Banned

Default Will today's superstars have longer primes due to better medicine and nutrition?

I was wondering about this the other day. Can Curry, LeBron and Durant for example still be superstars (or still in their prime) at 35 years old?
    When did Dirk and Duncan stop being superstars exactly btw? At What age? These 2 have great longevity.

Good college starter

Default Re: Will today's superstars have longer primes due to better medicine and nutrition?

Longer Primes? No, your prime is still in your prime age ranges.

Better chances of staying healthy? Yeah. I'd wager Curry's ankles would have ended him 20 years ago. Or all those foreign knee procedures players get for example.

Default Re: Will today's superstars have longer primes due to better medicine and nutrition?

Quote Originally Posted by Underrated KD
    I was wondering about this the other day. Can Curry, LeBron and Durant for example still be superstars (or still in their prime) at 35 years old?
    When did Dirk and Duncan stop being superstars exactly btw? At What age? These 2 have great longevity.
    I definitely think advances in nutrition and workouts etc. has helped guys extend their longevity. That, plus the realization that there's no need to pound their bodies into submission in the regular season.

IMO Duncan stopped being a "superstar" probably around 2007-2008 or so, though he remained a STAR for a few years after that. Dirk maybe 2012? Not sure exactly how old they each were. Hard to really say when superstardom translates to just plain old being a great player. Duncan had insane impact for like 15-16 years but I don't think he was a superstar for all of it.

Dirk had a no doubt superstar type season in 2014. Even this year he still had a all-star caliber season, people felt he was snubbed.

I would say recover faster. But in terms of sustaining, with modern training and nutrition it translate to a more physically demanding performance. In fact I believe you'll be more prone to injury due to the physicality. If the playing field is all level then there are no advantages. All things even out

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by hateraid
    I would say recover faster. But in terms of sustaining, with modern training and nutrition it translate to a more physically demanding performance. In fact I believe you'll be more prone to injury due to the physicality. If the playing field is all level then there are no advantages. All things even out
    Interesting point. Didn't think of it that way.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ScalsFan21
    I definitely think advances in nutrition and workouts etc. has helped guys extend their longevity. That, plus the realization that there's no need to pound their bodies into submission in the regular season.

IMO Duncan stopped being a "superstar" probably around 2007-2008 or so, though he remained a STAR for a few years after that. Dirk maybe 2012? Not sure exactly how old they each were. Hard to really say when superstardom translates to just plain old being a great player. Duncan had insane impact for like 15-16 years but I don't think he was a superstar for all of it.
    I see. What do you consider prime years btw? Only superstar years (for players who reached superstar status obviously)? Or star years also count as prime years?

Quote Originally Posted by Underrated KD
    I see. What do you consider prime years btw? Only superstar years (for players who reached superstar status obviously)? Or star years also count as prime years?
    It's a gray area to me. The term "superstar" to me is more of a marketing thing. Like, technically Melo or Dirk is more of a superstar than Draymond today, yet we all know that Dray is the best player of the three in terms of current importance and impact.

As far as prime years, like I'll use Shaq as an example. I'd say Shaq's "prime" was from 1998 to 2005, but his absolute PEAK was 2000 when he was literally as good as anyone who has ever played the game and actually gave consistent defensive effort to boot. But the whole time he was a superstar, and even before that he was a superstar really.

College superstar

It's already happened. Guys are sticking around forever nowadays.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Jasper's Avatar

possibly - I chalk it up to better health.

Yet these players have ton's of miles on their legs , bigs fall early and guards are 2nd in line.
    PF 's that jog down the court half the time , have longer careers.

Very good NBA starter tmacattack33's Avatar

Everybody's getting injured though.