Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 03-19-2011, 12:55 AM   #1
joe
College superstar

Default US and other forces are now attacking Libya's air force

LIBIA* :-)

Today, Obama went through the UN to get a UN resolution, which allows us to enforce a no fly zone over lybia (act of war) and to use "other forms" of military action against them (war!)

The Usa wasn't the only nation who approved of this resolution.

Does anyone realize what this means? What the unspoken meaning of this is?

1- This is the most important aspect of this... the Usa went through the UN for the resolution! Did they ask what the American people thought? No. Did they ask what congress thought? No. You might say, "in dangerous times, we need a government that can act hastily."

Direct from the constitution:

Powers of Congress:

To declare War, grant Letters of Marque and Reprisal, and make Rules concerning Captures on Land and Water;

The constitution is clear and direct. The president cannot simply up and choose to go to war on a whim. He needs to go through congress and obtain a declaration of war.

But in this case, the president didn't even pretend to care about the constitution or the American people. Instead, he goes through entirely foreign channels to start a war overseas. This is blatant disrespect to our country and should be taken as a SERIOUS THREAT to America and our citizens.

OUR leaders should have to go through US to get things done. Especially major things like going to war.

I'm not sure if this is the first time this has happened, but even if it's the 10th time, it should not be casually accepted by the people. This is WRONG.

2- We're entering ANOTHER war. In a time when the country's broke as all hell, the people are broke as all hell, and our deficit is spiraling out of control.. we're going to spend money trying to liberate some random country in the middle east? What happened to staying out of foreign affairs? What happened to isolationism? During times of prosperity this could be somewhat tolerable, but especially while we're in a depression.. this is disgusting.

People, wake up. I know it's much easier to just enjoy your Ipads and Computers and hang out with your friends and get drunk and say screw politics.. but seriously, wake up. Our government is sabotaging our great nation and not only that, but is signing all of us up to a lifetime of censorship and economic hardship. Our freedom and personal liberties are evaporating more everyday. Open your eyes people!

Last edited by joe : 03-19-2011 at 01:26 AM.
joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 01:07 AM   #2
JtotheIzzo
NBA Superstar

Default Re: Does anyone realize what just happened with Lybia (Or care?)

so you are OK with Lybia mowing down their citizens?

just checking.
JtotheIzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 01:11 AM   #3
joe
College superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by JtotheIzzo
so you are OK with Lybia mowing down their citizens?

just checking.

Of course I'm not okay with it.. but we cannot hop in to every conflict. It's not our place to do so. Are you okay with the President openly disregarding the constitution to start a foreign war we can't afford?
Old 03-19-2011, 01:15 AM   #4
Black Joker
College star

first, Joe i think he is poking fun at your mispelling of Libya with Lybia which are completely different things...

2nd, from what i've read, Obama only would commit supportive measures, like intelligence-gathering drones and other similar assets, which makes it seem like your jumping the gun just a bit
Black Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 01:16 AM   #5
JtotheIzzo
NBA Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe
Of course I'm not okay with it.. but we cannot hop in to every conflict. It's not our place to do so. Are you okay with the President openly disregarding the constitution to start a foreign war we can't afford?

Enough with the hysterics, seriously, you have a permanent seat on the UN security council, there are global responsibilities which are involved with that. All respectable democracies are participating in this no-fly zone, you aren't going it alone like Iraq (don't give me that BS coalition of freedom crap either).

Countries getting together to fight tyranny is a good thing, don't believe all the NWO BS, Obama and the government (many people on both sides want this) are doing the right thing.
Old 03-19-2011, 01:17 AM   #6
JtotheIzzo
NBA Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Joker
first, Joe i think he is poking fun at your mispelling of Libya with Lybia which are completely different things...

2nd, from what i've read, Obama only would commit supportive measures, like intelligence-gathering drones and other similar assets, which makes it seem like your jumping the gun just a bit

I thought Labia would be too obvious

cereal doe, this isn't a big deal.
Old 03-19-2011, 01:19 AM   #7
Patrick Chewing
#MAGADETH

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe
Today, Obama went through the UN to get a UN resolution, which allows us to enforce a no fly zone over lybia (act of war) and to use "other forms" of military action against them (war!)

The Usa wasn't the only nation who approved of this resolution.

Does anyone realize what this means? What the unspoken meaning of this is?

1- This is the most important aspect of this... the Usa went through the UN for the resolution! Did they ask what the American people thought? No. Did they ask what congress thought? No. You might say, "in dangerous times, we need a government that can act hastily."

Direct from the constitution:

Powers of Congress:

To declare War, grant Letters of Marque and Reprisal, and make Rules concerning Captures on Land and Water;

The constitution is clear and direct. The president cannot simply up and choose to go to war on a whim. He needs to go through congress and obtain a declaration of war.

But in this case, the president didn't even pretend to care about the constitution or the American people. Instead, he goes through entirely foreign channels to start a war overseas. This is blatant disrespect to our country and should be taken as a SERIOUS THREAT to America and our citizens.

OUR leaders should have to go through US to get things done. Especially major things like going to war.

I'm not sure if this is the first time this has happened, but even if it's the 10th time, it should not be casually accepted by the people. This is WRONG.

2- We're entering ANOTHER war. In a time when the country's broke as all hell, the people are broke as all hell, and our deficit is spiraling out of control.. we're going to spend money trying to liberate some random country in the middle east? What happened to staying out of foreign affairs? What happened to isolationism? During times of prosperity this could be somewhat tolerable, but especially while we're in a depression.. this is disgusting.

People, wake up. I know it's much easier to just enjoy your Ipads and Computers and hang out with your friends and get drunk and say screw politics.. but seriously, wake up. Our government is sabotaging our great nation and not only that, but is signing all of us up to a lifetime of censorship and economic hardship. Our freedom and personal liberties are evaporating more everyday. Open your eyes people!

Umm if anything, the U.N. has been a disgrace for not acting sooner on a number of Middle-East conflicts throughout the years. The mere fact that they agreed to something this time around probably speaks on the charismatic abilities of President Obama. We should be celebrating the U.N.'s involvement actually, not condemning it.
Patrick Chewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 01:20 AM   #8
Riddler
Step 11

Joe... I can assure you that most people don't give a $hit.
Riddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 01:20 AM   #9
vapid
Paranoid Android

Open your eyes Jizzo. Gawd.
vapid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 01:21 AM   #10
joe
College superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by JtotheIzzo
Enough with the hysterics, seriously, you have a permanent seat on the UN security council, there are global responsibilities which are involved with that. All respectable democracies are participating in this no-fly zone, you aren't going it alone like Iraq (don't give me that BS coalition of freedom crap either).

Countries getting together to fight tyranny is a good thing, don't believe all the NWO BS, Obama and the government (many people on both sides want this) are doing the right thing.

Lol what? I don't mention NWO once in my post nor do I believe in it.

The Usa getting together with other countries and making decisions without any respect for the US constitution is a bad thing. Forget the morals of "well, they're fighting tyranny so it's good." It's not good period, regardless of their intentions. Going through congress for a declaration of war was put into the constitution for good reason. We can't just pick and choose when we're going to follow it and when we won't.

Besides, who says the USA is doing the right thing? Sure it seems noble to fight a tyrannical government. But how many times have we done such a thing, only to prop up another dictator in his place? It's not like we're automatically acting in a morally responsible way just because we have good intentions.
Old 03-19-2011, 01:23 AM   #11
joe
College superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Joker

Quote:
The United Nations Security Council approved a resolution Thursday evening authorizing a no-fly zone over Libya and other military action against Libya, as the Obama administration worked to ready plans to enforce a no-fly zone with help from Arab and European allies.

The vote was 10-0 with five abstentions, including Russia, Germany and China.

Libya, in turn, said the security council decision was not worth the paper it was written on, reported Al Jazeera according to Reuters.

The United States, France and Britain pushed for speedy approval because Muammar al-Qaddafi's forces are advancing toward opposition-held Benghazi. The Libyan leader vowed Thursday night to oust the rebels from their eastern stronghold.

French Prime Minister Francois Fillon said if the resolution was approved, France would support military action against Qaddafi within hours. The U.S. said it was preparing for action.

Old 03-19-2011, 01:25 AM   #12
JtotheIzzo
NBA Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe
Lol what? I don't mention NWO once in my post nor do I believe in it.

The Usa getting together with other countries and making decisions without any respect for the US constitution is a bad thing. Forget the morals of "well, they're fighting tyranny so it's good." It's not good period, regardless of their intentions. Going through congress for a declaration of war was put into the constitution for good reason. We can't just pick and choose when we're going to follow it and when we won't.

Besides, who says the USA is doing the right thing? Sure it seems noble to fight a tyrannical government. But how many times have we done such a thing, only to prop up another dictator in his place? It's not like we're automatically acting in a morally responsible way just because we have good intentions.

Yes, how dare the elected officials act on your behalf.

BTW you can pick and choose, most countries do.
Old 03-19-2011, 01:26 AM   #13
IcanzIIravor
NBA rookie of the year

The blame lies more with Congress abdicating their responsibilities. Congress holds the purse strings.
IcanzIIravor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 01:26 AM   #14
joe
College superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcanzIIravor
The blame lies more with Congress abdicating their responsibilities. Congress holds the purse strings.

Yes, Congress gets much of the blame as well for abdicating their responsibilities. But Congress does not hold the purse strings, mang. They abdicated THAT responsibility as well, to the Fed.
Old 03-19-2011, 01:28 AM   #15
TennesseeFan
Banned

Hope Obama spelled Libya right on the documents.
TennesseeFan is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: