Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567
    Banned

Default Re: Mt. Rushmore of world Sports.

Don bradman /endthread

Also for people who don't know cricket he set his records playing on uncovered pitches in an era without Helmets shitty bats and poor padding. Plus he had to face legal bodyline. I don't think any sport had had a player as dominant

Quote Originally Posted by outbreak
    Don bradman /endthread

Also for people who don't know cricket he set his records playing on uncovered pitches in an era without Helmets shitty bats and poor padding. Plus he had to face legal bodyline. I don't think any sport had had a player as dominant
    I don't think anyone could give less of a rat's ass about cricket.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by nightprowler10
    What a useless rant. Take away the biggest country that plays the sport and that's supposed to mean something. Take away USA, how big is basketball? Cricket is at least as global as basketball. Yes, there are eight countries that are competitive. How many countries are competitive in basketball?
    Criket is nowhere near as global as basketball.

How many teams in continental Europe play cricket? how many for basketball? How many pro leagues are there?

How many teams in North and South America play cricket? how many for basketball? How many pro leagues are there?

How many teams in East Asia play cricket? How many for basketball? How many pro leagues are there?

So basically cricket is a ghost town in North and South America, Europe and East Asia.

You are huge in Australia and the Indian sub-continent.

Yeah, both about the same global footprint...

NBA Legend

Scalabrine
    Adam Morrison
    Martin Gramatica
    Kendrick Perkins

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by JtotheIzzo
    Criket is nowhere near as global as basketball.

How many teams in continental Europe play cricket? how many for basketball? How many pro leagues are there?

How many teams in North and South America play cricket? how many for basketball? How many pro leagues are there?

How many teams in East Asia play cricket? How many for basketball? How many pro leagues are there?

So basically cricket is a ghost town in North and South America, Europe and East Asia.

You are huge in Australia and the Indian sub-continent.

Yeah, both about the same global footprint...
    Yet cricket is far more popular worldwide.....

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by QUIZZLE
    I don't think anyone could give less of a rat's ass about cricket.
    Odd that you would think that considering more people worldwide care about cricket than basketball and this thread is about world sports. Very few people here care which is why we don't talk about it here but world wide it's very popular regardless of what you think due to ignorance.

You have to realise that basketball isn't even the most popular sport in the usa and a large number of countries that play it have small populations even if they are larger world powers. Cricket is the NATIONAL sport through out Pretty much every country that participates. Other areas of europe also play in the second tier as does other areas of africa.
    Last edited by outbreak; 02-17-2014 at 05:10 AM.

NBA Superstar

Yet cricket is far more popular worldwide.....
    Only if you are a transplanted Brit living in a colony that didn't expunge most things British (Aus, NZ, SA) or from the Indian sub-continent. That is not the world.

East Asia - 1.6B people, *crickets* for cricket with basketball being number one in China.

Southeast Asia - 610M people, *crickets* for cricket with basketball being number one in the Philippines.

North America - 530M people, *crickets* for cricket outside of the tiny British colonies of the West Indies, with basketball being a top 3 sport.

South America - 390M people, *crickets* for cricket with basketball being a top three sport in most countries.

Continental Europe - 680M people, *crickets* for cricket with multiple thriving basketball leagues in every country, and basketball mad countries like Lithuania, Greece, Spain and Turkey.

Africa - 1B people, *crickets* for cricket outside of the white people in Zimbabwe and South Africa.

Yep, real world following...Here's an idea, turn off the Aussie TV and the BBC, go to a website from any other part of the world that isn't geared towards people in Oz or the UK and see how much they discuss cricket.

*crickets*

exactly

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by JtotheIzzo
    Only if you are a transplanted Brit living in a colony that didn't expunge most things British (Aus, NZ, SA) or from the Indian sub-continent. That is not the world.

East Asia - 1.6B people, *crickets* for cricket with basketball being number one in China.

Southeast Asia - 610M people, *crickets* for cricket with basketball being number one in the Philippines.

North America - 530M people, *crickets* for cricket outside of the tiny British colonies of the West Indies, with basketball being a top 3 sport.

South America - 390M people, *crickets* for cricket with basketball being a top three sport in most countries.

Continental Europe - 680M people, *crickets* for cricket with multiple thriving basketball leagues in every country, and basketball mad countries like Lithuania, Greece, Spain and Turkey.

Africa - 1B people, *crickets* for cricket outside of the white people in Zimbabwe and South Africa.

Yep, real world following...Here's an idea, turn off the Aussie TV and the BBC, go to a website from any other part of the world that isn't geared towards people in Oz or the UK and see how much they discuss cricket.

*crickets*

exactly
    I don't give a shit exactly which countries. Do you not understand how more people watching something = more popular? Go find a site that rates the popularity of sport worldwide. You will not find a single site rating basketball higher than cricket. It's not even debatable unless you are ignorant and live in a bubble.

Cricket isn't as far spread and at no point have I claimed it is, but it's followed by a far larger % of the world's population. Wake up and realise that just because america dominates the media it does not mean that the entire world follows the same things that are popular in america.

ping pong and badminton were the most popular sports in china last I saw rated as well.

Personally I prefer watching a good basketball game over cricket but it's amazing now naive some people can be when it comes to other countries cultures.

I don't really see cricket growing too much though, it's incredibly hard to compete on the world stage as the gulf between a good side and a mediocre side is probably the largest of any sport in the world.
    Last edited by outbreak; 02-17-2014 at 05:27 AM.

Pele
    MJ
    Gretzky
    Ali

Pel

Michael Jordan, Zinedine Zidane, Mohammad Ali and Michael Schumacher

NBA Superstar

I don't give a shit exactly which countries. Do you not understand how more people watching something = more popular? Go find a site that rates the popularity of sport worldwide. You will not find a single site rating basketball higher than cricket. It's not even debatable unless you are ignorant and live in a bubble.

Cricket isn't as far spread and at no point have I claimed it is, but it's followed by a far larger % of the world's population. Wake up and realise that just because america dominates the media it does not mean that the entire world follows the same things that are popular in america.

ping pong and badminton were the most popular sports in china last I saw rated as well.

Personally I prefer watching a good basketball game over cricket but it's amazing now naive some people can be when it comes to other countries cultures.

I don't really see cricket growing too much though, it's incredibly hard to compete on the world stage as the gulf between a good side and a mediocre side is probably the largest of any sport in the world.
    You don't see it growing because you don't see a possibility of another India being born.

Seriously, take away the sub-continent and the only contest of note is The Ashes.

The Indian sub continent has a huge population and are cricket mad, but you cant be a global game when the rest of the world doesn't even show the slightest interest. At least basketball has fans all over the globe.

Guys like Babe Ruth, Gretzky or this Cricket dude can't be on that list.
    When we're talking about the 4 idols of World Sports, I expect these players to be known all around the world.
    I don't care how many players live in India, go to Africa, South America, Europe (minus England) and ask people about this Cricket Legend. I bet not even 1% will know him. Now I'm not judging his accomplishments but can someone like this be on the Mt. Rusmore of World Sports when he is basically only known in a handful of countries? I don't think so. Same goes for Gretzky and Babe Ruth.

MJ and Ali are no brainers. The other 2 are a bit harder. 1 of the 2 spots should go to a Soccer player but its hard to decide between Pele and Maradona. My vote would go to Pele. The last one I have no idea though.

Banned

Why is it that Americans have so much trouble understanding the world is bigger than America? Cricket is played in far more countries than your giving it credit for. More European countries than just England play it, more African countries play it, all the Pacific region plays it, all the sub continent plays it, all the carribean plays it. Wake up and realise most of the world doesn't give a shit about basketball beyond knowing who Jordan is.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Babe Ruth was known outside of the US. He was known in Europe, and he is probably the biggest reason that baseball is so popular in Japan, and the rest of Asia, from his barnstorming tour in 1934.

Good article from SI on his visit there:
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...ne/MAG1130471/

Babe Ruth absolutely deserves to be on the MT Rushmore. He was the first international superstar athlete.