Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 81516171819 LastLast
    Local High School Star icemanfan's Avatar

Default Re: NBA has suspended Gilbert Arenas indefinitely until investigation ends

Quote Originally Posted by InspiredLebowski
    None of Tinsley, Jackson, Daniels, Shawne Williams (do I need to keep going?) got charged with a felony. Apparently if you do it's grounds to void the contract.
    yep , exactly. Even if he avoids jail time by pleading guilty he still is pleading guilty to a felony charge. I can't see the Wiz being kind hearted and keep paying him stupid money.

Default Re: NBA has suspended Gilbert Arenas indefinitely until investigation ends

Quote Originally Posted by jaydacris
    collective bargaining agreement...
    Gotcha. I should have caught that.

If he get's charged with a felony, and they use that as an argument to void his contract...then ****. Arenas, I hope you have a good team of lawyers ready. Still, I don't think it will happen.

Roy Hibbert Super Star InspiredLebowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by icemanfan
    yep , exactly. Even if he avoids jail time by pleading guilty he still is pleading guilty to a felony charge. I can't see the Wiz being kind hearted and keep paying him stupid money.
    Hell the Wiz are probably praying they're able to void his deal.

Banned

it'll be interesting
    if they void his contract, the nbapa will obviously fight for it and try to get him his contract unvoided

i believe that was the case with sprewell after the choke incident, if i recall he got his contract voided, but with the help of the nbapa he got all/most of his contract back

someone correct me if im wrong

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    1997 choking incident

Though a four-time All-Star, Sprewell's career has been permanently overshadowed by an incident on December 1, 1997, in which he attacked head coach P. J. Carlesimo during a Warriors practice. When Carlesimo yelled at Sprewell to make crisper passes (specifically asking him to "put a little mustard" on a pass[1]), Sprewell responded that he was not in the mood for criticism and told the coach to keep his distance. When Carlesimo approached, Sprewell threatened to kill him and dragged him to the ground by his throat, choking him for 10–15 seconds before his teammates pulled Sprewell off his coach. Sprewell returned about 20 minutes later and landed a glancing blow at Carlesimo before being dragged away again. It was not his first violent incident with the Warriors; in 1995, Sprewell fought with teammate Jerome Kersey and returned to practice carrying a two-by-four, and reportedly threatened to return with a gun.[2]
    [edit] Aftermath

Sprewell was suspended for 10 days without pay. The next day, in the wake of a public uproar, the Warriors voided the remainder of his contract, which included $23.7 million over three years, and the NBA suspended him from the league for 82 games. Sprewell took the case to arbitration, and, as a result, the contract voiding was overturned and the league suspension was reduced to the remaining 68 games of the season. During his suspension, Sprewell was charged with reckless driving for his role in a 90 mph accident that injured two people, spending three months under house arrest as part of a no-contest plea.[2][3]
    My bet still stands.

Edit: Just to prove I'm serious, I challenge anyone reading this in some sort of avatar bet over Arenas' contract being voided. I doubt anyone will accept, though.
    Last edited by thejumpa; 01-07-2010 at 03:53 PM.

It's all in what he pleads to. If he pleads to a felony, there is a reasonable chance that he could have his contract voided but its not a slam dunk. Otherwise, no.

Quote Originally Posted by Nero Tulip
    You're entitled to your opinion, and I fully understand and respect it. But agree or disagree with him, he shouldn't be suspended for it.

Of course it was stupid, so what. That's not a reason to suspend him.
    you can pinpoint the specific gesture as the reason for the suspension but it was really just a matter of the negative attention he was bringing to the league, not to mention a specific comment that he made about David Stern that should only be said behind closed doors with trusted friends or fam.

1997 may as well be 1897, the league's completely different now. There's a completely reworked CBA now.

Quote Originally Posted by InspiredLebowski
    1997 may as well be 1897, the league's completely different now. There's a completely reworked CBA now.
    This.

I think his contract has a legitimate chance of being voided. At least a good 50/50.

Offer still stands to anyone...

Quote Originally Posted by beasted86
    This.

I think his contract has a legitimate chance of being voided. At least a good 50/50.
    If he pleads to a felony I think the odds are well north of that. 80%ish. JA Adande's got a piece discussing the ramifications of this on the upcoming talks for the new CBA. He thinks this could have a big part in fully guaranteed deals going the way of Darko's potential, and I'm inclined to agree. This could be huge.
    Quote Originally Posted by thejumpa
    Offer still stands to anyone...
    If he pleads to a felony it's a bet.

Bet now. Don't wait until something is in your advantage. Right now we don't know what would happen. I understand if you don't want to, though.

Quote Originally Posted by thejumpa
    Bet now. Don't wait until something is in your advantage. Right now we don't know what would happen. I understand if you don't want to, though.
    Ok. His contract gets voided. Now we get to wait the 8 months or however long this takes to play out.

Ahh good point. I didn't think about that.

Quote Originally Posted by monkeypox
    Yeah, but Jayson Williams was just showing someone a gun he owned in the privacy of his own home. Which isn't nearly as bad as taking guns to work and jokingly telling someone to shoot you with them. What if Gil left a bullet in the chamber of one of his guns and Javaris "jokingly" took a shot at Gil? What if Javaris actually played along and pointed the gun at Gil and a security guard shot Javaris down? What if Javaris saw Gils gun, thought he was going to get shot, and shot Gil with his own gun? These are all reasons why you don't bring a gun to work and joke around with them. Yeah different jobs have different rules. A cop can bring a gun to work, but at elementary school teacher can't. Just because a stripper can be butt naked at work doesn't mean you can too. The NBA is a place where you don't bring guns to work. Gilbert Arenas not only showed poor judgment, he followed that by showing that he didn't take any of this seriously. He got what he deserved.

this. i have had a friend accidentally shoot another because the clip was out but dumbass didn't realize there was a bullet in the chamber. guns aren't a ****ing toy. gilbo was obviously just playing around but that doesnt mean somebody could not have gotten hurt or killed.