorite, though. His insane reach is attractive, but enough to make him the favorite over a much more proven fighter?
Jackass18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 11:58 PM   #30
ErhnamDjinn
“Homo homini lupus est

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricGordon23
I know he is not fighting on this card but what are your guys thoughts on Matt Mitrione the guy is 5 - 0 who should they give him next?
I think he's a gatekeeper at best, the UFC heavy weight division is basically Cain, JDS, Brock and Carwin as top dogs, Tier 2 Mir, Kongo, Struve, Nelson and then everyone else.

and oh Shogun considers himself the underdog

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/Sho...-Defense-30746
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: