Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer? johndeeregreen's Avatar

Default Re: I didnt make my High School Basketball Team?

Quote Originally Posted by ace23
    Do you want to play in college? You seem to be dedicated enough for a D3 maybe, just need to beef up.
    By no means is D-3 elite level basketball, but you don't make a D-3 team just because you really have a passion for the game. Talent isn't optional. If the guy can't make his HS varsity team as a senior, he's not going to be a collegiate level player the next year.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelCheazley

that is a little light for sure, troll flag

you gotta eat your vegetables and drink your milk to play basketball

one of my biggest regrets was saving up lunch money in highschool, desperate times makes desperate measures

now I'm stuck being 5'11 in shoes at best

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Stuckey
    you gotta eat your vegetables and drink your milk to play basketball

one of my biggest regrets was saving up lunch money in highschool, desperate times makes desperate measures

now I'm stuck being 5'11 in shoes at best
    I've been trying to tell my little brothers that for years. We've got one window with which we'll be able to maximize our growth and development (usually up to about age 18) so it's a crucial matter upon which to take advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by johndeeregreen
    By no means is D-3 elite level basketball, but you don't make a D-3 team just because you really have a passion for the game. Talent isn't optional. If the guy can't make his HS varsity team as a senior, he's not going to be a collegiate level player the next year.
    Half of Caltech's basketball team didn't even play HS basketball. There is a D3 out there that would take him, especially if he attends an elite basketball high school.
    Last edited by ace23; 01-11-2013 at 12:19 AM.

Half of Caltech's basketball team didn't even play HS basketball. There is a D3 out there that would take him, especially if he attends an elite basketball high school.
    You think a top 5-10 academic school in the world with less than 1000 undergraduate students is the best example to use?

Quote Originally Posted by sunsfan1357
    You think a top 5-10 academic school in the world with less than 1000 undergraduate students is the best example to use?
    You think a kid who plays 8 hours a day not making his team is commonplace? Dude probably attends an elite school if this is even true. Most D3 guys would not be able to hang with a school like Oak Hill's players.

Quote Originally Posted by blood yes
    Im actually good at bball, but our varsity team has like one of the best players in the nation

Decent playground baller

dont worry dude, i got cut in high school too and cried. i had really good work ethic too and spent 4 hours a day playing

An uglier Lamar Doom boozehound's Avatar

You think a kid who plays 8 hours a day not making his team is commonplace? Dude probably attends an elite school if this is even true. Most D3 guys would not be able to hang with a school like Oak Hill's players.
    yes, but why in the **** would you think he could get into CalTech. If he plays ball 8 hours a day (and obviously just plays, doesnt sound like he works on the shit he needs to to contribute to a team), hes probably not a top of the line student. I went to a DIII school (U Chicago) and when I was there, most of the ballers on the team were definitely above average HS starters. The point is, you have to get into the DIII school for your academics (not that all DIII are great programs) and pay for it all yourself (or with academic scholarships/loans/etc).

Face it, if you were unable to cut it at the HS level, your best bet is trying to walk on at a Junior College and seeing where you are in 2 years.

Account for the fact that he attends say, a top 100 HS, then report back.

There are a lot of JCs that have better programs than D3 schools, so I'm not sure what you're talking about there.

An uglier Lamar Doom boozehound's Avatar

Account for the fact that he attends say, a top 100 HS, then report back.

There are a lot of JCs that have better programs than D3 schools, so I'm not sure what you're talking about there.
    sure, there are. And there are a lot that dont. Not too mention they will be much cheaper to attend.

Why are you assuming he attends a top 100 HS?

Quote Originally Posted by boozehound
    sure, there are. And there are a lot that dont. Not too mention they will be much cheaper to attend.

Why are you assuming he attends a top 100 HS?
    You could argue that the NJCAA D1 and even D2 play a higher level of basketball than NCAA D3, so it'd be a better bet to walk on at a D3.

And I just threw that out there based on the fact that he didn't make the team after that much practice and this:

Im actually good at bball, but our varsity team has like one of the best players in the nation

I never made my HS teams and I was better than over half of the people who made the team. I'd hoop with them all the time before the season, after school and what not.

I was a hooper and I guess the coaches just never seen it.

Know how you feel OP I got my senior year too lol

I wouldn't recommend you to stop cardio if you're trying to bulk up because you might get a gut if you're taking supplements. Just keep cardio for your off days when you're not lifiting.

Quote Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
    I never made my HS teams and I was better than over half of the people who made the team. I'd hoop with them all the time before the season, after school and what not.

I was a hooper and I guess the coaches just never seen it.
    Maybe you wasn't in a good shape as you thought? I seen some skilled people on the court that were way better than me but I could guard them because I was fast and a pretty good shape.

Quote Originally Posted by Bandito
    Maybe you wasn't in a good shape as you thought? I seen some skilled people on the court that were way better than me but I could guard them because I was fast and a pretty good shape.
    I don't think that was it. I played basketball all day and night from about age 8 to 16-17.

No lie, people were shocked I didn't make it any of the times I tried out. When the dudes I always hoop with are on the team and not me, it was crazy. Then they find out who made the team over me, they couldn't believe either, cause they knew I was better than those other cats. But oh well.

It was me and one other homie, we never made the team when we tried out.

I only played for a league two years in 5th and 6th grade at the local Y. I was one of the top 3 players for my team and a starting guard. Man, I was so happy when I was playing there being part of a team.

When I tried out for the middle school team in 7th grade and didn't see my name on the list, I almost broke down right in the locker room, but it was too many dudes around. I went and cried in a stall for like two minutes after every one left, I had to get that out. I couldn't go to class and then just break down in the middle of a US History lesson.